Week 6: San Francisco 49ers at Cleveland Browns

J-ALL-DAY

54 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Hey, welcome back! We’ve missed you. Always can count on you to say hello after a loss🙂

I've been here for some of the 5-0 start as have a different lap top and had to import my bookmarks and couldn't find the site off the top of my head. I think the most difficult games left on the season are Philly, Baltimore & Seattle X2. They can't afford to loose to any Browns type of teams and need to get healthy. 

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I got Niners, Eagles, Lions, Saints, Seahawks, Cowboys, Rams as the top 7 seeds 

Commanders, Vikings, Packers miss out on the WC. Falcons/Bucs miss out on the NFCS 

Panthers, Bears, Giants, Cardinals are clearly out of it overall 

Need to go like 14-3 for the #1 seed.

1 hour ago, NFL Network said:

Need to go like 14-3 for the #1 seed.

Eagles aren't going 14-3, so do you think the Lions will go 14-3? I think we probably finish with that type of record but the other NFC top teams will take their fair share of losses as well. Lions just have a ridiculously easy schedule so that's the team that can finish with a great record. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Eagles aren't going 14-3, so do you think the Lions will go 14-3? I think we probably finish with that type of record but the other NFC top teams will take their fair share of losses as well. Lions just have a ridiculously easy decision so that's the team that can finish with a great record. 

I think the Loins could go 14-3, that schedule is pretty soft the rest of the way. I think 12-5 or 13-4 are more likely, but I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled out a 14-3 record 

• Like 3

Just now, Forge said:

I think the Loins could go 14-3, that schedule is pretty soft the rest of the way. I think 12-5 or 13-4 are more likely, but I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled out a 14-3 record 

That's the only other team in the NFC that could go 14-3 aside from us. The Eagles will lose more than three games and the rest of the teams already have two losses. 

The Lions have a good all around team but one that will prove to be very good but not great IMO. 12-5 sounds about right. 

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

Well that eagle game makes it a little easier to swallow. Or does it make it worse because would have sat alone undefeated. I don’t know, I look at it like week 6 was a push. 

49ers were going to lose a game, and probably 3 or 4 more as strong as this team is. Some key players will get hurt, and miss time too. Just need to be concerned about the final 3 or 4 weeks of the season #1 seed in hand or not. The post-Thanksgiving push is really where the "season" starts for the contenders. 

EDIT: Also something else. Perhaps just copium, but I'd say realism. Just going through my historical rolodex, the 49ers in all of their Super Bowl winning seasons dropped a game they should have clearly won. I even remember some blowouts at home. Really this for most SB champs in NFL history. This loss to the Browns shouldn't derail the 49ers too much. Hopefully Samus, CMC, and Trent Williams aren't too banged up. On to Minnesota. Already looking forward to the defense putting the clamps on Cousins and company. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Yes, I believe that we did. 

That said, you have to make that kick from 41 yards. That's a chip shot for an NFL kicker. 

It is, but I wanted them to run one more play. It would have been the perfect time for a deebo run, but Mason has been running really well recently. 

With the wind, the rain, and the fact moody missed a kick earlier in the game, we should have tried to get as close as possible. 

I know Mason has fumbled some in camp but Fred and greenlaw are monsters when it comes to punching the ball out. Correct me if I am wrong but he didn't have a fumbling issue in college? 

I understand the idea behind keeping the TO and an extra play in case it's a bad snap or whatever, but pepper has been very reliable. I just don't think the risk of a bad snap / fumble was greater than the reward of getting closer given the fact we have a rookie kicker and it's rainy/windy. 

Kyle has talked about how he doesn't practice with wet footballs. We have had some really bad QB play in the rain. Hopefully Purdy takes it upon himself to get that sorted out. Needs some stickum on the hands or some gloves. He needs to practice with that occasionally to get used to it. It's hard not to be considered that he is not a good "bad weather QB"

• Like 2

Just now, N4L said:

It is, but I wanted them to run one more play. It would have been the perfect time for a deebo run, but Mason has been running really well recently. 

With the wind, the rain, and the fact moody missed a kick earlier in the game, we should have tried to get as close as possible. 

I know Mason has fumbled some in camp but Fred and greenlaw are monsters when it comes to punching the ball out. Correct me if I am wrong but he didn't have a fumbling issue in college? 

I understand the idea behind keeping the TO and an extra play in case it's a bad snap or whatever, but pepper has been very reliable. I just don't think the risk of a bad snap / fumble was greater than the reward of getting closer given the fact we have a rookie kicker and it's rainy/windy. 

Kyle has talked about how he doesn't practice with wet footballs. We have had some really bad QB play in the rain. Hopefully Purdy takes it upon himself to get that sorted out. Needs some stickum on the hands or some gloves. He needs to practice with that occasionally to get used to it. It's hard not to be considered that he is not a good "bad weather QB"

Also - all this isn't to say this was the only reason the niners lost. Calamady of errors in this game 

ALSO - This was our first regular season loss in almost a full calendar year. The KC game was 10/23/22. That's 15 regular season wins in a row, plus two playoff wins. 

Let's take a second to appreciate how awesome that streak was. Jimmy Garoppolo was our QB when it started. 

• Like 4

The Vikings game is going to be a bit tricky one. They have been competitive in all their losses and are starting to play better on the defensive side of the ball. Trent Williams is likely to miss the game as he only played because of the adrenaline. CMC and Deebo may miss the game and we don't know the status of Greenlaw yet. We haven't had any major injury yet but these are some lingering ones that will hurt the team some. Without Williams, we have a bottom 3 OL in the league. The Vikings have some guys up front that can get after it. 

Purdy is going to need to find a way to bounce back but one thing is clear, Mason has EARNED more carries every single week. Kyle needs to stop being stubborn and feed the man 8-10 carries a game. It's pretty much what we said about Mitchell but it needs to be done.

Oliver simply put does not have the movement skills nor the speed to be effective in the slot. Lenoir would be great in that spot and if we can make a trade for someone to play the outside or just have Womack play the outside when he returns, that would make the secondary better. 

VERY pleased with the performance of Gregory. I think he is THE guy opposite Bosa going forward with Jackson getting sprinkled in as well as Ferrell. 

Not too mad at the loss as it is a game I had penciled in as a loss for weeks but then changed my mind after the Cowboys game....Just was on a high after that performance but this game was always going to be tough. 

Need to beat the Vikings and then we will be in another tough one against the Bengals. That defense is going to be hell to deal with so hopefully Williams is back for that game. 

Get to 7-1 at the bye week and we will be in pole position to grab the #1 seed. 

Next 2 games will def be tough. Vikings are better than their record suggests & it'll likely be a 1 score game either way. Then we have a short week to play the Bengals who are coming off their bye with Burrow getting healthy. 

I think we end up 6-2 going into our bye with a close W vs the Vikings & a close L vs the Bengals

18 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Next 2 games will def be tough. Vikings are better than their record suggests & it'll likely be a 1 score game either way. Then we have a short week to play the Bengals who are coming off their bye with Burrow getting healthy. 

I think we end up 6-2 going into our bye with a close W vs the Vikings & a close L vs the Bengals

And honestly, that would be disappointing. Definitely possible we lose one of the next two games but if that happens, yeah, the #1 seed is going to be awfully hard to get. We will still have the Jaguars, Seahawks x2, Eagles, Rams and the Ravens remaining. We need to be 7-1 so we can drop two games the rest of the way and still end up with the #1 seed.

The team needs to figure it out and find a way to win the next two games period. 

From the start to the bitter very end, this was one of the worst Shanahan 49ers games I've ever watched. And you know what? It is what it is.

There isn't much to take away from this game other than, Shanahan needs to learn how to use other pieces (Kittle) when CMC goes down. It felt like Shanny didn't know what to do when CMC was out. 

We can't win them all and I've penciled this game in as a loss going all the way back to the schedule release. Still sucks losing, especially the way we did, but now this team doesn't have to manufacture motivation each week. This loss was embarrassing and exposed a few things, a few fixable things. 

I feel sorry for the Vikings this week.

• Like 1