NFL 100th anniversary team is around the corner. Who will be the QBs?

TecmoSuperJoe

The 75th anniversary team was way back in 1994. The 100th anniversary team will be in 2019. In 1994 the team had 48 players for the 75th. In 1969 for the 50th anniversary there were 45 players. It will be interesting to see if they will expand the roster for the 100th. I think it would be hard to keep it at 48.

For the QB position I especially think only 4 slots would be hard to go with. I think you'd at least need 5. Even so, I'm excited to see who the selectors will pick.

So last time it was 

Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, and Joe Montana. 

I feel like you'd have to have Tom Brady and Peyton Manning there. That would make it six though. I can't see leaving any of the previous four out however. I also feel Marino, Elway, and Rodgers deserve consideration. 

What would your list be? 

http://www.nfl.com/history/legends/75th

They bump it up to a 53 man roster adding 5 slots, but I don't see them adding more than 1 QB at most, because that only leaves them with 4 more slots to fill all the great players of the past 20+ before they have to start dropping or snubbing guys.

For instance, here is the 2000's all decade team https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_2000s_All-Decade_Team. As far as I can tell, none of those guys are on the All time team and yet the list includes a dozen+ HOFers and several guys considered to be GOAT contenders at their position.

If they only add 5 guys you can get Tom Brady, LaDainian Tomlinson, Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez,  and Ray Lewis before you can't add any more without taking older guys off.

I know your question was specifically about QB's but Unless they drastically add roster spots, drop a ton of older guys, or change the way the list works by creating different eras rosters, the rest of the roster will impact the QB's.

TB and PM deserve far more consideration than any other players not on the list, The only way they add more than those 2 guys is if they drop Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham, which i'm sure they will be reluctant to do.

38 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I don't know. But from what I've looked into 2019 is supposed to be the season celebrating it. 1994 was also the 75th. 25 more years is...2019...right? 

Oh, okay, I didn't know about the 75th.  Then I suppose the Packers can celebrate 100 years in 2018 instead of 2019.  B|

3 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

If they only add 5 guys you can get Tom Brady, LaDainian Tomlinson, Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez,  and Ray Lewis before you can't add any more without taking older guys off.

And this is a ridiculous premise I've always detested. 90% of players today are better than than most players from even just over 20 years ago. The game has evolved but the play of players has become even more refined and high-end/athletic than it was back in the day. 20 years from now, most of the players we know and love will likely be overshadowed by future stars due to the evolving sports world.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

And this is a ridiculous premise I've always detested. 90% of players today are better than than most players from even just over 20 years ago. The game has evolved but the play of players has become even more refined and high-end/athletic than it was back in the day. 20 years from now, most of the players we know and love will likely be overshadowed by future stars due to the evolving sports world.

While it's true that if we had a time machine, Most top college programs would probably stomp the crap out of most teams who played back in the 50s and before, the evolution of humans as athletes is beginning to drop off as we get closer and closer to peaks, which do exist physically and physiologically. The gap between every 20 years worth of players is starting to shrink and I doubt it's a given that in 20 years our current HOFers will be overshadowed other than in terms of statistics due to changing of game rules.

I would also say that while it sucks that in a straight "Player A vs Player B" scenario, most current players would obviously drop older guys straight off the list to the point of a 100 year anniversary team containing mostly guys who played in the past 20 years with a sprinkling of your Rices and Montanas, you also have to consider legend when putting together a roster like this. 

I would not be surprised if they do a "best 53 players of the Superbowl era" at 100 years instead of actually trying to put together a list of players to snub. Either that, or they will do 2 teams, either 1st and 2nd team, or a NFC/NFL vs AFC/AFL roster, or whatever.

Just now, TXsteeler said:

While it's true that if we had a time machine, Most top college programs would probably stomp the crap out of most teams who played back in the 50s and before, the evolution of humans as athletes is beginning to drop off as we get closer and closer to peaks, which do exist physically and physiologically. The gap between every 20 years worth of players is starting to shrink and I doubt it's a given that in 20 years our current HOFers will be overshadowed other than in terms of statistics due to changing of game rules.

I would also say that while it sucks that in a straight "Player A vs Player B" scenario, most current players would obviously drop older guys straight off the list to the point of a 100 year anniversary team containing mostly guys who played in the past 20 years with a sprinkling of your Rices and Montanas, you also have to consider legend when putting together a roster like this. 

I would not be surprised if they do a "best 53 players of the Superbowl era" at 100 years instead of actually trying to put together a list of players to snub. Either that, or they will do 2 teams, either 1st and 2nd team, or a NFC/NFL vs AFC/AFL roster, or whatever.

Oh sure. There are certainly greats from the older days that would be there now. But if we look at it objectively, we'd probably see 60-70% of players would be from the last 25 years. 

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Oh, okay, I didn't know about the 75th.  Then I suppose the Packers can celebrate 100 years in 2018 instead of 2019.  B|

The Packers were founded in 1919 on August 11th, so their first season took place in what would have been considered the "1919 season" starting in the late summer/early fall and concluding in the winter. So their 100th anniversary will be on August 11th 2019, which is typically when the first preseason game is played of that season, so the packers will presumably host that years Hall of Fame game unless they have a separate process for determining that.

I have no idea why the NFL would celebrate its 100 year anniversary a year early though.

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

Oh sure. There are certainly greats from the older days that would be there now. But if we look at it objectively, we'd probably see 60-70% of players would be from the last 25 years. 

And that ends up begging the question of why we would bother having a "100 year anniversary team" at all if it mainly includes guys who played in the past 2 decades. For it to actually mean anything and celebrate the full 100 years, they need at least somewhat equal representation across the whole 100 years. I would be interested in seeing how the 75th team was spread out by decade, and I'd do it myself but i'm currently procrastinating on other HW due in 2 hours anyways so I can't right now. But it looks pretty like every decade from the 40s up was decently represented with a little bit of 30s guys in there.

Here's how I look at it. 

Tom Brady- most accomplished QB ever, most Super Bowl's and Super Bowl appearances, owns most playoff stats, most playoff wins by a mile, is currently blowing the previous record for most wins off, is an elite top 5 in every stat and has the best combination of bulk stats and efficiency ever, sustained excellence throughout his career and was at one time the youngest player to win a Super Bowl and is now the oldest. Easily the biggest winner in NFL history. 

Peyton Manning- the best statistical QB ever. Owned every major stat record when he retired. Has the record for MVP's. 

Johnny Unitas- The most influential QB of all time. Changed the game on how the QB position was played and his influence is still felt today. 

These are the guys I think you MUST put in. Most accomplished, best stats, most influential. Those are the ultimate superlatives. 

The next is hard. Do you give it to Montana for at one time being the most accomplished? Do you look at Dan Marino for having the best stats once upon a time ago. Do you go with Otto Graham as the greatest of a day long since passed? Do you head to Baugh as the original innovator?

Since I think you are kind of forced to put in two guys from the 2000's I think you probably need to put in someone older. If you add Montana you get a 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's (only early though), 00's and 10's representation. If you don't you pretty much lose the 80's from QB representation but you lose that really early era you could gain with Baugh. 

Honestly make it 5. Baugh, Unitas, Montana, Manning, Brady. You get pretty much every era represented. It's kind of weird looking at that group and saying Montana is probably the least important in it.

8 hours ago, Pugger said:
8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I don't know. But from what I've looked into 2019 is supposed to be the season celebrating it. 1994 was also the 75th. 25 more years is...2019...right? 

"Anniversary" is misleading. It is the 100th year of the league. There is no year 0; 1920 is year 1.

Archived