Week 6 thoughts

Mid Iowa

Breaking News: Pete Carmichael SUCKS!!!!!!!

This is frustrating. Drive the ball down the field, only to have zero imagination in the red zone.

Carr didn't lose this, although I wouldn't call his play brilliant. I don't really want to blame our defense either, but they couldn't stop the Red Zone threat, and we couldn't capitalize on our attempts.

This literally has to do with Red Zone efficiency. Saints, 0/3. Texans, 2/4. 

We won in time of possession, 1st downs, passing yards, return yards... And lost in RZ efficiency, Rushing yards, penalties, and ultimately scoring.

If Dennis Allen doesn't do something about an OC, I'm likely done watching for the season. I've got other crap to do, and I have no faith in our team right now.

We are a bad team. That's all. 

Dennis Allen isn't head coach material. He's a good defensive coordinator, but that's all. 

Offense has talent, but can't block anyone and has atrocious playcalling.

Defense lacks discipline in the secondary and we have no pass rush outside of Granderson.

Special teams is a joke. Just... wow. 

We're stuck with this for another year. Hopefully we clean house after next season and don't mortgage anymore of our future on this roster. We're still hanging on to the threads of the Payton/Brees era. We need a clean slate.

(Psst @Mid Iowa, I may have jumped the gun on making a thread. At least we have an Around The NFL thread now.)

Edited by JMG5

7 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Breaking News: Pete Carmichael SUCKS!!!!!!!

This is frustrating. Drive the ball down the field, only to have zero imagination in the red zone.

Carr didn't lose this, although I wouldn't call his play brilliant. I don't really want to blame our defense either, but they couldn't stop the Red Zone threat, and we couldn't capitalize on our attempts.

This literally has to do with Red Zone efficiency. Saints, 0/3. Texans, 2/4. 

We won in time of possession, 1st downs, passing yards, return yards... And lost in RZ efficiency, Rushing yards, penalties, and ultimately scoring.

If Dennis Allen doesn't do something about an OC, I'm likely done watching for the season. I've got other crap to do, and I have no faith in our team right now.

They've sold the same tale since Drew retired. They try to convince us that they're a good team, but they're just not. I can handle bad football when expectations are that you're going to have a Top 5-10 pick. It's very difficult to deal with terrible football when your expectations are to win the division with a weak schedule. 

I just don’t understand we literally have a guy who around the league is nicknamed “slant boy” due to compiling an absurd amount of yardage on that route throughout his career. Yet we hardly utilize him anymore on that route. On that final drive the Texans were sending all out blitz’s the last several plays of the game. They weren’t hiding it either. Why on earth would we not utilize Michael Thomas over the middle in man coverage with literally no linebackers in the middle of the field. There was plenty of time and we had a timeout, I just don’t get the panic vertical shots on those final plays.

This game definitely came down to poor playcalls, a liability at kicker, and a few silly penalties. The Texans didn’t do anything special today. The Saints just couldn’t get out of their own way yet again. This team should only have 1 loss this year, but between our terrible kicker and poor play calling are sitting at 3 losses. The Bucs game is the only game we were truly outplayed so far this year. Incredibly frustrating to watch this team beat themselves.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

For years (and I mean many years) when we've called for a mass during of staff, I'll I've read is "and replace him/them with who?"

In the meantime, there are about 20 teams who sucked, and managed to find the new "who" in the bushes somewhere. Yes, Loomis is a cap management Jedi master, no doubt. Outside of that? Seems like the entire organization is sitting in their comfort zone.

We have injuries... We've had bad seasons even with Brees... There was a dollar eclipse... Whatever the excuse, I'm damn tired of it. Win, or GTFO!

I don't have enough liver for this crap.

Edited by Mid Iowa
  • Like 1

Sadly, I am unable to watch the games but I DO watch the interviews, highlights, etc. With that said, why do we attempt "naked screens"? We're down 7... what do you call Pete? Pete: I know, let's get the ball to Kamara, our playmaker. Oh, and let's not design plays where the offense pulls and blocks for those players that are targeted? What a load of rubbish. Need a new look...

Oh and listening to DA (aka BigMoob) was atrocious. What a pathetic excuse for a head coach. On paper, you should be top of the division but nope... that mediocrity stems from top down. Sure, maybe guys are missing things... HELLO Mr. Allen... that begins with you >.<

I will say for as frustrating as this season has been, it’s pretty wild to think if our kicker was a bit more clutch, we would be tied for the best record in the NFL. Not saying there aren’t issues to work out, but I don’t think things are as bleak as they may seem.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I will say for as frustrating as this season has been, it’s pretty wild to think if our kicker was a bit more clutch, we would be tied for the best record in the NFL. Not saying there aren’t issues to work out, but I don’t think things are as bleak as they may seem.

The playcalling is pretty bleak my friend. There's just no way around that fact. The coaching is what it is though. 

16 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Problem is we've played garbage dump teams and still are where we are.  Two of our wins might have been against the two worst teams in the league.  We've lost to any team that can manage a .500 or better record, which is only two of six. 

If we were even a little bit good, we would've found a way to be above .500 by now.

• Like 2

What also stinks is, we're going to end up middle(ish) of the road - yet again - on draft day. As it stands right now, we'd be at #14.

Chicago holds Carolina's #1 pick, so basically they'll have #1 and possibly #2 because they both suck. There goes Caleb Williams, and hell, if you're ballsy enough, you take QB with both your top picks, and then trade one of them for a haul. And Denver, Cardinals, Patriots, Vikings, and Raiders would all like a QB, too. Ugh.

I'm guessing we'll draft a TE or OT...

We give Ireland a lot of credit for selecting really good hidden gems, but his crew has missed on QBs and O-lineman. They've nailed it on defense and skilled positions (outside QB), so I'm not overly hopeful of seeing much improvement through the draft. And even if we did get a marquee player, who's going to coach them up? Our coaching situation (on offense, and both trenches) is broken.

In Carmichael we trip...I mean trust...derp.

Edited by Mid Iowa

4 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Problem is we've played garbage dump teams and still are where we are.  Two of our wins might have been against the two worst teams in the league.  We've lost to any team that can manage a .500 or better record, which is only two of six. 

If we were even a little bit good, we would've found a way to be above .500 by now.

The good news is our schedule really doesn’t get much more difficult the rest of the season. The NFC is an absolute joke this year. If our kicker makes those kicks against Houston or Green Bay, the perspective is much different on the season.

Our QB also had a shoulder injury against Green Bay and played against the Bucs when he clearly still wasn’t ready to go. One could definitely argue those 2 games potentially play out differently without that injury.

Regardless we have a great defense that will keep us in just about every game. We have plenty of talent on offense to improve on that side of the ball as the season goes on. Obviously the big gripe has been playcalling on offense. Still a big concern, but one that is fixable. I don’t think anyone thinks we are legit super bowl contenders, but in this current state of the NFC, I think we have the pieces to be among the better teams.

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

We have plenty of talent on offense to improve on that side of the ball as the season goes on. Obviously the big gripe has been playcalling on offense. Still a big concern, but one that is fixable.

Yes, fixable. But it won't get fixed. We've dealt with this for what, 14 years? Most of those in conjunction with Payton/Brees, yet we hang out hats on him and "just keep doing what we're doing". This is the way. This is the frustrating way.