Week 6 thoughts

Mid Iowa

17 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yes, fixable. But it won't get fixed. We've dealt with this for what, 14 years? Most of those in conjunction with Payton/Brees, yet we hang out hats on him and "just keep doing what we're doing". This is the way. This is the frustrating way.

I agree we had our problems during that era (Brees/Payton) as well. The one thing we rarely had during that 15 year era was a good defense. We currently have a great one. There’s the old adage that “defense wins championships”. Admittedly that is very optimistic with the current state of the offense (Carmichael), but I do think our defense keeps us competitive on a weekly basis even if it’s frustrating and hard to watch.

Best case scenario, we move on from Carmichael in the next few weeks and get a new offensive mind calling plays. Assuming we have someone competent come in, it might just be the spark needed for this team. Obviously that is still a bit of wishful thinking, but I do think the pieces are there to have a solid offense.

• Like 1

Please don't misunderstand me here. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. I DO have faith in this team (as frustrating as it may be). I have been looking at numbers and one word can sum up the current issues. Discipline (well, in this case, the lack of). DA is soft, pure and simple. Like all organizations, discipline stems from the top down... looking at the coaching staff here. 

@tyler735 brings up a good point though, about the kicking game. The woes there are troublesome, for sure. Also, this defense keeps us in games... period... hats off to them. Aside from that, what do we have? We have A LOT of the tools that make a great team. It's not like we lack talent... we lack the coaches that are knowledgeable enough to harness that talent. 

Hopefully they get it together within the next two weeks. If the offense still struggles... please find another play caller. Pete's a decent OC, just a piss poor playcaller.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

We have A LOT of the tools that make a great team. It's not like we lack talent... we lack the coaches that are knowledgeable enough to harness that talent. 

If the offense still struggles... please find another play caller. Pete's a decent OC, just a piss poor playcaller.

You bring up a great point(s). Look at some of the teams that are basically "no name" teams. The Detroit comes to mind. Basically a team of hand-me-down players with a few big names. Jaguars, same as Detroit. Both have top draft pick QBs, but one was ousted from his former team.

And then look at our former coach, sitting at 1-5. The former God of the NFL "leading" the Patriots to a top 5 draft pick.

Maybe I just need to chill and give Carr more than 6 games to adjust to an all new team. I guess even the darling Peyton Manning stunk it up in his first year in Indy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

You bring up a great point(s). Look at some of the teams that are basically "no name" teams. The Detroit comes to mind. Basically a team of hand-me-down players with a few big names. Jaguars, same as Detroit. Both have top draft pick QBs, but one was ousted from his former team.

And then look at our former coach, sitting at 1-5. The former God of the NFL "leading" the Patriots to a top 5 draft pick.

Maybe I just need to chill and give Carr more than 6 games to adjust to an all new team. I guess even the darling Peyton Manning stunk it up in his first year in Indy.

You don't. It never gets any better with him. Last week was peak Derek Carr. Raider fans saw that game for years. Good stats, terrible in the red zone, throwing 5 yards short of the sticks on 4th down. Airmailing uncatchable balls when you need a score. Dramatic "injury" moment. Corny tough guy routine yelling on the sidelines. It's beyond predictable. 

Good news - He has that one stretch coming. He's going to have a dialed in performance and everyone will be excited. 

Bad news - It's short lived and he will regress and have some absolute clunkers.  

I get the Saints gave him 100 gtd and he will be afforded every excuse because of it. Best not to give them to him. 

The OC and play calling is suspect. The QB is lackluster. Both things are true in this situation.

I hope for all our sake they blow it all up and start over. Carr is a .500 QB and you'll be stuck in the middle with him as long as he is there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You don't. It never gets any better with him. Last week was peak Derek Carr. Raider fans saw that game for years. Good stats, terrible in the red zone, throwing 5 yards short of the sticks on 4th down. Airmailing uncatchable balls when you need a score. Dramatic "injury" moment. Corny tough guy routine yelling on the sidelines. It's beyond predictable. 

Good news - He has that one stretch coming. He's going to have a dialed in performance and everyone will be excited. 

Bad news - It's short lived and he will regress and have some absolute clunkers.  

I get the Saints gave him 100 gtd and he will be afforded every excuse because of it. Best not to give them to him. 

The OC and play calling is suspect. The QB is lackluster. Both things are true in this situation.

I hope for all our sake they blow it all up and start over. Carr is a .500 QB and you'll be stuck in the middle with him as long as he is there. 

We all know Carr is an average QB, the question is would that be enough with our defense.  The answer so far is a hilarious no.

• Like 2

I missed this past game due to helping clear out my grandma's apartment with my mom and brother, hoping to see the game tonight and a win for the Saints.  How has the OL been doing?  It seemed like the they were improving over the past 5 games though Hurst seemed to be mostly bad regardless.  Really makes us appreciate how solid Peat really had been.

18 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

And now both of our starting Tackles are out for Thursday. Damario Davis is possibly out for Thurs.

Even with all of our injuries Penning still isn't starting at LT. Wow. I guess his benching was permanent. They'll only wheel him out if absolutely necessary.

Edited by JMG5

4 hours ago, Raves said:

I missed this past game due to helping clear out my grandma's apartment with my mom and brother, hoping to see the game tonight and a win for the Saints.  How has the OL been doing?  It seemed like the they were improving over the past 5 games though Hurst seemed to be mostly bad regardless.  Really makes us appreciate how solid Peat really had been.

They showed improvement after the Green Bay game, but that was against a weak New England front. Then everyone got injured in the Texans game and we're likely back to Week 1 form.

I figured our our 2024 Draft:

1st:  OT (Move Penning to OG where he'd be better)

2nd:  OT (Incase the 1st round OT doesn't work out, could also potentially move inside)

3rd:  OT (See above but with 1st and 2nd)

4th:  OT (etc)

5th:  OT (etc)

6th:  OT (etc)

7th:  OT (etc)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raves said:

The fact that late in the game there was an offensive huddle of Kamara, Thomas, Moreue, and Carr with Olave nowhere to be found seems to be saying something.

Yeah, what was the deal with Olave? Dropping passes that maybe weren't perfect, but catchable as a Pro, and several uncontested. Quitting on a route, and Carr rightfully came unglued. And just crappy body language. Frustrated or not, he's in the NFL and needs to get his head outta his arse!

8 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yeah, what was the deal with Olave? Dropping passes that maybe weren't perfect, but catchable as a Pro, and several uncontested. Quitting on a route, and Carr rightfully came unglued. And just crappy body language. Frustrated or not, he's in the NFL and needs to get his head outta his arse!

I'm thinking combination of Carmichael's crappy playcalling, the fact that our OL has been crap so deep balls haven't exactly been a thing, and Carr not going to him as much early in the season prolly has him frustrated.  I think if the OL was better so Carr could actually go through progressions and not have to checkdown 20 times a game he'd be happier but he def needs to suck it up.

• Like 1