Week 7: Browns @ Colts. A Game Day Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

Let’s feel things out a bit  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s gonna complain the most this week, regardless of outcomes, facts or circumstances?

• MWil, the up and comer complainer extraordinaire
    • Scrabble, the battle tested and experienced vet
    • Mike, because if he was GM we’d have Dorse GM, Baker, Jamo, DT Davis, Andersun and 100,000,ooo
    • A random boomer who only pops in once every 4 months to rant
    • The dynamic duo of LGB and DawgX complaining about the complainer’s complaints
  2. 2. Who wins?

• Whoever gets to ride Minshew’s mustache
    • Horny
    • Killer mike
    • Huh?
    • Colts
    • Browns

Levels of “me guys”:

“The elite tier”. Myles, Chubb, Bitonio, and Ward. Not giving discounts, continue to play at elite levels after getting paid. Ward cleared of a head injury and goes back into the game down 5 yesterday.

The “overpaid” consummate pro tier

Njoku, Kruger, Landry

“Not his fault he’s overpaid” tier. Played charbroiled, played on a bad team, was a pro despite being a glorified slot receiver.

Mike Holmgren and Willie McGinest:

“This seems like a great place to retire” tier. Once great, time to see how good the fishing is on Lake Erie

Clowney:

”I am a mercenary” tier. I sign one year contracts and then gripe that I’m not showcased for my next contract and refuse to go into games because I don’t want to set the edge, I want sacks. I then take shots at Myles on my way out.

Watson:

”I am a con man” tier. Rob them blind, milk an injury that seemingly nobody else can detect the severity of, and duck press conferences after quitting on your former team

Edited by MWil23

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tbh I don’t know all of the circumstances around Watson in Houston.  I know their ownership groups hasn’t been great according to ET.  Sorta like here during the Hue/Pettine years.  When a player says “**** those guys” to our organization it’s sorta hard for my default to not be “well what did Haslam do now?!?”

I think players expect a level of competence from the teams and owners, it’s a 2 way street in reality amongst those involved but many fans only want it one way

I mean, “what Haslem did now” was got him out of that situation he threw a fit over and paid him 1/4 of a billion up front guaranteed. 

If we want to talk pre 2020 I’m here for that. This ain’t it.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Man in hindsight?  Sorta???  😂. Joe Woods just looks next level incompetent right now.  I can’t pretend like I’d personally do real well having both F you money and an incompetent boss.  

His comments were more out of jealousy towards the matchups Garrett was getting. That was one thing I had no problem with with our previous incompetent defensive coordinator. Did not seem to have to do with the overall defensive scheme at all. It was about him as an individual. 

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tbh I don’t know all of the circumstances around Watson in Houston.  I know their ownership groups hasn’t been great according to ET.  Sorta like here during the Hue/Pettine years.  When a player says “**** those guys” to our organization it’s sorta hard for my default to not be “well what did Haslam do now?!?”

I think players expect a level of competence from the teams and owners, it’s a 2 way street in reality amongst those involved but many fans only want it one way.  

Bud, I’m not even sure what your argument is at this point. You made a weird Hollywood inverse to me talking about how both players are on the extreme ends of their own self before the team. Now you are using ET as a source for the ownership there. Have you thought to use him as a source for how he feels about Watson and his team vs self mentality? I’m sure you could quote him over here, and if he is a good source, you will be happy to hear him out on that.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tbh I don’t know all of the circumstances around Watson in Houston.  I know their ownership groups hasn’t been great according to ET.

@ET80 you’ve been summoned to settle pseudo beef. Tell everyone I’m right about Watson and anyone who doubts me is wrong please, but make it in your words and not mine because that just seems biased. :) 

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

His comments were more out of jealousy towards the matchups Garrett was getting. That was one thing I had no problem with with our previous incompetent defensive coordinator. Did not seem to have to do with the overall defensive scheme at all. It was about him as an individual. 

Frustrated players say things out of frustration.  He and Myles hashed it out.  

I agree with the move, sure, but I also understand the frustration if I’m him or if what’s happening isn’t perhaps what was discussed in the off-season.

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Bud, I’m not even sure what your argument is at this point. You made a weird Hollywood inverse to me talking about how both players are on the extreme ends of their own self before the team. Now you are using ET as a source for the ownership there. Have you thought to use him as a source for how he feels about Watson and his team vs self mentality? I’m sure you could quote him over here, and if he is a good source, you will be happy to hear him out on that.

I didn’t think the movie reference was particularly tricky to understand.  These aren’t kids playing for the love of the game, they’re adults at a job.

As for the rest of it I’m simply pointing out that perhaps they (Houston) sht the bed a time or two as well and it’s not as simple as “it’s all Watson’s fault” which is the narrative here. They hired a bad GM who created issues with Watson.  Like, you can’t ask for complete buy in and then treat them like the help when big decisions are made. That doesn’t work in any industry but definitely not in pro sports.  Star QBs get more pull than others players in the league.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I didn’t think the movie reference was particularly tricky to understand.  These aren’t kids playing for the love of the game, they’re adults at a job.

Which is an egregious comparison. Saying somebody is selfish doesn’t mean we are going to run through the cemetery together. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As for the rest of it I’m simply pointing out that perhaps they (Houston) sht the bed a time or two as well and it’s not as simple as “it’s all Watson’s fault” which is the narrative here. They hired a bad GM who created issues with Watson.  Like, you can’t ask for complete buy in and then treat them like the help when big decisions are made. That doesn’t work in any industry but definitely not in pro sports.  Star QBs get more pull than others players in the league.

Mostly what you are doing is deflecting away from Watson’s character on this one. I don’t really care about the Houston ownership. Both sides can be wrong. We are stuck with Watson so I’m more concerned with that than Houston ownership. 

• Like 1

This is one of the weirder arguments I have seen on this board from an otherwise intelligent poster. It’s like he’s arguing just to argue, most of which has nothing to do with the guy we have here in Cleveland.

Edited by NateDawg

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Last years team would easily be 2-4 this year.

Say what you want, but Stefanski flexed accountability the last two weeks getting wind and Sunday benching a healthy Watson. Sends a huge message about believing in the gameplan and team being bigger than any individual or contract.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Which is an egregious comparison. Saying somebody is selfish doesn’t mean we are going to run through the cemetery together. 

I really laughed hard here and understand the reference to the scene but without context it’s even funnier.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Tell everyone I’m right about Watson and anyone who doubts me is wrong please, but make it in your words and not mine because that just seems biased. :) 

Yes @ET80, tell us Easterby was good at his job

Both can be right. Watson could be unreasonable and Easterby could be trash...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Mostly what you are doing is deflecting away from Watson’s character on this one. I don’t really care about the Houston ownership. Both sides can be wrong. We are stuck with Watson so I’m more concerned with that than Houston ownership. 

Sure.  And being more concerned about one aspect doesn’t make the other irrelevant in the telling of the story just because doing do makes defending your position easier.

12 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

This is one of the weirder arguments I have seen on this board from an otherwise intelligent poster. It’s like he’s arguing just to argue, most of which has nothing to do with the guy we have here in Cleveland.

I’m not deflecting away from Watson’s character at all, because I don’t know it (as it relates to football obv, he’s a gross human in general) which has been a point I’ve maintained for a while now. I don’t know his motivations, reasons for why he’s done what he’s done, etc and have simply pointed out there may be more layers to it than “pervert doesn’t like football and has quit entirely” which is the narrative being thrown around by some with literally the exact same lack of knowledge about the guy’s motivations.