Week 7: San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Well, we were 3-4 last year at this point. Plenty of ball left, and squad just needs to make it to the Thanksgiving push in good shape. 

Jake Moody nailing that 55 yard kick was a nice sight to see. Hopefully any lingering jitters are out the window for a while. 

Lastly, no backbreaking injuries. Thanks goodness, since Warner going down at first blush looked tragic. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

There's really nothing drastically different with this team right now. We really do lose these games every year. Will still make the playoffs, likely win a game or two. Nothing to freak out about yet

We should still be fine in terms of making the playoffs, but this feels like one of those games we'll look back on after the regular season is over and say it cost us the 1 seed when we have to play an extra game/travel to Philly in January

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Bosa 3.5 sacks in his last 12 games playoffs included. :|

And on 2 of those he was completely unblocked. Wilks certainly should get some blame here, but for the reigning defensive player of the year, that's not acceptable. Look at what Myles Garrett is doing on his own. 

For Purdy's first pick, I felt Jennings looked a little slow (maybe the all 22 shows a different picture), if Aiyuk runs that route, it might not be a pick. It's also another 7 step dropback, which JT has criticized a few times.

Edited by AustrianNiner

44 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

And on 2 of those he was completely unblocked. Wilks certainly should get some blame here, but for the reigning defensive player of the year, that's not acceptable. Look at what Myles Garrett is doing on his own. 

For Purdy's first pick, I felt Jennings looked a little slow (maybe the all 22 shows a different picture), if Aiyuk runs that route, it might not be a pick. It's also another 7 step dropback, which JT has criticized a few times.

Yes JT has made it clear he hates the 7-step dropback game. Jonnydel hasn't agreed with the criticism, but it's probably just a personal taste thing. 

And yes, Bosa needs to get the sacks. Pressures, win rate, whatever are cool, but he should be doing that in addition to getting the passer on the ground. It's a guaranteed negative play. The training camp standoff is looking bad after he eventually got his money. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Didn't know we already ranked 17th in YPA against the run. That's going to look worse after this game. Is Wilkes' scheme/tendencies responsible for such a negative swing thus far???? Vikings were like the worst rushing squad in the league, and they looked like 90's Nebraska out there against our highly compensated superstars. 

6 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Oh Kyles not happy with Wilks 

Hopefully he pulls his OC into his office as well. Aiyuk had 1 target in the 2nd half... in a game Deebo didn't play. Also someone else said CMC is gonna wear down. Mitchell and Mason 1 total touch lol in a game Deebo didn't see the field. Let's have a word with the playcaller too

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Bosa 3.5 sacks in his last 12 games playoffs included. :|

So when I said is it time to have a conversation about Bosa I'm told it's scheme. Dude is an all-pro pass rusher. When he's on it helps everyone else out. I'm watching Garrett and Parson dominate for their squads. Maybe the holdout has cost him this season we'll see. He looks good at times... just not explosive Bosa. Gotta start getting some ROI lol 

7 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I made mention how Wilks calling a stunt on 3rd and 2nd was so dumb. He also needs to start blitzing from the edges more so Bosa can't get double teamed or chipped as much. Wilks is not being creative at all right now. The blitz call when the Vikings had no timeouts remaining just before halftome was horrendous, even if Ward should have just tackled Addison or come away with the INT. 

There is too much talent at the DL for them not to have more production. Something needs to change. 

Oliver needs to be replaced ASAP. 

We tend to go on these slumps every year around this time of the season. In 2021 we had a few bad losses and one no worse than against the Cardinals and last year against the Falcons/Chiefs. 

Just need to find a way to beat the Bengals and then at 6-2, we will control our own destiny. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

We should still be fine in terms of making the playoffs, but this feels like one of those games we'll look back on after the regular season is over and say it cost us the 1 seed when we have to play an extra game/travel to Philly in January

It's getting dicey but we still control our own destiny to get the #1 pick. The Eagles are going to lose some games with their upcoming schedule and we already have the tiebreaker over the Cowboys. We need to sweep the Seahawks and definitely need to beat the Bengals. Good thing the Lions lost but their schedule is very easy so they won't have many more losses the rest of the way. 

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Didn't know we already ranked 17th in YPA against the run. That's going to look worse after this game. Is Wilkes' scheme/tendencies responsible for such a negative swing thus far???? Vikings were like the worst rushing squad in the league, and they looked like 90's Nebraska out there against our highly compensated superstars. 

We've been leaky against the run for a couple of years now, imo.

We basically play the run on our way to the QB...been like that ever since we went to the Wide 9.

We prefer more of the penetrating DTs as opposed to the big, powerful types that that can control gaps & clog rushing lanes. We even move our DEs to the interior alot, trying to create speed issues for blocking schemes.

But those type of DTs and personnel groupings are susceptible in the run game can be more easily moved by a good, stout O-Line.

Been saying for years now that this defense's success is predicated on getting to the QB with only four.

Even Demeco last year was blitzing more earlier in the year when we couldn't affect the pocket consistently, only rushing four.

Wilks is going to be the scapegoat after last night, and granted alot of his blitz calls and games, upfront were headscratchers. But he resorted to blitz because the front four couldn't get home and Cousins was gashing us.

That's why they went out and got Gregory.

Our pass-rush hasn't passed the eye test so far if I'm being honest.

Bosa hasn't looked like Bosa at all yet. No camp this year definitely looks like it's affecting him so far.

AA has been invisible a majority of the time.

So has Givens.

So has Kinlaw.

Ferrell has flashed some but he's more of a power rusher who can be swallowed up against competent OTs.

Drake is still growing/maturing...he's not ready.

Only guy whose been somewhat consistent is Hargraves.

But he's again, more of a penetrator.

He's not going to overpower and push the OG back in the QB's face.

To me, the best defenses against the pass affect the pocket just a good from the interior, as well as the edges.

Our interior rush isn't as stout and overwhelming as some of the better defenses around the league. 

We are a second late far too often. 

We don't consistently move statues like Cousins off their spot enough for me.

And that affects our ability to get off the field on 3rd down and halt drives.

I could go on but even the games where the defense played at a seemly high-level (Pittsburgh, Dallas), their QBs caused alot of self-inflicted wounds that we benefited from.

If you noticed pocket QBs like Cousins & Stafford continuedly moved the chains on us because those guys have seen it all from a coverage perspective and they're saavy in the pocket. They both ripped through our zone and repeatedly found the open man because our rush hasn't been as good as advertised so far this season.

Edited by 757-NINER

1-2 in one-score games this year, and the 1 win was against the Rams who kicked a FG as time expired to make it a 7 point game 

Gota win some of these close games. 2 straight weeks with a chance for a GW drive and we lost both of them. Just have to hope we learn from them next time this situation comes around. 

Sucks to lose last night because now we have a short week against a team who went to the SB & AFCCG in the last 2 seasons. We need to stop with the turnovers/penalties & get some pressure on the Bengals OL/Burrow, because otherwise Chase & Higgins will have a field day. 5-3 is unfortunately looking realistic. 

BTW, whoever made the schedule did us no favors. We have 4 games against teams coming off their bye week - 2 of them against physical AFCN opponents, then Seahawks & Cardinals in December. 2 TNF games this year (we play the Seahawks on Thurs Nov 23rd). Even coming off our bye, we face a team who's also coming off their bye (Jaguars) so no competitive advantage. Did we make someone in the league office angry?

8 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Well it's not just this game it's the other games they'll most likely lose e.g. Eagles & Ravens and other possible loses against the Jags, Seahawks and maybe Bengals but I think they'll beat Cinci.

This team is flawed in all 3 phases of the game (offense, defense & special teams) and they don't have a QB who can bail them out the same way a Mahomes bails out the Chiefs or how Josh Allen bails out the Bills when they need a TD drive ASAP! 

There is no way I can take this team to win the SB this year as the most they do is get to the SB and that's a big if as I'd take Philly over the Niners in a heartbeat especially if the game is in Philly once again. 

36 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

1-2 in one-score games this year, and the 1 win was against the Rams who kicked a FG as time expired to make it a 7 point game 

Gota win some of these close games. 2 straight weeks with a chance for a GW drive and we lost both of them. Just have to hope we learn from them next time this situation comes around. 

Sucks to lose last night because now we have a short week against a team who went to the SB & AFCCG in the last 2 seasons. We need to stop with the turnovers/penalties & get some pressure on the Bengals OL/Burrow, because otherwise Chase & Higgins will have a field day. 5-3 is unfortunately looking realistic. 

BTW, whoever made the schedule did us no favors. We have 4 games against teams coming off their bye week - 2 of them against physical AFCN opponents, then Seahawks & Cardinals in December. 2 TNF games this year (we play the Seahawks on Thurs Nov 23rd). Even coming off our bye, we face a team who's also coming off their bye (Jaguars) so no competitive advantage. Did we make someone in the league office angry?

I hear ya man I'm angry at this team as well. But in reality they're not that elite to begin with as look at the offense as all you heard was how many offensive weapons this team has but in reality the only weapons they have are 2 WR's, 1 TE, 1 RB and sometimes a FB. You take away 1 WR and then the lack of WR depth shows up. Also when you're RB is the most important player on the offense that doesn't look good as it's QB driven league and thus a pass first game for the most part. If Brock as to throw to win or just keep the Niners in the game then it's toast.

Also the defense is overrated as they can't sack the QB and they can't cover in the back end. To make matters worse now they can't stop the run consistently. All the talk about how great the defensive line is and no one will have double digit sacks this year (where are you Bosa). Last year Bosa made up for the lack of other pass rushers but this year they have no closer on the defensive line and that will kill them in the playoffs.

In reality this team is just a playoff team but no where near good enough to hoist a SB as like I said before I'd take the Eagles, Chiefs, Bills & Ravens over them in a playoff game. Also I'd give the Niners a 50/50 shot against the Dolphins but that's only b/c the Dolphins are the AFC's version of a fraud team.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

The thing that concerns me a little is that we got to the crunch time, two drives to take the lead, two ints. 

Tried to give the ball away on the last drive last week against Cleveland before putting them into a spot to win. Same thing against Vegas last year. Limited sample, but curious

Purdy is going to need to come through in these types of games and this is where Jimmy was really good at times for us. But like he looked in control yesterday and the Jennings pass just got away from him. On the last INT, he needed to just get rid of the ball. The Vikings tricked him in only rushing three and dropping 8 so just throw it away and live to play another down. Purdy will learn these things with time but man he was real surgical for much of the game and was reading the blitzes well. At no point did I think he was getting rattled or anything, unlike the Browns game.

Rough stretch for Purdy after having an amazing start to his career. It was bound to happen. If we just beat the Bengals and get healthy for the 2nd half stretch, the team and Purdy will be just fine.

So frustrating seeing Kittle being unstoppable when getting targets and yet we just don't do it nearly enough now. I don't get why he only gets utilized when there is an injury....First to Aiyuk against the Giants and then yesterday to Deebo. This needs to change. 

Defensively, we really need to tweak some things to get more sacks. Bring the corners up a little more even if it ends up allowing more big plays...Heck, the Vikings got to the big plays yesterday even when the corners were playing off coverage. Wilks just does not have a great feel for this personnel for some reason. Like we were not great against the Rams, suspect against Dobbs, lit up by the Browns run game and destroyed by Cousins last night. This defense has too much talent to be playing this way....I know that we are still one of the best in yards allowed and points allowed but that's because it is impossible not to with as much talent as we have. Wilks is not helping the defense out though, unlike Ryans and even Saleh. Those two would make sure they would find ways to get Bosa isolated even if teams were planning on chipping or doubling him. 

Shanny does not seem too pleased with Wilks performance thus far. 

• Like 1