Week 7: San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Man, I don't know how to respond for everyone, that sounds like a lot of conversations.  The team had depth at most spots last year, but not the secondary.  Ward being able to play all 5 positions added depth.  Not elite super depth that the other 6,756,123,895 people believe in, but it was better than Oliver and an injured Womack.  Also healthy Womack adds depth.

This team will continue to play football.  The five weeks were really good, then two bad weeks.  I m sorry about how you feel, maybe a therapist might be a good place for feelings.  

The depth at Tackle was better with McGlinchy and McKivitz over Mikivitz and Not-McGlinchy.  Struggles or not, the other guy is .a solid swing/back up Tackle. 

ETC.

Yeah, DL depth and scheming these guys into good situations would help a lot.  I like Gregory though.

I don't dispute the Niners will win their share of games the rest of the way as that's not the question but heading into the season many outside of the organization deemed them a team that may very well win the SB this season. With that being said I don't see them winning the SB and I thought that prior to the 2 game losing streak as some teams are just a bad matchup for this club e.g. Eagles, Chiefs, Bills & Ravens. Are they in the hunt for a SB win? Most definitely but it appears their weaknesses will most likely undue them in the end.

If you go back to 1994 the team was so solid that the only question was if they could finally beat the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC title game as the roster was stacked from top to bottom with the only real weak areas were the kicker and possibly special teams KO coverage but everywhere else offset those minor issues. If today's team had a Steve Young like QB then I'd say yes they can win with all the other issues b/c one of those dudes can mask the other areas on the team.

3 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Very next throw was the first pick
Before the hit: 19/24, 252 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
After: 2/6, 20 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

Reminds me of Tua v the Packers last year that way. Shame Brock didn't get the chance while all together.

8 hours ago, NFL Network said:

I don't dispute the Niners will win their share of games the rest of the way as that's not the question but heading into the season many outside of the organization deemed them a team that may very well win the SB this season. With that being said I don't see them winning the SB and I thought that prior to the 2 game losing streak as some teams are just a bad matchup for this club e.g. Eagles, Chiefs, Bills & Ravens. Are they in the hunt for a SB win? Most definitely but it appears their weaknesses will most likely undue them in the end.

If you go back to 1994 the team was so solid that the only question was if they could finally beat the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC title game as the roster was stacked from top to bottom with the only real weak areas were the kicker and possibly special teams KO coverage but everywhere else offset those minor issues. If today's team had a Steve Young like QB then I'd say yes they can win with all the other issues b/c one of those dudes can mask the other areas on the team.

I don't see the 9ers winning the Superbowl right now either.  It is Oct 25th.  The super bowl is in Feb, so like, yeah.  

The 9ers almost never play those teams listed.  Each year they cange, we change, health changes, coordinators change, and so matchups change.  Plus it is October 25 so those guys will change a little too.

Yeah, 1994, those guys were the best.  I remember too.  There is a salary cap now though, so we won't see a team quite like that one.  

Steve was the man, also the highest paid QB in the NFL, or close to it.  In today's Cap we couldn't have Steve and all these guys.  

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person that remembers the NFL constantly changes.

I have @NFL Network muted, y'all should too. 

They only posts here after losses, at which point they spam the thread. 

Where was that bum when we were 5-0 and the unanimous best team in the NFL two weeks ago? Lol 

For a refresher on how to mute, on mobile, click the three horizontal lines, then click account, then click ignored users 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

He could kick the game-winning FG to win the SB and that pick will still be horrendous.

There is absolutely no value in drafting a kicker in the 3rd round.

What round was Justin Tucker drafted?

Robbie Gould?

David Akers?

There are too many variables at play to even fathom the thought that drafting a kicker that high would ensure success.

But this the same franchise that also drafted a punter in the 5th round...this is what we do.

You say this but what round would you take Tucker if you knew who he became? what round Gould or Akers?

As I do not remember who goes where, I went 2018 draft and looked at the back end of the 3rd... Arden Key and Owen Burks...

Looking at the back end of the 2017 nfl draft... lots of unknowns.  It is worth it to take a gamble on someone who could be the best in their position.  Lots of misses in the NFL draft, Moody still has a chance to turn out.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

I have @NFL Network muted, y'all should too. 

They only posts here after losses, at which point they spam the thread. 

Where was that bum when we were 5-0 and the unanimous best team in the NFL two weeks ago? Lol 

For a refresher on how to mute, on mobile, click the three horizontal lines, then click account, then click ignored users 

FYI I posted when the team was 5-0 not that I care what you post about or care when you post of if you read what I post!

11 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I don't see the 9ers winning the Superbowl right now either.  It is Oct 25th.  The super bowl is in Feb, so like, yeah.  

The 9ers almost never play those teams listed.  Each year they cange, we change, health changes, coordinators change, and so matchups change.  Plus it is October 25 so those guys will change a little too.

Yeah, 1994, those guys were the best.  I remember too.  There is a salary cap now though, so we won't see a team quite like that one.  

Steve was the man, also the highest paid QB in the NFL, or close to it.  In today's Cap we couldn't have Steve and all these guys.  

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person that remembers the NFL constantly changes.

Yes I do realize you can't win the SB in October but if the Niners did win it in Feb it would be a huge surprise but I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs, Eagles, Ravens or even Bills hoisted the SB in Feb.

I remember 1994 was the first year the salary cap was implemented and Carmen Policy then Niners GM worked it to perfection by getting high profile players to play for cheaper contracts & signing bonuses. Back then Eddie DeBartelo was in charge of the team and he demanded they win the SB after back to back NFC title game losses to the Cowboys. I don't see any of the York's demanding a winner out of the front office the same way Eddie did.

9 hours ago, NFL Network said:

Yes I do realize you can't win the SB in October but if the Niners did win it in Feb it would be a huge surprise but I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs, Eagles, Ravens or even Bills hoisted the SB in Feb.

I remember 1994 was the first year the salary cap was implemented and Carmen Policy then Niners GM worked it to perfection by getting high profile players to play for cheaper contracts & signing bonuses. Back then Eddie DeBartelo was in charge of the team and he demanded they win the SB after back to back NFC title game losses to the Cowboys. I don't see any of the York's demanding a winner out of the front office the same way Eddie did.

Eddie demanded a SB win every year, and it didn't happen. Even before the salary cap. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Eddie demanded a SB win every year, and it didn't happen. Even before the salary cap. 

But do the York's demand winning one SB in their tenure of owning the team? Atleast when the Niners lost Eddie got angry and made changes e.g. losing back to back NFC title games to Cowboys in 92 & 93.

50 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

But do the York's demand winning one SB in their tenure of owning the team? Atleast when the Niners lost Eddie got angry and made changes e.g. losing back to back NFC title games to Cowboys in 92 & 93.

Why would they not expect that? Ownership, in particular Jed has hired, and fired people still on their contract having to pay them. Kyle and Lynch have had leeway to overspend in FA, and they have on the likes of Malcom Smith. Ownership hasn't been lax with the 49ers not getting a SB, but at the same time they haven't been reactionaries either just because the goal has yet to fulfill itself. 

Eddie almost fired Bill Walsh after the 1987 season, but thank goodness Carmen Policy talked him out of it, as he did many other times that Eddie wanted to fire Bill. You're using hindsight to put Eddie D on a pedestal as if all the decisions he made before he made them were justified. And they certainly weren't despite all the success he had as an owner. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Why would they not expect that? Ownership, in particular Jed has hired, and fired people still on their contract having to pay them. Kyle and Lynch have had leeway to overspend in FA, and they have on the likes of Malcom Smith. Ownership hasn't been lax with the 49ers not getting a SB, but at the same time they haven't been reactionaries either just because the goal has yet to fulfill itself. 

Eddie almost fired Bill Walsh after the 1987 season, but thank goodness Carmen Policy talked him out of it, as he did many other times that Eddie wanted to fire Bill. You're using hindsight to put Eddie D on a pedestal as if all the decisions he made before he made them were justified. And they certainly weren't despite all the success he had as an owner. 

Lets take a moment to appreciate Jed as an owner.  He keeps his hands off of most things, but will step in when he needs to.  He doesn't let his ego get in the way, he doesn't try to stamp everything with his brand, force them to play the more expensive player or pressure guys into picks for face of the franchise value.  I am really glad Kyle worked out though, I am not sure Jed could afford to fire him year 1 or 2.  Eventually he woulda stopped paying Tomsula and Kelly and Maybe even Harbaugh.  

When Jed took over the team he said he cared about winning a superbowl, I believe him.  

• Like 2