2023 GDT Week #7 Steelers Visit The Rams

Steeler Hitman

Who Ya Got This Week Steelers visit Rams?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Can the Steelers finally beat the Rams in Los Angeles?

• Heck Yeah! We are getting better and ready to roll!
    • No. They have not solved the Offensive problems. Rams win at home.
    • I have np clue? This team is so up and down. who knows what they do?

but dotson isn't the only player much better off on another team. This is showing how tomlin is failing these players, his staff isn't getting the most out of them.  This all better turn out to be part of a good plan that has winning ways.  Right now it doesn't look good on the staff IMO. 

40 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

but dotson isn't the only player much better off on another team. This is showing how tomlin is failing these players, his staff isn't getting the most out of them.  This all better turn out to be part of a good plan that has winning ways.  Right now it doesn't look good on the staff IMO. 

We all know PFF isn't end all be all but:

A look at some former Steelers and their PFF grades for the season so far:

Kevin Dotson 85.3

Cameron Sutton 70.8

Ahkello Witherspoon 66.6

Arthur Maulet 64.8

Terrell Edmunds 62.7

Kendrick Green 58.9 (IR)

Chase Claypool 53.3

Last full season with Steelers:

Dotson 65.4*

Sutton 71.6

Witherspoon 75.9^

Maulet 56.5

Edmunds 69.1

Green 52.4#

Claypool 67.7

* - Played 2022 with a torn abdominal muscle

^ - Appeared in only 4 games in 2022 with hamstring, used 2021 number

# - Played C in 2021, G in 2023

I find it interesting to hear that Tomlin isn't really a 'positive vibe coach. Idk if that's a good or bad thing, although I'd say it's bad considering this team is a joke. 

It's disheartening watching guys like Dotson and Maulet and hell, Isaiah Buggs and  Nick Williams go to other teams and ball out and Tomlin couldn't get anything out of them 

33 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I find it interesting to hear that Tomlin isn't really a 'positive vibe coach. Idk if that's a good or bad thing, although I'd say it's bad considering this team is a joke. 

It's disheartening watching guys like Dotson and Maulet and hell, Isaiah Buggs and  Nick Williams go to other teams and ball out and Tomlin couldn't get anything out of them 

I never understood how they let Buggs go, yet look what we had and have then and since. 

all new staff would be nice, but we know that as long as above .500 coach T is here, nothing will change including canada

1 hour ago, VigilantZombie said:

Dotson is frustrating because when we asked him to be a mauler he was good, we’re just asking guys who aren’t zone blockers to block. 

Buggs was cut and supposed to be picked right back up but the lions put in a claim on him. Honestly haven’t ever given two thoughts to Nick Williams. 

FWIW Buggs is a 74 this year, but was a mid-50’s PFF score every other year. He’s playing 19.5% of snaps. Nick Williams highest ever PFF grade is a 67, and that’s 7 points over his next highest (60) and that’s 8 points over his norm (low 50’s). 

I do find it funny that it’s an issue now, but was never a point when guys went elsewhere and performed poorly compared to here. 

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-to-sign-cb-darius-rush-off-chiefs-practice-squad-will-either-trade-or-cut-desmond-king-per-report/?fbclid=IwAR1m5iZWu9kVZIRrN8zE9aYCwnm7h8cC83GqBzzKjzgM5gG2yoLK6Km8_ls

Very interesting. I thought Rush was intriguing during the draft process.. There is ability there to work with. It was curious that he didnt make the Indy squad after all their releases and suspensions leading up to the season. 

49 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1714609301531267265?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Steelers slightly ahead of the rams in OL rankings. Is kinda funny that Dotson is their best OL. 

At the beginning of the season, I thought the Rams would be vying for the #1 pick.  Their talent level was that low.  Stafford is playing out of his mind good and they have gotten some outstanding talent in the draft and FA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

At the beginning of the season, I thought the Rams would be vying for the #1 pick.  Their talent level was that low.  Stafford is playing out of his mind good and they have gotten some outstanding talent in the draft and FA.

All that plus a tremendous coaching job from McVay. 

17 hours ago, 3rivers said:

but dotson isn't the only player much better off on another team.

Hey Three Rivers, I wanted to piggy back on your thread and add some opinion to ponder. I'm not so sure that they are really better. How you atart isn't always how you finish and vice versa.  Dotson, Ju Ju, and Claypool looked like potential stars early on. Their play leveled and in some cases dipped. 

I have a bit of a different take with all of this. I ask the question what did these guys really do when they were here? I will answer: Most played "JV football the majority of the time!" We are not trading or cutting players who are really producing. If the NFL had more roster spots, Dotson is still here. He lost his job to Seomalu early, but he would have been a great rotational depth peice. Kendrick Green not so much. The team actually tried to find a spot for him and tried to help him make the roster"somehow." 

Arthur Maulet was up and down. Now, I loved his team spirit and attitude. He was very much like Mason Cole is on offense.  That is to say his enthusiasm was higher than his performance.  But Maulet was not bad. He was not outstanding, but then again, not terrible. I think he's better than the guy there right now.  Some of that may actuually be Sullivan getting comfortable in more than five games.

Kevin Dotson was a guy who started out well. He looked like he may have some future pro bowl potential. After his rookie season we were expecting him to develop into a Joe Botonio type of player. He was accussed of not working hard and even his statement of how a coach motivates you causes some pause and question in my mind.  Yes, that is somewhat important, but on the NFL LEVEL, you must have some SELF MOTIVATING factors.  Competition was even brought in and things said to try to light a fire under him and some  other guys. Dotson was not what I would call a liability, but also not what he has potential to be.  Bottom line he didn't do what he is doing now consistently when he was here. 

Isaah Buggs was another guy the team liked and despite his draft position had hoped he would work out. Our DL has not set the world on fire and he often looked like he was on roller skates when he was here.  He had some bad games and a few good spurts remember the Ravens victory in 2020 in Baltimore. He got steamrolled in the first half, but played much better in the second half and helped putthe Steelers in position to win. That was Buggs for the most part. He did not look like he does now consistently. Some may be scheme and some may be maturity. He was a guy who just didn't do it enough when given the chance in Pittsburgh. 

Cam Sutton, Steve Nelson and Ahkello Witherspoon three guys who should have been studs compared to what else is in the secondary. None played like world beaters here. We saw signs of good, but also some bad. I actually wanted the Steelers to keep Ahkello as I thought if healthy, he would be a darn good #3 or 4.  BTW: if Pickett throws the ball a yard deeper, we are talking about how Nelson got toasted again.

Cam had the higghest ceiling, but took time to develop. He started playing solid. I thought he had some consistency, but not greatness or even better than average. I thought we could draft or sign better player for the $$$. I was wrong about the signing, but hopefully the draft of both JPJ Jr. and Corey Trice will prove to be better in the long run. Cam is certainly showing better than anyone in our secondary overall other than the early results on JPJ Jr. (who has not played enough to make a fair apples to apples comparison. 

Ju Ju and Chase Claypool both burst upon the scene looking like they could be really good in this offense. Did they fall off because of the OC, aging QB, attitude, immaturity, or combo of all? Happy that Ju Ju got a ring in KC. Claypool just seemed to have some maturity issues that affected his on field play and rubbed teammates wrong. It looks like we got a potential #1 CB in JPJ Jr. letting him go. Again, he had opportunity to make plays and didn't. George Pickens is catching passes that Claypool gave up on or would not come down with. Hopefully he gets himself together and can do something in Miami where he does not and won't be "Da man."

Have they all suddenly become all pro's? No. They are doing some of what we got from them when they were good. We have more seson and games. Let's see how the rest pans out. 

This is showing how Tomlin is failing these players, his staff isn't getting the most out of them. 

I am disapointed in some things with Coach T, but I try to always remain objective. I have never heard or seen where he has "failed a player."  If anything he has gone out of his way to help many.  See Kendrick Green..

They call him a cheerleader and players coach.  We can't objectively say he is failing players when called rah, rah and a cheerleader. Which is it really?  I am disapointed with things with the team and would have done some things differently than what the team and Coach T have done, but we can't bash him on both sides.

I do think he has been a good supporter, motivator, and at times a disiplinarian as well. Let's not forget that he had to deal with Ben, Brown, and Bell. 😳 As much as I love AB, he even caused Tom and Bill to put distance between them in far less time. He got years and production from AB. As much as I dislike the lack of winning in the play-off's, cutsie talk, being just above .500, and some decisions made, the man moved on from players who have been up and down and who have not helped to foster lockerroom  leadership and winning (while in Pittsburgh).

As the old folks say there is a pot for every lid if you look hard enough. Maybe they are finding their lids elswhere.

a8c25448-b4ec-485d-aa66-3fade783a955_1.c0176110842ae7a510433c54a47f1d22.jpeg

This all better turn out to be part of a good plan that has winning ways.  Right now it doesn't look good on the staff IMO.

I think this is more media looking for drama and cannon fodder. Hey, BTW, if you ask my exes what they think about me, most are not going to give me as dazzling a report as Mrs. Hitman will.😁  🤷‍♂️ IJS, in the immortal words of Dalton, "Opinions vary!"

PhLVcp.gif

Most of these guys are gone for a valid reason. I wish they all worked out. We chose to keep Tuitt over Hargaves. I still think it was the right decision at the time, but in hindsight, they would have done things differently. The run defense was not stellar when Hargraves was in there either.

Lastly, I was never a fan of Kendrick Green being drafted. I  whined and moaned when they took him over Quinn Meinerz.  There was no way that Green was Pouncey Part Deux. Most of us are not happy with a lot of decisions and the direction of the organization. I know it is still early, but most of us were hoping the Steelers made a Detroit Lions-like jump in attitude, enthusiasm, and winning.  An NFL season is a marathon and not a sprint. There's a lot of football left, but the Steelers don't want to fall too far behind in the race either.

Hopefully getting Dionte, Pat, and Anthony will help jumpstart the offense. Also if the OC would start using all of his weapons including Mt. Washington (a TE should be a young QB's best friend), the offense may start moving the ball, putting more first downs together, and ending drives in the endzone with a TD and not a FG or punt. It also helps the defense. The best defenses are on the sidelines. 

th?id=OIP.uhXr2TfL6iJygfJcA5vtowHaHa&pid

• Like 1