2023 GDT Week #7 Steelers Visit The Rams

Steeler Hitman

Who Ya Got This Week Steelers visit Rams?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Can the Steelers finally beat the Rams in Los Angeles?

• Heck Yeah! We are getting better and ready to roll!
    • No. They have not solved the Offensive problems. Rams win at home.
    • I have np clue? This team is so up and down. who knows what they do?

33 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I have been a fan of Najee's. He is a high-character guy and a true leader.  This is something that this team has lacked for a while. He is not Jack Lambert or Ray Lewis, but a leader nonetheless in his own right.

I like what he is trying to do in leading by example. He is doing things to work to resolve some of the offensive issues by going to part of the sources (OC Matt Canada and C Mason Cole who is struggling and a leader on the OL). 

I remember having discussions with @43M regarding drafting a RB in round one.  If Landon Dickerson had not had multiple knee injuries, he would have been my pick. Since he did, I had no problems with drafting Najee instead.  I agreed with 43M that they needed to address the OL if they were drafting a RB. 

All that said, I think he and Jalen start to come on as the OL gets better. It has been a perfect storm of miscues, bad blocking, losing battles, and play-calling that have doomed any consistency in the rushing attack. Looking forward to seeing Najee look like the guy who was running in the third quarter in Houston with just a little blocking. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

This is something that this team has lacked for a while. He is not Jack Lambert or Ray Lewis, but a leader nonetheless in his own right

is it just me, or do vocal leaders need to be legit elite players? To me, there is something wrong with a player that has all that motivational speech / leadership but is  average when playing the game. 

22 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

like what he is trying to do in leading by example.

this seems fair, much better than diggs showing up the QB in front of the national TV for everyone.   

22 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

All that said, I think he and Jalen start to come on as the OL gets better.

this is what I was considering as well. As the OL gets better, the RB's will too (what a shock) , but this OL - will it get better? If they put Jones on the sidelines and Moore starts  , then I doubt it. If Cole keeps starting at C, then I doubt it twice.  Herbig/Danield at C, Jones at LT  is what WILL be legit

24 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Looking forward to seeing Najee look like the guy who was running in the third quarter in Houston with just a little blocking. 

sadly this might happen with him on a different team if they trade him. If he was to go to the Lions , 49ers, Browns, Chiefs, Dallas, or Eagles  I would expect that to go well for Najee . Then he would really punish DB's with legit running room to get momentum to run them over. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rlon said:

Great move cutting Desmond King. After all, he showed nothing when not given any chance to play. We are much better off with Traffic Cone Sullivan…good jawb. 

He played one snap on defense, blew contain, and gave up a TD run. I can't imagine he looked good during practice and the coaches were just like "nope, not playing this guy." 

• Like 2

Something small I would like to see is for Tomlin to force Canada to do is stop player specific packages. AKA our run wide receiver group of Robinson/Boykin and Austin. Tell him those groupings are no longer available. I feel like Canada wants to get too many guys involved at times both with touches and snaps, like he is a high school coach trying to get guys to letter. Gunner O does not need a manufactured touch. Hell, he doesn't need to play... so stop acting like he MUST be included if he gets a helmet. 

DJ and Pickens do not come off the field unless they tap out. If it's a one receiver set....pick one. If it's two, it's JUST them. If you think we cannot run something because of them then we do not run that thing. 

Limit the personnel groupings, but expand the things we do inside of them. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Something small I would like to see is for Tomlin to force Canada to do is stop player specific packages. AKA our run wide receiver group of Robinson/Boykin and Austin. Tell him those groupings are no longer available. I feel like Canada wants to get too many guys involved at times both with touches and snaps, like he is a high school coach trying to get guys to letter. Gunner O does not need a manufactured touch. Hell, he doesn't need to play... so stop acting like he MUST be included if he gets a helmet. 

DJ and Pickens do not come off the field unless they tap out. If it's a one receiver set....pick one. If it's two, it's JUST them. If you think we cannot run something because of them then we do not run that thing. 

Limit the personnel groupings, but expand the things we do inside of them. 

I think this is one of the biggest problems facing the offense. It's not that we do anything different than anyone else, we just don't disguise what we do at all. We run when we have our run guys in. We pass when we have our pass guys in. We never disguise anything. Plus, the 99% run on 2nd and long is the most frustrating thing I've ever seen. A shotgun run with Pickens and DJ out wide. A pass from under center when we have 2-3 TEs in. Just a little creativity would go a long way. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He played one snap on defense, blew contain, and gave up a TD run. I can't imagine he looked good during practice and the coaches were just like "nope, not playing this guy." 

He wasn't clear on his alignment on the play. Minkah had to tell him to adjust with the motion and then his reaction when the play happened was to come up and he got way too far up there and he ended up with a very poor angle then to top it off he either lacked any explosion to come close to make it up or gave up mentally once he realized he was so late and the angle was so bad. 

My thoughts are that he was having troubles "jumping onto the moving train" and his athleticism is not currently good enough to make up for understanding deficiencies or errors. Combined with the fact that they really do need better athleticism outside more than anything.

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

So apparently

Dan Moore is going to start at left tackle.

This tells me two things. First and foremost, no one has got to work for their job on this team. As long as Mike Tomlin is around.

Secondly mike tomlin wouldn't know talent if it punched him in the mouth

or perhaps he is preserving the health of players that aren't playing that should be? This is absurd, but the only other possible 'reason' O can think of.  Most teams just play the best players when they are healthy. This regime might decide  to postpone the best players if they can get by as ugly as it gets.  

Not a fan of all this anymore than the rest of you, believe it or not      9_9. I mean, canada is one thing, but  the players on the sideline is another.  It's getting to the point that if tomlin stays with the wrong players and those players cost us a few games, replace the fire canada chants with fire tomlin.  Maybe tomlin is controlling canada in much the same way as well. 

Withe Leal being healthy, does this mean Benton won't play much now either? Thats the tomlin being punched in the mouth if so, because Benton should be playing as much as he can and not Leal .  Ogunjobi and Benton - should play as much as they can. 

also, what is going on with TJ's heel injury? I saw that on the report, is it serious? Glad we have Golden and Herbig for reserves, tomlin hasn't angered them off the team like he did with Ingram and Harrison  (I never forgot that btw) 

I will be observing how Dotson and Witherspoon are in this game, as I expect both to be ready and willing to get even. 

AD will obliterate cole

Edited by 3rivers