The MVP race

Steelersfan43

7 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I think there's a good enough case to give it to a non-QB this year considering no QB is having a stand out year. Give it to McCaffrey or Tyreek.

Even as a CJ guy, I agree with this.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well, yes?

Did you see the Niners last postseason without a QB and with CMC?

Context matters. You'll see the same dropoff from Purdy to Josh Johnson that you'd see from Mahomes to Josh Johnson. That doesn't mean that Purdy is just as important as Mahomes, it means that Josh Johnson is a BAD backup QB.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

IMO, if a QB wins it this year, they should probably just rename the award to "QB with the best narrative" or something. BTW, Purdy has been a really good QB this year, but is he more valuable than McCaffrey for the 49ers?

Yes, Purdy is more valuable than CMC. The narrative is that this is a run first team because of the pass/run ratio, but every game the pass sets up the run. Rarely will this team start out games trying to win with the run. CMC is amazing, but a QB playing at this level is always going to be more valuable...or damn near always.  

The team is usually winning in blowouts so they will end the game with a heavy run/pass ratio. That skews the stats. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes, Purdy is more valuable than CMC. The narrative is that this is a run first team because of the pass/run ratio, but every game the pass sets up the run. Rarely will this team start out games trying to win with the run. CMC is amazing, but a QB playing at this level is always going to be more valuable...or damn near always. 

Purdy's thrown the ball 30 or more times, 4 times, this year. 

5 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I'm going to answer your question with a question: Who's more valuable for the Dolphins, Tyreek or Tua?

Tyreek. And yes I am 100% aware of how contradictory this is to my previous post but I'm sticking to it.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Context matters. You'll see the same dropoff from Purdy to Josh Johnson that you'd see from Mahomes to Josh Johnson. That doesn't mean that Purdy is just as important as Mahomes, it means that Josh Johnson is a BAD backup QB.

(The 49ers also lost Josh Johnson in that game)

Just now, beekay414 said:

Purdy's thrown the ball 30 or more times, 4 times, this year. 

And why is that? Why did he only have 27 attempts yesterday? This team wins in blowouts. The game is usually over by the 3rd quarter and it ends up being a run heavy script....ala Steelers, Eagles, Cowboys, Jags, Giants, Cardinals etc games. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

37, 30, 31 and 30 are the most attempts the man's had in a game this year. He's the ultimate game manager. 

this tells me you don't watch him. Nobody should confuse purdy with a game manager. If anything, he's a gunslinger. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And why is that? Why did he only have 27 attempts yesterday? This team wins in blowouts. The game is usually over by the 3rd quarter and it ends up being a run heavy script....ala Steelers, Eagles, Cowboys, Jags, Giants, Cardinals etc games. 

Because he's the ultimate game manager and the 49ers are insanely talented on offense.

5 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I think CJ is having the closest thing to a "MVP" season among QBs this year.

I think you're starting to see Stroud hit a rookie wall - teams have film on him, and he's starting to hold onto the ball more because coverages are harder now. He's taking a lot of hits, and he's starting to show effects of those hits. He's trying to carry the team - admirable, but it's going to cost hm some style points.

I do expect him to lead all candidates going into next season - especially if the Texans get another WR into the building, someone like Tee Higgins or Mike Evans.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

this tells me you don't watch him. Nobody should confuse purdy with a game manager. If anything, he's a gunslinger. 

You can sling it all over the field when you have the weapons he has, for sure. I'm not saying he's a Derek Carr type game manager. I'm saying the man has layups in his back pocket because of his offense. 

• Like 1