The MVP race

Steelersfan43

1 minute ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

So when mahomes takes a good offense to great, it's impressive.  

When Purdy takes an offense from good to great, you would describe it how?

He thinks the niners offense was already elite, so Purdy took an elite offense to still being elite 

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

I'm here literally saying that if the season ended today, Purdy should be the MVP. Such disrespect! 

It was more of a general statement in regards to the media and fan treatment he generally receives.  

I didn't read your biography, I was just responding to the specific contents of that specific post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

So when mahomes takes a good offense to great, it's impressive.  

When Purdy takes an offense from good to great, you would describe it how?

It is unclear to me whether it is Purdy who is the agent of change, or a combination of CMC + healthy Deebo (established as elite in 2021 but injured for much of 2022) + healthy Kittle (had major foot injury in 2020, nagging lower body injuries in 2021-2).

33 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Has Purdy not done this with the 49ers offense?

6 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

It is unclear to me whether it is Purdy who is the agent of change, or a combination of CMC + healthy Deebo (established as elite in 2021 but injured for much of 2022) + healthy Kittle (had major foot injury in 2020, nagging lower body injuries in 2021-2).

6 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

OK, I suppose that makes sense, but I don't have time or patience to compare alex's Chiefs team to Jimmy G's 9ers team.  

Maybe I do have time........

Sorry for the typ]os my keyboard is broken in a coup]le of sp]ecific ways. 

Alex with KC was 50-26 W/L 65% completion 94.8 Rate 102/33 TD INT 7.2 Y/A 231 YPG

Jimmy G was 38-17 67% comp 99 rate 82/42 TD/INT 8.3 Y/A and 238 YPG

They were very similar to one another.  Patrick Mahomes got to 41 and 5K with volume.  He threw 648 passes that year.  Number of pass attempts is a stat that is relevant and intentionally excluded in all of the comparisons and arguments.

For P}urdy to match Mahomes;'s attemp]ts, he would need to average 88.6 pas attemp]ts p]er game over the last 3 games.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

Decided to look at the stats of previous RBs to win MVP to see how CMC stacks up:
2012 AP: 2314 yards from scrimmage/6.0 yards per touch/13 TD
2006 LT: 2323/5.8/31
2005 Alexander: 1958/5.1/28
2000 Faulk: 2189/6.6/26
1998 TD: 2225/5.3/23
1997 Sanders: 2358/6.4/14

In comparison, CMC is on pace for 2187/6.0/24, or 2058/6.0/23 when projected downwards for 16 games to more fairly compare to the others. A phenomenal season, no doubt, but arguably towards the lower end of MVP-winning RB seasons if he were to win MVP. Even with the extra game his total yards would be lower than everyone except Alexander, and his TDs would be right around TD for second lowest after Barry. In terms of Y/T, he's firmly in the middle of the pack. Not to say he wouldn't deserve it if he got it, but it seems like it usually takes a transcendent, record-breaking season for an RB to get the award and I'm not sure he's quite on that pace. Purdy's raw stats are also a bit below a traditional MVP-winning QB's, but his efficiency stats are on pace to be some of the greatest ever seen

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 2

I think it'll go to Purdy but I put $10 on Goff to win it just because it's +15000 and while it's unlikely it's not impossible... His numbers are right up there with everyone else and if Detroit wins out and he plays well he could get himself in the mix. Especially if shows up well in the Dallas game.

To be clear I do NOT think he's going to win it... But it's 10 bucks to potentially win 1,500 so why not 🤷

• Like 1

I think the obvious script here is that Purdy wins MVP, the 49ers get upset in the playoffs (maybe CMC goes down too) and Purdy plays alright but makes a mistake late or maybe even has a bad game. 

Then the media goes on a tirade all offseason about how he was never any good and not an upgrade from Jimmy G and everything was all fake blah blah. 

The thing about Purdy winning MVP is he's almost required to win a SB or it's gonna be all fugazi in a lot of people's minds, which is kinda bs imo lol.