The MVP race

Steelersfan43

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lamar never had the stats to win the award so he needed big games vs the Niners/Dolphins to have a chance and he more than did that. Big time stuff from #8. Congrats Ravens fans, that's MVP #2 for your guy! 

Maybe. The last game is against the Steelers and I’d be a little shocked if Harbaugh decides to rest all the starters in the game.

The Steelers have Lamar’s number from a production standpoint. While I’d imagine we’d only play him in the first half… if he has an average to bad 1st half and Josh Allen destroys Miami as well… then it brings the argument back to stats vs wins.

Lamar has hit all the needed statistical precedent numbers, but his stats still pales in comparison to Allen.

That said Tyreek is officially out of the conversation. So is Tua. I’ve made my feelings known regarding CMC and the RB precedents he would have to break in order to win.

Hurts is going to be in the wildcard spot outside of the (clearly) tanking Commanders pulling off the upset. So his case is basically done.

Dak’s case is over as well considering his team hasn’t beaten any good teams on the road.

I think that covers everyone in the conversation, so yeah I think Lamar has the strong hold on the MVP atm, but I still think it’s a 2 horse race between him and Allen.

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Maybe. The last game is against the Steelers and I’d be a little shocked if Harbaugh decides to rest all the starters in the game.

The Steelers have Lamar’s number from a production standpoint. While I’d imagine we’d only play him in the first half… if he has an average to bad 1st half and Josh Allen destroys Miami as well… then it brings the argument back to stats vs wins.

Lamar has hit all the needed statistical precedent numbers, but his stats still pales in comparison to Allen.

That said Tyreek is officially out of the conversation. So is Tua. I’ve made my feelings known regarding CMC and the RB precedents he would have to break in order to win.

Hurts is going to be in the wildcard spot outside of the (clearly) tanking Commanders pulling off the upset. So his case is basically done.

Dak’s case is over as well considering his team hasn’t beaten any good teams on the road.

I think that covers everyone in the conversation, so yeah I think Lamar has the strong hold on the MVP atm, but I still think it’s a 2 horse race between him and Allen.

Allen cannot win the MVP after his stinker today. There's just no way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonnguy2015 said:

So, who's getting Second Team All-Pro at QB?

There may not be one. If Lamar gets all the votes, which I think is possible, i don't think there would be one. Unless they've changed the voting process? I know a couple of years ago there was no second team RB because Taylor got all the votes 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

There may not be one. If Lamar gets all the votes, which I think is possible, i don't think there would be one. Unless they've changed the voting process? I know a couple of years ago there was no second team RB because Taylor got all the votes 

You're right, I think that also happened with Peyton in 2013. Though with the season awards getting changed to a rank vote I thought the same might have happened with the All-Pro team

Even if the Ravens falter in the playoffs, I would still say 2023 was a rousing success. 

Really 2023 was an experimental year - how would Lamar play in a balanced offense with modern passing concepts (in contrast to Greg Roman's medieval system)? Lamar passed with flying colors, which means it should be easier to recruit WRs in free agency and build the offense around him going forward.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nobellythrower said:

It's lamar if he gets playoff wins the goalpost will just be moved can he go to the superbowl, can he win it 

I don't think so. But he needs a deep playoff run. If he goes 1 and one again as MVP, it's a bad look if we're already clamoring HOF.

8 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I don't think so. But he needs a deep playoff run. If he goes 1 and one again as MVP, it's a bad look if we're already clamoring HOF.

He has a modern offensive coordinator now,  don't really care about his past playoffs, youngest to win 2 mvps,  and manning didn't get playoff win around this age so giving him time