The MVP race

Steelersfan43

On 12/31/2023 at 4:49 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Allen cannot win the MVP after his stinker today. There's just no way.

I’m not saying I think he can reasonably win it.

But let’s just say Allen puts up 450 total yards and 6 TDs, 0 turnovers against the Dolphins and lead the Bills to the 2nd seed in the playoffs…

Are we really going to act like he couldn’t win it over a Lamar who probably plays the 1st half against the Steelers and let’s hypothetically assume he has a typical Steelers type game with something like 8/14, 1 TD, 1 INT in the first half.

I think with the rank choice voting there’s no easy way to create a co-MVP, so it’s possible Lamar could get edged out.

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

I'm a Lamar voter at the moment, so bear with me, but I never liked this logic. 

Why is it okay to be bad against bad teams and not okay to do poorly vs good teams? Shouldn't it be the other way around? 

I'd rather be like "Well Baltimore has a really great defense so it makes sense our QB played bad" than "My QB isn't consistent and can lose to anyone".

I think it's kind of an unspoken thing at this point that we all pretty much know the way MVP is decided is kind of flawed, but it's pretty much always been this way, so it's kind of just accepted. There's always more weight put on games late in the season, prime time games, nationally televised games, etc. Because people are watching those with the MVP race in mind. No one was watching, say, Lamar struggle against Pittsburgh in week 5, thinking about the implications to his MVP odds. It isn't necessarily fair or logical, but it kind of...is what it is?

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I think it's kind of an unspoken thing at this point that we all pretty much know the way MVP is decided is kind of flawed, but it's pretty much always been this way, so it's kind of just accepted. There's always more weight put on games late in the season, prime time games, nationally televised games, etc. Because people are watching those with the MVP race in mind. No one was watching, say, Lamar struggle against Pittsburgh in week 5, thinking about the implications to his MVP odds. It isn't necessarily fair or logical, but it kind of...is what it is?

I take your point, but it’s funny that game Lamar was given a 90+ grade by PFF because he was balling that game outside of a turnover at the end.

The difference was that his receivers were dropping passes left and right in that game and let him (and the team) down. 

8 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

That’s just it, though.. Lamar wasn’t even really a consideration as a favorite to win it and then the narrative totally flipped over two games at the end of the season. This league is way too “what have you done for me lately”. Dak had one poor game against the Bills, Purdy had one poor game against the Ravens, and both have been largely dismissed ever since. It’s somewhat frustrating that all NFL fans care about is what just happened, and they become victims of the moment. Lamar is the run away favorite now after one game of stellar production when that production was far from his norm and other QBs have been just as strong in their own way. If Lamar doesn’t play next week, his performance to end the season will be the 5 TD destruction of Miami, and that game alone takes him from consideration to being the apparent clear cut favorite. Just think people are being victims of the moment to some extent with other candidates falling off the face of the Earth over Lamar having one particularly great game.

I’m curious. Someone else asked earlier, but what is your argument for having Dak above Purdy in the MVP discussion?

What’s more what would be the argument for Dak above Josh Allen if both finish #2 in their conference?

22 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m curious. Someone else asked earlier, but what is your argument for having Dak above Purdy in the MVP discussion?

What’s more what would be the argument for Dak above Josh Allen if both finish #2 in their conference?

Brock Purdy    12-4 w/l | 69.4 comp | 4,424 totYards | 9.6 ypa | 33 td : 13 to | 113.0 rtg
Dak Prescott   11-5 w/l | 68.4 comp | 4,479 totYards | 7.6 ypa | 34 td : 10 to | 104.2 rtg
Josh Allen     10-6 w/l | 65.6 comp | 4,404 totYards | 7.3 ypa | 42 td : 19 to |  91.5 rtg

idk, I can see an argument for Dak > Purdy if you value td:to the most and you assign a slight bias in favor of Dak for less support.

I like both over Allen.

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Brock Purdy    12-4 w/l | 69.4 comp | 4,424 totYards | 9.6 ypa | 33 td : 13 to | 113.0 rtg
Dak Prescott   11-5 w/l | 68.4 comp | 4,479 totYards | 7.6 ypa | 34 td : 10 to | 104.2 rtg
Josh Allen     10-6 w/l | 65.6 comp | 4,404 totYards | 7.3 ypa | 42 td : 19 to |  91.5 rtg

idk, I can see an argument for Dak > Purdy if you value td:to the most and you assign a slight bias in favor of Dak for less support.

I like both over Allen.

No offense (legitimately), but I wasn’t asking you. I was asking him specifically for a reason.

If he feels Dak should still be in the conversation cool, but he mentioned Lamar and Dak exclusively.

I would love to know why he didn’t include Purdy and Allen in the conversation. Whats more what his argument would be for Dak over both.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

No offense (legitimately), but I wasn’t asking you. I was asking him specifically for a reason.

If he feels Dak should still be in the conversation cool, but he mentioned Lamar and Dak exclusively.

I would love to know why he didn’t include Purdy and Allen in the conversation. Whats more what his argument would be for Dak over both.

Oh that makes sense sorry haha!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

He has no other argument other he is the biggest fan boy of Dak Prescott since Matts.  

I'm still convinced he is Matts Alt account since being banned but the Ultimate Fan Boy non the less. 

No other explanation needed. 

25 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

He has no other argument other he is the biggest fan boy of Dak Prescott since Matts.  

I'm still convinced he is Matts Alt account since being banned but the Ultimate Fan Boy non the less. 

No other explanation needed. 

Now now, let’s give him a chance to provide his argument. Let us not be accused of hating Cowboys nation and attacking him as a person.

I think it best we debate this with civility, but we have to first allow him the ability to provide an in depth argument as to the merits of Dak over some of the other candidates for MVP at the quarterback position.

I’m very much interested in hearing his in depth takes. @NoFlyZone again, I pose the question. You mentioned Dak should be in the conversation.

Where in the conversation currently would you have Dak? #1? #2? What’s your top 5 look like? And assuming you have Dak in the top 2, what is the argument for him being above Purdy in your estimation?

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I can revisit this a little later (just got back from work at this hour and will have to return soon), but Soggust did have the gist of why I’d ponder Dak over Purdy. That said, I think I could possibly be quoted in this thread as saying the award is Purdy’s to lose lol. People are acting like I’m cheerleading hard for Dak in this thread, but I haven’t been doing that. As far as Dak and Purdy go, I think it’s reasonably close. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

8 hours ago, Soko said:

Pats on back for me. 

You’re right, trying to talk to you and perhaps give you a different perspective on why you perceive yourself to be such a victim, has certainly been a waste of time. Keep the insecurity, no skin off my bones. I was just trying to help.

You can just say I was right.. it’s okay. Not that I particularly care either way. Regardless, I’m all for reasonable discussion.

"Whoever wins in the 49ers/ravens game is the mvp"

-lamar is the best player on the field against 2 other mvp candidates

"well you know, whoever wins in the ravens/dolphins game is the mvp"

lamar dominates and is the best player on the field against 2 other mvp candidates 

"well maybe dak or allen can win it"

goalpost moving 

23 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Where did he say he had Dak above Purdy? He literally mentioned both having one bad game and dropping from contenders to runner ups behind Lamar