2023 GDT Week #8 Steelers host the Jaguars

Steeler Hitman

2023 Week #8 Weekly Poll Question  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Steelers take advantage of two generous/lucky wins to build upon going forward?

• Yes. They have three winnable games at home to help build upon.
    • No. They have been more lucky than good and won't grow from this.
    • Have No Clue. The only thing consistent about the Steelers is their inconsistency.

16 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

I don’t follow college players until closer to the draft.  Outside of the few that everyone talks about. 

How good is this running back class coming up?  We can’t give Harris the 5th year option. 

Haven’t looked at RB but I’m not putting resources into it with Harris/Warren being cheap for 2024 and the OL/OC being the condition they’re in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squanchy said:

I don’t follow college players until closer to the draft.  Outside of the few that everyone talks about. 

How good is this running back class coming up?  We can’t give Harris the 5th year option. 

Before we drafted Najee, I insisted there was no point in drafting a RB high because MOST RBs are highly dependent on the OL and passing game doing its part for them to have success.        

Right now, I wouldnt waste anything more than a late rounder on a RB.    In this offense, not many RBs are going to come in and have success.       Najee is definitely a bust, and its not just because of the OLine....HOWEVER, I dont feel any RB we bring in is going to come in and have much more success.   Obviously we can upgrade, but if we were to dump Najee, Id be content with Warren, a free agent and a late round rookie until we get our Oline in order.      This feels like the early 2010s in the early Pouncey days but pre Munchack and DeCastro.        

The issues with our line must be addressed. and Im not sure if this current OLine coach is the one to fix it.     Im not going to bash him since I know he hasnt been given much to work with....but it has taken steps forward, and then steps back, and while talent is an issue, that makes me think coaching is a major issue as well.

The entire offense needs to be gutted and rebuilt under someone who knows what they are doing.    If Tomlin is to remain head coach, he shouldnt get any say in how we build the offense going forward.    He needs to check his oversized ego and admit that he doesnt know **** about running an NFL offense and let someone else do it.    That is assuming we bring in someone else, and they dont let Canada stick around another year.

Najee still has a year left on his contract. and even if we cut him next offseason, would be extremely easy to replace his production.     Just roll with what we have next year and then we will reexamine the situation in 2025....although regardless of the situation, I better not witness us ever drafting RB in the first round again unless its the next Adrian ******* Peterson.   

5 hours ago, Squanchy said:

My ask was how deep the class was in general.  I have no interest in wasting another premium pick on a rb.   It just feels like Najee aged so rapidly. 

He was a old back for a rookie. He'll already be 27 by the start of his 2nd contract. 

In case any body is interested :

Jags Steelers 1st half play by play review

1st Posession

Play 1 Johnson dropped lil high but shouldve been a 30 yd catch at least, ball would be at Jax 45

Play 2 Chuks slipped wasnt ready for Walker and the wet grass ..Sack

Play 3 DJ dropped another pass , Chuks called for a hold but shouldnt have been called. ? Call #1

Play 4 Harvin 35 yd punt OOB .. Ball at Jax 45

Def

JPJ good cover on 1st pass

Larry O good run def on play 2

3rd & 5

Mont Adams great press and Pierre good pass defense bat away slant comebk. Flag comes in 3.5 seconds after play is over. Ref 11. No replay. til later  just from behind. Call #2 ?

2nd &3 great play by Alex clog up & Monty TFL  +

3rd & 6 Great play by Pierre on crosser to tackle Engram short of line to gain ++ Flag thrown in at end for facemask on Engram girl called.

2nd PIT possession

Play 1  Pitch to Najee wide not a great toss or play making big guy run sideways in rain.

Play 2 delay run or Najee hesitated , seem like Naj hesitate no bueno at all.

Play 3 DJ slipped, I get timing but Kenny gotta hold up on throwin that. Almost picked 6. was dropped. Shouldve went to George or nobody throw just beyond DJ.

Play 4 52 yard punt, 12 yd return Boykin tckle #2

Def

1 Roberts pressure he and highsmith 1/2 sacks, very good cover by Holcomb on Engram caused this cover sack . Play Minkah went out with hamstring ughh. Not good, happen while running not on a slip perse.

2 A Watts just missed sack slipped off Lawrence run, surprised we didnt get late hit by Holcomb on qb

3 Ridley got by JPJ and Kazee over ran it . Is this a cover theory or is JPJ getting beat?

4 Very good by Holcomb on run come up no gain

5 OLBs great get off 90 $ 56 TJ batted pass back.

6 Neal good tackle on out pass by Engram short of line to gain +

3rd Pit Possession

Play 1 DJ slant 7yds and instead of turning up to get the extra 2-3 yds or close to 1st down he turned and ran slightly backward but across for 1 yd.

Play 2 Warren run for 1 yd

Play 3 long throw to George outside throw was a little short batted away, was there if he lead him. This was KPs first bad play all on his own where he couldve done better. Dont really get the call on 3rd & 2 get a first down damnit. 83 & 11 dbl covered on short turn routes that die. uggh. right next to each other

Punt 48-49 yds Boykin cover tackle. No return.

Def

1 Ettiene good run Holcomb tckl

2 Ettiene run, Roberts cause disruption team swarmed no gain 92 +

3 Neal hit Lawrence as he threw, pass caught, Killebrew beat by Kirk Horrible call #3 ? Roughing. 29 yds +15 Ball at PIT 30.

4 Ettiene decent run.

5 Ettiene run for 1st JPJ called for facemask,  Holding 77 offense and facemask jpj offset.

6 Ettiene draw, Golden tackle good play & 55. No gain +

7 Quick hit dbl clutch to Engram on 3rd & 3 , 1st down. Tckle Kazee & 55

8 Pitch to Engram, smacked by 54 ++ recovered by 55++

4th Pit Possession

Play 1 reverse to Austin did not turn up NO Gain —

End of 1st QTR

2nd QTR

4th  PIT Possession (continued)

Play 2 Kenny took hit as he threw quick out hot to Naj tackle as soon as he got ball. Walker unblocked, Kenny hit as clock ticked off 1 second. I timed it as 1.71 seconds. Naj struggled for an extra yard or two. Gain of 3. Took a decent shot.

Play 3 low snap to shotgun. Saumalo got beat badly . Kenny hit 2.20 seconds. Long toss out to Warren to get rid of, not sure where else anyone couldve gone with that pressure coming right at you.  Diontae just turned and was looking but highly doubtful Kenny or anybody couldve gotten that there with that pressure and two guys around DJ . Warren was the only option and Kenny got buried. 4 yard gain.  Was some follow thru on the hit but did not land on him. ?

Play Punt 45 yards 12 yd return

Defense

1 Lawrence roll right out. JPJ cover. Stop curl  to Ridley too much cushion but ok. Gain 8 or 9.

2 Ettiene good run up the middle. Quan run blitz but took him out of play 1 ran right up place he left. Kazee tckl

3 short run not much there

4 Sullivan beat by Ridley hard post to flag type route on Lawrence step up throw

5 Ettiene strong run. Watts got dbld and 55 got kicked out. It was a good play from a guy that knows how to follow his blocks and run off them.

6 Lawrence horrible decision to throw ball up in EZ picked off. Kazee int horrible decision to run out and step out at 2 ugghh. Got too anxious.

5th PIT Possession start @ PIT 2 yd line

1 Naj run up middle 1 yd gain.

2 Out to DJ good for 1st down + 12-13 yds

3 Shotgun deep throw overthrown to Austin everything else was fly/covered nothing open except Naj dump off and they wanted to go deep there to Austin obvious by the play call / design. All or nothing play. DPI this was play that I thought well maybe they even the calls out, legit call though.

4 1st down Warren run spin 3yd gain

5 2nd & 7  Austin jet sweep, tried to shake instead of run but good for 1st down.

6 KP step up and throw out to DJ for 1st

7  Warren run for 1 yd in middle. Isaac got off early but lost his block having his struggles.

8 KP bootleg left on 2nd 9 to DJ 6 yd gain. I think DJ needs to be more desperate about getting to the 1st down marker for a team that struggles to get firsts.

9 3rd & 3 from 17.5 out to DJ for 1st down

10 77 came in as eligible. Naj 5 yd gain . Decently effective could be better by 77.

11 2nd & Goal toss play to Connor , play blown up. No gain. Design-

12 3rd & Goal from 5yd line.  Johnson fell down in End Zone. Starting to think he had money on the game. Kenny had him he threw to outside should cause safety was coming . It was a TD Johnson fell. He was the 3rd read with a guy in KPs face. He saw him a little late but

13 Boz 22yd Field Goal.

Boz slipped on Kickoff again our guys struggling with field worse than visitors.

DEF

1 Out to Ridley cover by Pat P tckle by 55 . Gain of 6

2 Ettiene just a good runner 9 yds

3  Draw run ehh

4 Kirk dropped pass cover by Kazee.

5 Engram cross Kazee good come up tackle short of Line to gain. Pierre called for holding . 1st down (2 Minute Warning)

6 Screen , wide open but bobble at first. Golden good play to avoid get off blks. 1st down just 10yds. Couldve been ALOT more.

7 Draw to Ettiene

8 Out to Ridley tckl Neal (PIT timeout)

9 3rd & 2 Quick out to Engram no gain tckl by Holcomb.  Read great Went thru blk to blow up Engram outstanding play +++.

Eguibuake return for 32 yds.

6th Possession

1 Out to Connor turn in for 10 yds + They actually marked this 2nd and 1 , tv had it as 2nd and 10

2 Moore beat: Pressure KP roll away left out to sideline to 18 for 6yds. Catch at Jax 49. Holding def declined 34 seconds left

3 Kenny step up and run for 10 yds 1st down out of bounds. ++ 27 seconds left. They spotted it short of the first down but he clearly made it to the marker, not even close. They gave a bogus spot because of the dead ball replay they ran 10 seconds off the clock, Pit wouldve had to take timeout to avoid that . Thats bull****. That spot was horrible bogus.

Continuing the circumstances following the two-minute warning, a replay reversal can trigger a 10-second runoff. These will invariably be replays that are initiated by the replay official.

When there is a reversal, the clock is reset to the time the ball is declared dead under the reversed ruling, although, at minimum this will be no less time than is already on the clock. After that clock adjustment is made, if the reversed ruling has a running clock,  there is a 10-second runoff applied. Neither team can decline the runoff, but either team can use a timeout to prevent the runoff. (Previous to 2018, the runoff only applied if there was reversal that made a stopped clock a running clock.)

If there is no reversal, the game and play clock will continue from where they were at the point of interruption (but no less than 10 seconds on play clock) on the ready-for-play signal.

4 Cole with low snap. Moore got beat and his guy ran over Isaac there was nowhere for kenny to go safely. KP got rid of the ball then the JAG defender slammed him to the ground not set him down slammed him, the ball was gone as he made contact. BS.

Pittsburgh charged a timeout for the injury. Their last timeout.

5 Mitch come in rolls around throws deep into traffic ugg

6 3rd & 10, 6 seconds on clock 55yd attempt. Kick is good. Same Ref 11 making this call for neutral zone infraction.

7  61 yd attempt . No good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Squanchy said:

We can’t give Harris the 5th year option. 

but if tomlin is here, we will

7 hours ago, Squanchy said:

My ask was how deep the class was in general.  I have no interest in wasting another premium pick on a rb.   It just feels like Najee aged so rapidly. 

lots of RB's available in the draft and on practice squads. Get a top tier oL and all of them will have decent success. With this OC and OL, I doubt many would. Get the OL fixed first, then go from there.  Cole and chuks need to be replaced . The team can't keep playing a player )Moore) when they aren't healed from a knee sprain which will allow further damage. 

7 hours ago, 43M said:

The entire offense needs to be gutted and rebuilt under someone who knows what they are doing

same could be said for the defence. May as well start with a new HC

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Colbert and the FO fumbled this offensive rebuilt by doing some real amateur stuff in the draft. a lot this could've been avoided. 

agree, colbert really failed the last few years. He got a few decent picks, but really lacked activity for trades and UFA . If he was still here, we would still have bush, najee would be extended and edmunds too. 

while many here (myself included)  voice their disliking of the offence, we quietly haver one of the worst run defences. The ony other time we have had such was a few years ago.  Even in the mid 80's we were never that bad and teams ran a lot considering  the score in those year being a losing team. 

While I would prefer the OL to get much better, I think the run defence will be  more of a problem.  I would say if you can be around top 1/3 of the NFL in run defence, that should suffice. OL ofr course, you want top 10 or better. Tomlin though,  has a team that is near the bottom in both, or close to it.  The team is mostly healthy in these areas, no way Heyward makes that much of a difference for the defence AND yet we know our ILB's are much better as well. IOW, they don't have a good DL for run defence  or the scheme is THAT much of a misfit for the players they have (what I see) . 

Fire tomlin and all his staff

Munchak for OL coach and assistant HC

Ben Johnson for HC

If cards keep dobbs as QB2 with Murray at QB1, then trade for Tune and he can be QB2 here  possibly QB1 if KP can't play 4 quarters.  

najee, chuks, cole , Muth should all be replaced

3 hours ago, August4th said:

Colbert and the FO fumbled this offensive rebuilt by doing some real amateur stuff in the draft. a lot this could've been avoided. 

Not just the offense but big parts of the defense as well. And honestly it’s tiring to hear the “but Tomlin has input” here as a defense. It’s said almost like Colbert had no say in who got drafted. As much as people want to blame Tomlin, Colbert and the scouting staff still IDed Bush, Jarvis Jones, and Dupree as high 1st rounders. It IDed Burns, Edmunds, and others as 1st round talents. 

He spent the last 3 years of Bens career doing what Ben wanted in a team around Ben so we could, as some on here said “just make the playoffs because you never know what could happen.” It was so incredibly short sighted and some of us were calling that out that we didn’t know what we were talking about. 

And kinda as I predicted, people want Tomlin fired, we have a terrible offense, our depth can’t survive more than one injury to a position group, yet we are just well enough coached to not bottom out. 

• Like 1