The Michigan/Sign Stealing & COVID Punishment Thread

BobbyPhil1781

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not sure. In mine anything we said or evidence we brought would have been public record.

No offense to you but I'm sure your situation wasn't the same as an institution bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars so maybe your situations aren't the same...... unless you're doing big things up in there in the land of the frozen then it may be.

In all seriousness though, I would agree that it would be made public but I definitely don't know any better hence me starting this discussion.

• Like 1

Tin foil hat time.

This Salas guy (who has been 0-this ordeal thus far - keep that in mind) said there's rumors an assistant was involved but he cannot say who. I completely disregarded that as more "hey I'm important, look at me" type stuff but now Coach Clink deleted his Twitter account. The timing is very strange especially since we're a month away from early signing period and he is a big recruiter.

Could be nothing, could be something but wanted to throw that out there in case there was any more foil leftover from what's already transpired w/ this mess.

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

No offense to you but I'm sure your situation wasn't the same as an institution bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars so maybe your situations aren't the same...... unless you're doing big things up in there in the land of the frozen then it may be.

In all seriousness though, I would agree that it would be made public but I definitely don't know any better hence me starting this discussion.

Hahaha no offense taken, mine was 100% boring.

If anything, I'd assume there would be much less reason to make Harbaugh's private than mine. In general courts want to present everything they can to the public for general trust in authority kind of reasons. In Harbaugh's case, the TRO is about whether he can publicly coach on the sideline in a nationally televised game. So even if it was sealed, by Saturday, we'd know whether it was granted or not.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Good info. Thanks!

I'm assuming this can be made public as well or will the courts try to refrain from the information being available to the public?

Courts are supposed to err on the side of making records public. Unless there's some strong reason to make it confidential, it should be public record. And if there is a reason for confidentiality, the approach generally used is to only seal the part of the hearing and record that is strictly necessary for confidentiality purposes.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

“rumors an assistant may be involved” is about the tamest thing you can say about a rampant program wide scandal involving everyone on staff.

Non of the evidence you guys have predicted or expected has come true so “putting it lightly” is probably the best way to go 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

@Ragnarok is a lawyer as is I believe @jrry32. They probably have some unique expertise here.

Never done a TRO but I know plenty who have.

That said, what has been expressed here is correct afaik.  You go in, make your claims, and the judge decides if you meet the burden to warrant a TRO.  That burden is, i think, usually preponderance of the evidence.  Not the highest bar by any means.

The intent is to pause everything if the judge believes that continuing a course of action is more likely than not to potentially cause additional harm.  It is for a shortened period of time to allow the parties to make more comprehensive claims as to why an injunction or other course of action should or shouldn't take place.  

Usually, judges will err on granting a TRO if there is a reasonable claim and give the requesting party the benefit of the doubt.

@jrry32 anything I said you'd disagree on?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Never done a TRO but I know plenty who have.

That said, what has been expressed here is correct afaik.  You go in, make your claims, and the judge decides if you meet the burden to warrant a TRO.  That burden is, i think, usually preponderance of the evidence.  Not the highest bar by any means.

The intent is to pause everything if the judge believes that continuing a course of action is more likely than not to potentially cause additional harm.  It is for a shortened period of time to allow the parties to make more comprehensive claims as to why an injunction or other course of action should or shouldn't take place.  

Usually, judges will err on granting a TRO if there is a reasonable claim and give the requesting party the benefit of the doubt.

@jrry32 anything I said you'd disagree on?

That all sounds right to me. TROs are meant to preserve the status quo for a short period of time (generally, 14 days, but the time can differ depending on the jurisdiction) until the court can consider and rule on the full merits of the preliminary injunction (usually). I haven't had to do a TRO, but I have worked on quite a few PIs. They're quite similar, except PIs are longer lasting and require more time, evidence, and full briefing.

The factors you generally have to prove for both are likelihood of success on the merits (i.e., the law), irreparable injury, balance of the equities, and that the injunction/TRO is in the public interest. But again, those are general principles. I don't practice in Michigan, so I don't know how the substantive law differs there.

• Like 2

Just waiting to see where all the tough guys tweeting “Bet” about the suspension are? Interesting, the hearing is set to take place and Michigan rolled over. It’s almost like there was good information after all. I’m actually disappointed, I was hoping Harbaugh would be out there this one last time.

MGo loyalists must be super let down by their insiders who have been pumping sunshine.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Just waiting to see where all the tough guys tweeting “Bet” about the suspension are? Interesting, the hearing is set to take place and Michigan rolled over. It’s almost like there was good information after all. I’m actually disappointed, I was hoping Harbaugh would be out there this one last time.

MGo loyalists must be super let down by their insiders who have been pumping sunshine.

Yeah regardless of reason this isn’t a good look going all tough guy last week just to cave in.  Big10 likely found something damning on someone be it big or small and Harbaugh fell on the sword.  Still strange that big10 admits Harbaugh not involved yet he’s suspended. That HC all encompassing thing is not a big10 rule. 

I still think the rules broken are minor infractions and only warrant limited punishment at least as we know so far …. But yeah I’ll eat some crow for now

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Tin foil hat time.

This Salas guy (who has been 0-this ordeal thus far - keep that in mind) said there's rumors an assistant was involved but he cannot say who. I completely disregarded that as more "hey I'm important, look at me" type stuff but now Coach Clink deleted his Twitter account. The timing is very strange especially since we're a month away from early signing period and he is a big recruiter.

Could be nothing, could be something but wanted to throw that out there in case there was any more foil leftover from what's already transpired w/ this mess.

Speaking of tin foil.....

Wouldn't it be crazy if Weiss' computer crimes were linked to the recent sports gambling rumblings and he was betting on games using players NIL money similar to Stallions doing real estate for Corum.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1