2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

My current top ten situations:

1a. MHJ-WR   "Generational".  I consider moving up for him.

1b. Nabers-WR   I think he's up there with MHJ and wouldn't be at all shocked if he has a better career.... To me he's basically a younger, better DJ Moore (and for the record, I think DJ Moore is at worst, a top 10 receiver in the league). I again consider moving up for him.

3. Alt-LT   Top LT of the class. Positional value has this as an easy choice at 9 if Nabers and MHJ are gone.

4a. Turner-Edge    I'm not as high on this edge class overall, but he's passrush #1

4b. Trade down Newton-3T  I think people are undervaluing him. I still like him better than I did Carter, even discounting his off the field stuff.

6. Trade down JPJ-OC  He's one of 2 OC in this draft class I'd take as an immediate starter (the other is Zach Frazier), he's huge and he moves like someone 50 lbs lighter.

7. Trade down Bowers-TE  The ONLY reason bowers isn't higher on my board is because even a mid first rounder on a TE is still paying him as a top tier TE out of the gate.

8. Odonze-WR at 9       I just have questions about his game translating because I just don't trust receivers who rely on contested catches. He's got the physical tools, and by all accounts he's an A++ character guy. I feel like he's -=BY FAR=- the most likely pick for us. He'd be a HELL of an asset if he puts it together and his game ends up translating, and I do really like the room he'd have around him to help him learn the position better.

9. Trade down Amarius Mims-OT   This is a bit of projection, since he currently plays RT... and Wright is solid there... but Mims is a monster, and the kind of player where you take the player and find a way to make it work.

10a. Fashanu-LT  I'm lower on him than most, though I suppose I'm not listing this as a "trade down" so still not that low. He's a great pass blocker, but I'm a bit concerned about his physicality.

10b. Verse-Edge on a short trade down. I might have him above Fashanu, but I also am favoring offensive improvements to make the QB's life better

7 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I would be shocked if Poles considered anyone other than a OT at #9.

It wouldn’t be shocking to me.  He likes his current LT.  And RT is going nowhere.  OT is definitely on table though as an upgrade.  I wouldn’t hate it depending on who was there.  

I think he has his board and BPA is coming off in absence of a trade that looks better.  

My guess is there are factions in building making their case to GM.  D guys are pushing for edge.  O guys are pushing for WR or OT.  

Decision is probably made already.  They are just going through scenarios depending on how board falls and if a trade offer comes in. 

You always consider a trade offer, but I think trade ups in first for non-QBs are going to be increasingly more rare.  Unless it is short hops.

I think Flus signaled Bears were happy drafting at 9 when he said they could add two blues in draft.   

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It wouldn’t be shocking to me.  He likes his current LT.  And RT is going nowhere.  OT is definitely on table though as an upgrade.  I wouldn’t hate it depending on who was there.  

I think he has his board and BPA is coming off in absence of a trade that looks better.  

My guess is there are factions in building making their case to GM.  D guys are pushing for edge.  O guys are pushing for WR or OT.  

Decision is probably made already.  They are just going through scenarios depending on how board falls and if a trade offer comes in. 

I think we go WR if MHJ/Nabers/Odunze is there, but I’d feel a lot more comfortable not going DE in R1 had we done anything to bolster the position in FA, even if that anything was bringing in a rotational guy still out there like Ngakoue again, Carl Lawson or Ogbah. Verse is my guy but I can very much see Latu being Poles’ and Flus’ guy too if they’re good with the neck stuff. He’s the most refined pass rusher in the group and he has plenty of size (though average arm length). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think we go WR if MHJ/Nabers/Odunze is there, but I’d feel a lot more comfortable not going DE in R1 had we done anything to bolster the position in FA, even if that anything was bringing in a rotational guy still out there like Ngakoue again, Carl Lawson or Ogbah. Verse is my guy but I can very much see Latu being Poles’ and Flus’ guy too if they’re good with the neck stuff. He’s the most refined pass rusher in the group and he has plenty of size (though average arm length). 

Medicals are obviously the biggest thing for Latu. that being said, he has played two years of high level ball since he came back, which helps alleviate some of the concern. Jaelen Phillips has the same neck issue and he's had no problems with in in Miami - not saying Latu wouldn't because of phillips, but it's a data point 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I would be shocked if Poles considered anyone other than a OT at #9.

To me it is OT, WR, or EDGE. 

OT could potentially improve two spots, as Alt/Fashanu have higher ceilings than Jones but Jones is not a bad LT by any means. Part of the bonus with him is that I think he could play RG better than Nate Davis and if there is an injury he is able to kick back out to tackle. So you could improve LT, RT, and have a top swing tackle all by getting Alt/Fashanu. 

WR seems like a luxury pick at first but Allen is getting older and is on a one year deal right now. He could be extended (I expect it tbh) and Poles may already know he would use the franchise, but I have no real expectations from Scott or Velus Jones atm. Pole could prefer to really load up to give the best possible 11 personnel possible. Bowers could be looked at as a big WR but I'm skeptical that is a plan.  

EDGE seems like a significant need, and if Poles is letting Flubby have input as I would expect him to, EDGE will be a big need opposite of Sweat. 

Outside of those I'd be damn surprised to see any other positions picked, even in a trade down in the 1st. 

26 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

To me it is OT, WR, or EDGE. 

OT could potentially improve two spots, as Alt/Fashanu have higher ceilings than Jones but Jones is not a bad LT by any means. Part of the bonus with him is that I think he could play RG better than Nate Davis and if there is an injury he is able to kick back out to tackle. So you could improve LT, RT, and have a top swing tackle all by getting Alt/Fashanu. 

WR seems like a luxury pick at first but Allen is getting older and is on a one year deal right now. He could be extended (I expect it tbh) and Poles may already know he would use the franchise, but I have no real expectations from Scott or Velus Jones atm. Pole could prefer to really load up to give the best possible 11 personnel possible. Bowers could be looked at as a big WR but I'm skeptical that is a plan.  

EDGE seems like a significant need, and if Poles is letting Flubby have input as I would expect him to, EDGE will be a big need opposite of Sweat. 

Outside of those I'd be damn surprised to see any other positions picked, even in a trade down in the 1st. 

I agree, but I don't know that if they drafted an OT that they would then kick B. Jones to Guard.  That is an assumption based on what you would do.

I would have moved Borom to G before I moved Jenkins to G.  I may have ended up moving them both to G if neither worked out at T.   I would have given Jenkins more time at OT though.

Just now, dll2000 said:

I agree, but I don't know that if they drafted an OT that they would then kick B. Jones to Guard.  That is an assumption based on what you would do.

I would have moved Borom to G before I moved Jenkins to G.  I may have ended up moving them both to G if neither worked out at T.   I would have given Jenkins more time at OT though.

It seems more likely that if they draft a LT that Jones simply becomes swing tackle.   If a Jenkins or Davis goes down they may feel differently.

Just now, dll2000 said:

It seems more likely that if they draft a LT that Jones simply becomes swing tackle.   If a Jenkins or Davis goes down they may feel differently.

They may also draft a LT and leave Jones as starting LT while draft pick learns. Maybe they rotate them for a time like they did with Jenkins and Patrick (which I hated).

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Definitely. I rarely bother to try and put much thought into their thought processes. They have way more time invested into plans and contingencies, see these guys' efforts during practices/film review, etc. I'm just saying what I think would make the most sense logically. 

I wanted Borom to move inside just like you, he anchored just fine but he doesn't have the speed feet to stay up outside. When his hands were locked onto you though he seemed to really clamp them down. Jenkins was always able to be a stud OG in my mind, but with the OT not being set it seemed a weird move. Best players should usually go in the most important spots to me. Just like Kyle Long and Mills, I think they would have been better swapped and Mills would have been . I also wouldn't have swapped Long to RT with only a week to practice the spot before lining up against a HOF in Peppers, but Fox did it anyway. lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I don't think Everett is someone worth missing on an elite prospect, but IDK what Poles and Co found with the medicals either.

If all 3 WRs are gone as well, you're looking at 3 WRs, 4 QBs, and then you only have 1 EDGE or OT off the board. It would likely end up with someone like Fashanu or Alt being available, which helps the offense regardless of the personnel. IF Poles lets Flus make a request then we likely will see an EDGE alongside Williams.

As long as it isn't a headscratcher then I'm content enough. Poles has done enough I have quite a bit of trust in him.

Ya, I trust RPs Draft capabilities too. If medicals are clean and Alt and Rome/Malik are off the board, the pick has to be Bowers or OL imho

The 2nd OLineman would be ok bc OL is Poles's wheelhouse and is the only position group that has talent level anywhere near Bowers  ...and paying top ten money to a TE for their rookie contract is not the same value as paying a top 10 T

but that shouldn't be a deciding factor either, should be BPA 

this OLine Class is INCREDIBLE ! will be VeRY interesting to see what Poles does. The other Option I am in favor of is moving all way down to 20s for Jackson Powers ...a pivot of his caliber ANd another premium pick in this Draft is fairly equal to Alt or Brock 

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If teams actually think he’s the best TE prospect ever then he almost surely won’t make it to 9 anyway. I don’t personally see him as any better of a prospect than Pitts or Hockenson or Vernon Davis. That’s not a slight to Bowers either - all those guys were elite prospects - but they all went top 8 too. 

Brock had (882) receiving yds as a true Freshman, (942) sophmore season, and (714) last season in only 10 games, and would have easily gone over 1000 in a full season. 

Pitts BeST season was (770), Davis (871), and Hockenson (760) 

at age 18  BB outerformed all 3 of these guys' BEST season. And in their Freshman seasons,  these 3 were (73), (59) & (24) respectively...

Brock is DiFFERENT️ and he just turned 21 in December

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

DL prospects <<<< OL prospects 

Also there will be the wave of cuts coming up after Draft and leading up to preseason ....we added yannick bery late last season, a couple guys should shaKe loose and we are a very VERY desirable destination for any DE...

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Medicals are obviously the biggest thing for Latu. that being said, he has played two years of high level ball since he came back, which helps alleviate some of the concern. Jaelen Phillips has the same neck issue and he's had no problems with in in Miami - not saying Latu wouldn't because of phillips, but it's a data point 

will be VERY interesting to see where Latu is taken

I am rooting for him !

Edited by SLCbear

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Jenkins is All-pro ish inside and if he stays healthy will get PAID 

Braxton is not a Guard, I think that he would struggle bigtime inside, but he would be the best swing T in the league and still very cheap...

Davis had some personal stuff and wonky start to 🐻career, I expect WAY more from him this season

Getting a premier T on a rookie deal, w Brax at swing massively upgrades 2 positions and Poles's scouting of OL talent is about as good as it gets