2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Been weird for anyone else to not get as much enjoyment out of running draft sims this year? With only 3 picks after the presumed Caleb pick there’s only so much you can do, and my desire to look for late round gems when we have no selections in the final 135 picks of the draft is minimal.

Champagne problems I suppose.

YES champagne problems 😎  

all the late round picks this year are normally UDFAs in other Drafts anyways  

Caleb, support for Caleb at 9 (Rome, Brock, Poles OT#2), a promising IOL (whether Poles uses big OL🧠 to get one at 75, or uses CAR 2RP+ in order to snag one earlier if the run on Cs happens LaTE), and Tory Taylor at 122  ....GREAT DRAFT right there !! Next year's Draft class heavy with DLine

And there will be another wave of cuts before TC, we can get some DL help  there, we have plenty of money... 

or we can make another trade for a vet, Reddick went for a cond. 3...

Looking like around 100mil in cap next  year also...

Edited by SLCbear

10 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

I am 100% sure that we will NOT draft both Williams and Odunze. Why, you ask? Because we all here feel like that is what we would do (well most of us). One of those picks will be someone that we did not expect. 

bb

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Poles said last week (don’t remember who the interview was with) that they were gonna break into groups to debate WR/DL/OT at (or around) 9 leading up to the draft. Meeting with Odunze would seem to be a big part of that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Poles said last week (don’t remember who the interview was with) that they were gonna break into groups to debate WR/DL/OT at (or around) 9 leading up to the draft. Meeting with Odunze would seem to be a big part of that. 

Hah!   I theorized about Poles using that process somewhere on here awhile back.  

• Like 1

My pick for #9 is TE Brock Bowers because he can line up as the 3rd WR, the 2nd or 3rd TE, or even at FB.  He will play a lot in his rookie year assuming he doesn't get hurt.  This will give flexibility to the offense and make it more powerful, it's better than drafting a WR at #9.

Poles has said he is comfortable going into the draft with just 4 picks but I struggle to see him not adding more picks somewhere in this draft even if it is later round guys...this is the 30 guys who don't have 1st round/top 50 pick grades on them that I would like to see a few of them end up on the team one way or another...

Keon Coleman   WR   Florida State
Javon Baker   WR   UCF
Malik Washington   WR   Virginia
Cornelius Johnson   WR   Michigan
Ben Sinnott   TE   Kansas State
Theo Johnson   TE   Penn State
Jared Wiley   TE   TCU
Kiran Amegadjie   OT   Yale
Blake Fisher   OT   Notre Dame
Javon Foster   OT   Missouri
Brandon Coleman   OG   TCU
Mason McCormick   OG   South Dakota State
Zach Fraizer   C   West Virginia
Sedrick Van Pran   C   Georgia
Hunter Nourzad   C   Penn State
Marshawn Kneeland   DE   Western Michigan
Austin Booker   DE   Kansas
Eric Watts   DE   Uconn
Myles Cole   DE   Texas Tech
Ruke Orhorhoro   UT   Clemson
Leonard Taylor III   UT   Miami
Edgerrin Cooper   OLB   Texas A&M
Cedric Gray   OLB   North Carolina
Jarrian Jones   NB   Florida State
Caelen Carson   CB   Wake Forrest
Willie Drew   CB   Virginia State
Jaden Hicks   S   Washington State
Dominique Hampton   S   Washington
Kitan Oladapo   S   Oregon State
Tory Taylor

P   Iowa

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

Prediction: Caleb Williams will connect with Velus Jones and make him a good receiver because they are from USC.

Unless Caleb has the same black magic Tom Cruise has I can't see that happening. Lol

The more I look at this draft and at overall sims the more two things become clear to me...

1. I don't really mind not having more picks outside of the top 180 because everything after that is very close and a guy drafted in the 6th will be very similar to an UDFA in terms of talent and with less picks UDFAs will want to come here more than other opportunities.

2. I really have came round to the idea of trading up from #9 to get one of these top receivers...we need some stars around Caleb and you add one of these three kids to DJ & Allen and you have a proper infrastructure for success right now...

A team like the Chargers won't truly believe they can compete this year given the cap issues and holes on their roster...say #5 & out own pick at #110 for #9 and our 2025 2nd round pick? If we could get a deal like that over the line and move up for Nabers or MHJ then I think it's worth it.

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

A team like the Chargers won't truly believe they can compete this year given the cap issues and holes on their roster...say #5 & out own pick at #110 for #9 and our 2025 2nd round pick? If we could get a deal like that over the line and move up for Nabers or MHJ then I think it's worth it.

Put yourself in Los Angeles' shoes for a minute.  Are you going to bypass arguably your highest rated player by far for a '25 SRP?  Of course it makes sense for Chicago, but if you're LA you go from getting your choice of any non-QB outside of maybe Marvin Harrison Jr. IF Arizona doesn't trade away its pick.  And if it does trade its pick to a QB-needy team, you have your choice of any non-QB prospect in the draft.  All for an early 4th round pick this year and a SRP next year for a team that believes it's going to be at the very least a team that pushes for the playoffs.  You want up to #5?  You're going to have to be willing to kick in that '25 FRP to move up IMO.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Put yourself in Los Angeles' shoes for a minute.  Are you going to bypass arguably your highest rated player by far for a '25 SRP?  Of course it makes sense for Chicago, but if you're LA you go from getting your choice of any non-QB outside of maybe Marvin Harrison Jr. IF Arizona doesn't trade away its pick.  And if it does trade its pick to a QB-needy team, you have your choice of any non-QB prospect in the draft.  All for an early 4th round pick this year and a SRP next year for a team that believes it's going to be at the very least a team that pushes for the playoffs.  You want up to #5?  You're going to have to be willing to kick in that '25 FRP to move up IMO.

I don't believe they truly think they can reach the playoffs next year...hence why a lot of draft expects see them as a potential trade down candidate...I think if they can get a second next year to move back 4 spots and still be able to target an OT just Olu or Latham...maybe even Bowers then it makes sense for them...they are way more than a top 5 pick away from having success even with Harbaugh.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I don't believe they truly think they can reach the playoffs next year...hence why a lot of draft expects see them as a potential trade down candidate...I think if they can get a second next year to move back 4 spots and still be able to target an OT just Olu or Latham...maybe even Bowers then it makes sense for them...they are way more than a top 5 pick away from having success even with Harbaugh.

I was talking about Chicago.  If Chicago believes they're a playoff contender, that SRP is coming in that 48-54.  Not a top 40 pick.  A SRP next year just doesn't have that same weight that a '24 SRP does.  Using the JJ TVC, the difference between the 5th and 9th pick is worth the 55th pick.  And even if you include the 110th pick that the Chargers own, that's still roughly worth the 47th overall pick.  I'm not sure why the Chargers would include an additional pick just to get a '25 pick.  If I'm the Chargers, you're either coughing up a '25 FRP or you need more present day value.

Bears Get:

Chargers Get:
'25 SRP

And if I'm the Chargers and any team in that 6-12 range is willing to give me a SRP on top of their FRP this year, I'd take that in a heartbeat over that Bears' package.