2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

For me it all depends on how many teams you can get competing for that pick...if you have just Washington then no we aren't getting that much...but if you have WAS, NE, NYG, ATL, LV & even DEN trying to work something out then the bidding just goes up and up...some of those GM/coaching staff will be scrapping to hold on to their jobs next year and might just throw everything at it.

Washington would offer the least in a bidder war... we have the shortest distance to get there. It's just not going to happen. Absolutely could see someone else giving yall a Kings Ransom, but Washington has as much chance at being sellers as you guys do. We arguably have more turnover to replace than anyone in the NFL. Our roster is not a good one. Ron Rivera did us no favors. 

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Carolina also gave up more...I guess we will see in a few month time man.

Carolina got #1. Chicago got #9, DJ Moore, #61 and a 2024 1st and 2nd. 

You are expecting Washington to offer #2, #46, #66 and a 2025 1st for #1. 

Never stop dreaming my friend. 

37 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Carolina got #1. Chicago got #9, DJ Moore, #61 and a 2024 1st and 2nd. 

You are expecting Washington to offer #2, #46, #66 and a 2025 1st for #1. 

Never stop dreaming my friend. 

Fine. You can have a 5th rounder in 2025 alomg with 1.1.  We'll throw in Whitehair and EJax too. 😁

• Like 1

Really like Roman Wilson out of Michigan...if we double dip at WR this year he would be an excellent mid-round pick...little bit of Amon-Ra St Brown to him IMO with his ability to get open especially working out of the slot.

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I remember people saying that about what we got from Carolina last year hahaha...you never know in this sport man.

A crazy owner, especially a brand new one can change absolutely everything. That’s what we got lucky with in the CAR deal. But that’s not something we can count on, not every new owner does it or least not immediately. 

I think we definitely trade it away, but we also don’t know we’re Poles will see the talent cliff that he won’t trade past either, and that could really change the value of whatever deal we make

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Really like Roman Wilson out of Michigan...if we double dip at WR this year he would be an excellent mid-round pick...little bit of Amon-Ra St Brown to him IMO with his ability to get open especially working out of the slot.

There are a ton of WRs in this draft that look like day 1 contributors. I have my favorites but if we come out of this draft with any of the following guys I am very comfortable with them having WR2 or WR3 reps week 1:

MHJ

Malik Nabers

Rome Odunze 

Keon Coleman

Emeka Egbuka 

Brian Thomas Jr. 

Adonai Mitchell

And those are just guys I see going in the top 45-50 picks. There are several others I think could be in rotation right away in some role. This would be an ideal draft class for us to double dip and get a WR in R1-2 and another at some point later on. 

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

A crazy owner, especially a brand new one can change absolutely everything. That’s what we got lucky with in the CAR deal. But that’s not something we can count on, not every new owner does it or least not immediately. 

I think we definitely trade it away, but we also don’t know we’re Poles will see the talent cliff that he won’t trade past either, and that could really change the value of whatever deal we make

Take it for whatever you’d like but Greg Gabriel is still connected within the league’s scouting community and he’s been saying for a while now that the guys everyone on the internet thinks are the far and away clear cut top guys aren’t seen that far ahead of the next guys (specifically mentions CW having been consensus QB1 before the year but not now, and that there are some who have Nabers ahead of MHJ).

Specifically with regard to the latter, if Poles is looking WR and sees Nabers (or even Odunze) closely ranked to MHJ and then that could push that talent cliff drop off down the board a bit for him. Also a factor that we don’t regularly discuss in here (because everyone loves skill positions) is the fact that there are 2 OTs seen as franchise guys in Fashanu and Alt and, while Poles seems to love Braxton Jones and he’s done quite well, he’s also an admitted build through the trenches guy who might prioritize one of those guys over a skill position guy with our higher 1st rounder (assuming a trade out of 1).

Also, are we getting a player back in a trade down like we did last year from CAR? If I’m trading 1 to ATL for example I’m asking for Bijan or London in the deal. If I’m trading with the Giants I’m asking for Thibodeaux. Not sure what I’d want from NE - their roster is trash. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m asking for Bijan

Bijan, their center, their pro bowl guard, Pitts, London are all interesting. 

Doubt they'd let us pillage their offense completely then bring a QB to sit on the smoldering wreckage though. 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Also, are we getting a player back in a trade down like we did last year from CAR? If I’m trading 1 to ATL for example I’m asking for Bijan or London in the deal. If I’m trading with the Giants I’m asking for Thibodeaux. Not sure what I’d want from NE - their roster is trash. 

I'll say it again, we got lucky that we were able to take advantage of a crazy/desperate Owner (this year has proved that out) Most teams arent going to do that. Your options for that at this point is hoping Josh Harris has that bug this year, or somehow Mark Davis finally channels his father. 

If we were to make a deal with Atlanta, It seems impossible that they are giving up Bijan, and I doubt any team will do what Carolina did last year giving up the #1 Weapon for the QB they just traded up for. Would they send Pitts out? That is probably more likely as he has just never fit, and is headed to his final 2 years of his rookie contract (if you pick up that 5YO)

I said this a bunch last year, and I was wrong admittedly, but the Player portion of the deal for #1 overall (or moving up for a QB in the draft in general) is rarely included, much less someone as good as DJ Moore.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I'll say it again, we got lucky that we were able to take advantage of a crazy/desperate Owner (this year has proved that out) Most teams arent going to do that. Your options for that at this point is hoping Josh Harris has that bug this year, or somehow Mark Davis finally channels his father. 

If we were to make a deal with Atlanta, It seems impossible that they are giving up Bijan, and I doubt any team will do what Carolina did last year giving up the #1 Weapon for the QB they just traded up for. Would they send Pitts out? That is probably more likely as he has just never fit, and is headed to his final 2 years of his rookie contract (if you pick up that 5YO)

I said this a bunch last year, and I was wrong admittedly, but the Player portion of the deal for #1 overall (or moving up for a QB in the draft in general) is rarely included, much less someone as good as DJ Moore.

Oh I don’t think it’s a given by any means, but I’m asking anyway. Specifically with regard to Bijan, ATL clearly really likes Allgeier given the share of carries he still gets. He’s basically splitting 50/50 with Bijan. My thought was that might make them more willing to part with Bijan to facilitate a trade to get the QB they could still plug in next to their 2 stud receiving options and a RB they really like, and if we’re sticking with Fields in that scenario I think the idea of putting him next to Fields for the next several years on a rookie deal without us actually having had to draft a RB in the top 10 to get him is a home run add (especially on top of what would be presumed to be huge draft capital to go from 1 to 9 again). 

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

ATL clearly really likes Allgeier given the share of carries he still gets

They have said from day one, they see Bijan as a Weapon, not just a RB. So they use both of them. You take a guy like Bijan in the Top 10, you just aren’t trading him away a year later, especially when you’re going to need him with that young QB you’re adding.

Which is why I think Pitts would be more likely. He’s already further into his Contract, and has been disappointing at this point, but clearly still has the talent.

If we are sticking with Fields, I still don’t think we need some Stud RB, we need reliable ones. It’s why I’ve always seen any fan interest in Bijan/Saquon as pie in the sky.

Now if we somehow collect another 1st rounder in ‘25 and Fields we’re to prove he is good enough for us to stick with in ‘25 and beyond, then adding the cherry on top of a dynamic RB makes sense. But not until you have everything else in place.

It’s a luxury pick/signing, and we just aren’t in position to do that yet

15 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I'm still not so sure man...

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-could-trade-no-1-173857641.html

If the Bears traded the first pick, the return could be immense. Several executives agree Chicago could net more than it did in the Panthers trade, and from a prospective trade partner already picking in the top five. Those execs believe the price to get to No. 1 could be two future first-rounders on top of this year’s pick, along with a variation of a Day 2 pick and/or a premium veteran player on a manageable contract.

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Oh I don’t think it’s a given by any means, but I’m asking anyway. Specifically with regard to Bijan, ATL clearly really likes Allgeier given the share of carries he still gets. He’s basically splitting 50/50 with Bijan. My thought was that might make them more willing to part with Bijan to facilitate a trade to get the QB they could still plug in next to their 2 stud receiving options and a RB they really like, and if we’re sticking with Fields in that scenario I think the idea of putting him next to Fields for the next several years on a rookie deal without us actually having had to draft a RB in the top 10 to get him is a home run add (especially on top of what would be presumed to be huge draft capital to go from 1 to 9 again). 

Off the cuff:

We trade 1-1 to ATL for 1-9, 2-44, 2025 1st and Bijan Robinson

FA starting center, non-top of market veteran WR solidly WR2/3 (Tyler Boyd?)

1-9 TE Brock Bowers

1-10 DT Jer’Zhan Newton

2-44 WR Emeka Egbuka

Fields starts 2024 with Bijan, Herbert and Johnson at RB, Moore, Boyd and Egbuka at WR and Kmet and Bowers at TE. That’s a lot to give him, but by the time Fields is pricey Boyd is likely replaced by a rookie, and Bijan, Egbuka and Bowers are all inexpensive until 2028.

Even without Bijan in the equation that’s a pretty damn strong situation to be in for the next few years. 

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm still not so sure man...

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-could-trade-no-1-173857641.html

If the Bears traded the first pick, the return could be immense. Several executives agree Chicago could net more than it did in the Panthers trade, and from a prospective trade partner already picking in the top five. Those execs believe the price to get to No. 1 could be two future first-rounders on top of this year’s pick, along with a variation of a Day 2 pick and/or a premium veteran player on a manageable contract.

I’m sure that’s what we’re asking for right now. Why wouldn’t we? It’s what we got last year. But to do that, you have to have another Franchise willing to. And I say Franchise, because that kind of deal comes from the direction of the Owner, not the GM (see the Tepper situation).

Its just like the Lamar contract, yea one dumb team guaranteed everything to Watson, but that doesn’t mean everyone (or anyone) else is going to follow suit.

If you are going to dig in on that type of return, you have to believe staying there and picking MHJ (?) is worth it, AND be willing to do that.

The thing we had last year was not only Tepper’s crazy ***, but also Irsay’s. And we had them pitted against each other. They kept one upping until Carolina threw in Moore while Indy wouldn’t do the same with Pittman.

Id be happy to be wrong again, like last year. I’m just going by what history tells us, which is usually correct way more often than not. And especially how bad the Panthers deal looks now, teams will be cautious. Because the one thing these guys hate more than losing, is looking foolish.