2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

He's less likely now, but something I heard about Nabers is a big turn off from him....

He played in his bowl game, just long enough to set the LSU receiving record, then quit MID GAME.

My understanding is that the team knew of his plan ahead of the game (which was a meaningless exhibition anyway) and was ok with it. He had nothing to play for other than the record and millions to lose if he got hurt. He told the team upfront the extent to which he was willing to take on risk because the record was important to him and the team accommodated for a star player on his way out the door in a way that will probably help them in recruiting. I don’t have a problem with that at all. Thats not quitting on the team IMO.

• Like 2

If the #1 pick is indeed traded, what we really should be rooting for besides moving down to a certain point or for a certain player is to move it to a place that is unlikely to have immediate success with Caleb Williams. Replicate the Carolina trade and end up with next year's very high first rounder. That alone gives you insurance on Fields not continuing to improve. Chargers could be that team.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

If the #1 pick is indeed traded, what we really should be rooting for besides moving down to a certain point or for a certain player is to move it to a place that is unlikely to have immediate success with Caleb Williams. Replicate the Carolina trade and end up with next year's very high first rounder. That alone gives you insurance on Fields not continuing to improve. Chargers could be that team.

Agreed. Thats why I said future capital needs to be more of a premium for the Bears rather than trying to get a big name. If Fields shows he is the guy then great, you have the ability to keep adding talents around him and hope they turn into a few high end prospects. If they want to move on from Fields then you have capital to make a move. As of right now the Bears have their first in 2025 but have their own and CAR's 2nd rounders. That is a good start, but any move I make to move down needs to involve a first this year and next. Even if I need to send back a later pick to achieve it. 

Thoughts on drafting Caleb Williams and trading up for Marvin Harrison?

Not sure what the package would be to move from 10 to 2-5.

* 2024 1st (10th) 

* 2025 1st

* 2025 2nd (Car)

* 2025 2nd (Chi)

* Justin Fields.

This scenario sets Caleb up with a Joe Burrow two #1 WRs situation.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, USADave said:

Thoughts on drafting Caleb Williams and trading up for Marvin Harrison?

Not sure what the package would be to move from 10 to 2-5.

* 2024 1st (10th) 

* 2025 1st

* 2025 2nd (Car)

* 2025 2nd (Chi)

* Justin Fields.

This scenario sets Caleb up with a Joe Burrow two #1 WRs situation.

Too expensive, imo. 

Also giveth the depth of this wr class I think you could make a good case to get like odunze or Nabers or Bowers. One of them should still be there. 

But much depends on what we can snag for Fields as well. 

12 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Too expensive, imo. 

Also giveth the depth of this wr class I think you could make a good case to get like odunze or Nabers or Bowers. One of them should still be there. 

But much depends on what we can snag for Fields as well. 

I think it's too expensive, but going from 8-10 to 3 wouldn't cost that much especially if Maye and Williams are gone

Last draft HOU went from 12 to 3 for Anderson and iirc they trade two 1's, a 2 and a 3

I'd do something like:

1.10, a 3rd, next year's 1, and next year's 3 for 1.3

5 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

The Chargers?

1) why would they want him?

2) even if they did, say they hire Dan Quinn & draft Williams. Say they keep Williams and Allen + bring back most of their D. They always underachieve but I don't think that's a 2-3 win team next year

3) for me that team you're describing is the Titans

Edited by beardown3231

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

The Chargers?

1) why would they want him?

2) even if they did, say they hire Dan Quinn & draft Williams. Say they keep Williams and Allen + bring back most of their D. They always underachieve but I don't think that's a 2-3 win team next year

3) for me that team you're describing is the Titans

For me it’s New England, and it’s not close. I think they have the worst roster in the league, will likely have a new HC and staff, plus they’re in a division with 3 playoff contenders (assuming Rodgers is healthy for the Jets). Their division plays the NFC West (at least 3 of 4 teams will be better than them) and AFC South (at least 3 of 4 teams will be better than them). I think NE is primed to win 3-4 games next year too. 

• Like 4

What are your guys' thoughts on Xavier Legette-WR?   I'm assuming we end up eventually with a 2nd rounder regardless of who is QB, and he's one of the guys in that range I can't quite make up my mind on.

12 hours ago, Epyon said:

What are your guys' thoughts on Xavier Legette-WR?   I'm assuming we end up eventually with a 2nd rounder regardless of who is QB, and he's one of the guys in that range I can't quite make up my mind on.

I think he is DJ Metcalf.

However, I think the Bears should go after these guys which I think they are in this draft class: Randy Moss (Thomas Jr), Jerry Rice (Franklin) , Marvin Harrison (MHJ), Brandon Marshall (Coleman), Michael Irvin (Odunze), and DJ Moore/Ja'Marr Chase (Nabers).. IMO 😁

We will see how Fields plays on Sunday before I'm willing to say this concretely, but I think I've come around to and prefer the idea of keeping him and trading down.  I watched a number of USC games this year and while Caleb Williams was impressive, I don't find him to be the unflappable generational talent he was previously billed.  He had enough games with struggles against higher level teams that make me wonder about him against NFL level talent.  I really question his ability to handle a very hostile media and fanbase and I don't think that there has ever been a question on whether or not Justin has the mental fortitude to handle it. 

This is not to say Caleb is a bad prospect, or isn't worth #1 overall.  I'm just starting to lean towards Fields + extra picks from a trade down again instead of Caleb + a second rounder or whatever Fields would get.  I really think that bringing in MHJ would be a huge help, and I could see them also snagging Brock Bowers with their second pick if he's available.  That would be an insane upgrade in offensive weapons for fields such that he can look elsewhere besides DJ Moore and then checking down or running.  

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

For me it’s New England, and it’s not close. I think they have the worst roster in the league, will likely have a new HC and staff, plus they’re in a division with 3 playoff contenders (assuming Rodgers is healthy for the Jets). Their division plays the NFC West (at least 3 of 4 teams will be better than them) and AFC South (at least 3 of 4 teams will be better than them). I think NE is primed to win 3-4 games next year too. 

That would definitely be ideal.