2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

This is a surprise...Ryan Day has done a great job of getting their juniors to go back this offseason

Looking at the WR landscape next year, ALL the other top guys appear to be coming out. He’s going to start out 2024 if not WR1 then really close to it. 

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Looking at the WR landscape next year, ALL the other top guys appear to be coming out. He’s going to start out 2024 if not WR1 then really close to it. 

Also true...I would have him at #2/#3...he is way behind Luther Burden for me but could be right there with Evan Stewart depending on where he ends up.

Just watched Caleb Williams tape vs Washington (2023) and TCU (2021)

- Love his ball placement and different types of throws

- High arching deep-ball with good velocity

- Sturdy in the pocket with low center of gravity

- Game looks slow for him 

6 hours ago, anonymousGM said:

Just watched Caleb Williams tape vs Washington (2023) and TCU (2021)

- Love his ball placement and different types of throws

- High arching deep-ball with good velocity

- Sturdy in the pocket with low center of gravity

- Game looks slow for him

Watch his tape from Notre Dame... that game speeds up for him quite a bit. lol

28 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That's like everyone's go to comment everywhere. Guys are allowed bad games. Fields had a game in college when he was dog**** against Northwestern. It happens

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

That's like everyone's go to comment everywhere. Guys are allowed bad games. Fields had a game in college when he was dog**** against Northwestern. It happens

Oh I couldn't care less about him having a bad game. He had so many great ones with mediocre help it completely outweighs it. Hell USC was outmatched by the DL all game.

I've said repeatedly I'd have gone after Harbaugh or Johnson and draft Williams.

Edit - Or Maye if the HC really preferred him instead. I'd prefer Williams though.

Edited by Sugashane

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I think If he stayed with Oklahoma he would've had a better career, but the NIL money and living in SoCal was too much to pass up. Two different schemes also

23 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

I think If he stayed with Oklahoma he would've had a better career, but the NIL money and living in SoCal was too much to pass up. Two different schemes also

Ok watched him vs. ND in 2022 every snap and he was pretty much perfect. Dominate performance. Fun fact - He had a 55 yard punt and another inside the 20 and nearly had a receiving touchdown as well

Lets throw on 2023

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anonymousGM said:

Ok watched him vs. ND in 2022 every snap and he was pretty much perfect. Dominate performance. Fun fact - He had a 55 yard punt and another inside the 20 and nearly had a receiving touchdown as well

Lets throw on 2023

For comparison I would put 2023's ND as about equal to Justin Fields vs CLE in 2021. Constant pressure, OL looking overmatched, rush games sucked to start the game then were basically abandoned as they fell behind and had to hope for chunk plays to catch up. And obviously an outmatched OL facing a DL that gets to completely focus on pinning their ears back is terrible for any QB.

Neither QB stood a chance in those games, Fields nor Williams.

19 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

For comparison I would put 2023's ND as about equal to Justin Fields vs CLE in 2021. Constant pressure, OL looking overmatched, rush games sucked to start the game then were basically abandoned as they fell behind and had to hope for chunk plays to catch up. And obviously an outmatched OL facing a DL that gets to completely focus on pinning their ears back is terrible for any QB.

Neither QB stood a chance in those games, Fields nor Williams.

Something worth looking out for is 22 caleb was among the best vs pressure of any qb EVER.

23 he was below average vs pressure.... and that regression is probably the biggest thing about him from a technical standpoint I'd want to find out about as a scout.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Something worth looking out for is 22 caleb was among the best vs pressure of any qb EVER.

23 he was below average vs pressure.... and that regression is probably the biggest thing about him from a technical standpoint I'd want to find out about as a scout.

I think not having a WR that he could really rely on was key in 2023 too. Addison was solid as hell and deserved to be a first round pick. This year I'm not sure there was anyone that was actually worth a 5th around him.

• Like 1

Williams vs ND (2023) wasn't as tough to watch as I thought it was going to be. His first two INT's the receiver either stopped running or broke off the route mid-throw. On one of the sacks the referee took out the shallow cross 😂 

Either way when any QB faces pressure they will be forced to make a throw. 

What I like about Williams over Fields is that he's always in position to throw the ball. While Fields is a great athlete and has showed improvements in his release/throwing motion he is simply moving so fast that its hard for him to be accurate sometimes. Williams has a natural pocket presence and a wide base giving him the better platform to make conventional throws and off-balance throws.

I can't wait for the combine/pro day to get a full evaluation!!! I really like Fields and his growth has been steady, but you can't deny that Caleb Williams presents an amazing opportunity for the team

• Like 1

Watched the 2023 ND game. My thoughts:

• Very quick release.
  • Capable within the pocket. Hangs in there and climbs even under immense pressure.
  • Makes some nice up-and-down touch throws that many QBs struggle with.
  • Scrambles to throw. He's not running for 150 like Fields. But he'll keep a ton of plays alive.
  • Too often throws off his back foot.
  • Some horrible decision-making. Tries to play hero-ball too often.
  • USC was dominated up-front and stuck with a questionable gameplan. Way too many slow-developing plays had no chance. 3rd and 2 against a heavy blitz they're running play action out of the gun. There's a guy hitting the mesh point before Williams can even pull the ball, let alone throw it.

He reminds me of a smaller, twitchier Jay Cutler.

• Like 1