2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

I want to like odunze more than I actually like odunze. The ceiling is there, as he's rediculously athletic, with proven production, and from everything I've heard he's a very high character guy (and I bet he'll be high on bears boards), but he's not a great route runner, and not a great separator.... and I feel like those two things are the biggest requirement for either Fields or Caleb. 

That said, if the story about him fracturing a rib this year and puncturing a lung, and then still coming back to play in 2 weeks is actually true, then his toughness is also unquestionable. He's also reportedly a great blocker. 

I'm expecting the LTs to be off the board at 9....but I might actually look at an Edge over Odunze, even though I think the offense desperately needs talent, and especially if we're getting Caleb. Trading down might be ideal as well if we can leverage multiple picks on the first 2 rounds.... This draft has decent depth at the top, for the positions we need, but unlike previous drafts that had guys i liked into the third and even fourth , there aren't a whole lot of people I'm high on by even the end of the second round this year yet. 

Edited by Epyon

21 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I initially looked at it and laughed that even wide open and with a clean pocket Moore and MHJ had to make a leaping catch to snag a Fields pass. lol

I see it as opposite.  You can draft Harrison or whoever and they are just another great player who will often get to watch Justin run around much of time and not throw the ball at all.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

For all the X accounts stressing about Caleb not declaring for draft yet, they neglect to mention that Fields declared on last day too.  

Yeah I don't get the concern here at all...the deadline is the 15th so who cares when he does it hahaha

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I see it as opposite.  You can draft Harrison or whoever and they are just another great player who will often get to watch Justin run around much of time and not throw the ball at all.  

Can't wait to have 2 All Pro talents to throw for 3300 yards. It's like trying to force a racing engine into a work truck. Lol

• Like 1

Everyone knows my stance on wanting to stay the course with Fields and draft more talent onto the team overall but I do think Caleb is a really good talent...most of my concerns are more the man rather than on the field but the one question I do have about his on the field play...

2017: Baker Mayfield - 404 attempts - 285 completions - 70.5% completion - 4627 passing yards - 11.5 YPA - 43 TDs - 6 INTs - QBR 198.92

2018: Kyler Murray - 377 attempts - 260 completions - 69.0% completion - 4361 passing yards - 11.6 YPA - 42 TDs - 7 INTS - QBR 199.20 

2022: Caleb Williams - 500 attempts - 333 completions - 66.6% completion - 4537 passing yards - 9.1 YPA - 42 TDs - 5 INTs - QBR 168.54

All three under Lincoln Riley in their Heisman seasons...how much of the Caleb success is due to a scheme that dominates college football?

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Everyone knows my stance on wanting to stay the course with Fields and draft more talent onto the team overall but I do think Caleb is a really good talent...most of my concerns are more the man rather than on the field but the one question I do have about his on the field play...

2017: Baker Mayfield - 404 attempts - 285 completions - 70.5% completion - 4627 passing yards - 11.5 YPA - 43 TDs - 6 INTs - QBR 198.92

2018: Kyler Murray - 377 attempts - 260 completions - 69.0% completion - 4361 passing yards - 11.6 YPA - 42 TDs - 7 INTS - QBR 199.20 

2022: Caleb Williams - 500 attempts - 333 completions - 66.6% completion - 4537 passing yards - 9.1 YPA - 42 TDs - 5 INTs - QBR 168.54

All three under Lincoln Riley in their Heisman seasons...how much of the Caleb success is due to a scheme that dominates college football?

Now do Jalen Hurts

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Now do Jalen Hurts

Sure...

2018: Jalen Hurts - 340 attempts - 237 completions - 69.7% completion - 3851 passing yards - 11.3 YPA - 32 TDs - 8 INTs - QBR 191.20

Never won the Heisman - Never went #1 Overall...had a better completion%, YPA & QRR than Caleb did when he won the Heisman...had a better completion%, more yards, better YPA, more TDs & better QBR than Caleb this year...

So how much does the system play it's part in Caleb's success?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Sure...

2018: Jalen Hurts - 340 attempts - 237 completions - 69.7% completion - 3851 passing yards - 11.3 YPA - 32 TDs - 8 INTs - QBR 191.20

Never won the Heisman - Never went #1 Overall...had a better completion%, YPA & QRR than Caleb did when he won the Heisman...had a better completion%, more yards, better YPA, more TDs & better QBR than Caleb this year...

So how much does the system play it's part in Caleb's success?

It's hard to say but a lot of people did the same stuff with Ohio St. qb's Certainly they will stop now because of Stroud but everyone always said OSU qb's can't hack it in the NFL. Is it a reason to worry? Perhaps a little, but if anyone can break that, it's this guy

Just now, beardown3231 said:

It's hard to say but a lot of people did the same stuff with Ohio St. qb's Certainly they will stop now because of Stroud but everyone always said OSU qb's can't hack it in the NFL. Is it a reason to worry? Perhaps a little, but if anyone can break that, it's this guy

But why? Statistically you could argue he has the 3rd most impressive output here...

I guess my question is if he is as good in the pros as say this season Baker Mayfield (best season he has ever had IMO) would that be enough for people to say he was worth the #1 overall pick or is getting the haul for the picks more worth it? (Not saying he won't be better than Mayfield like I said I really like Caleb but the system question has got to be a valid one every talent evaluator around the league has to be asking)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

But why? Statistically you could argue he has the 3rd most impressive output here...

I guess my question is if he is as good in the pros as say this season Baker Mayfield (best season he has ever had IMO) would that be enough for people to say he was worth the #1 overall pick or is getting the haul for the picks more worth it? (Not saying he won't be better than Mayfield like I said I really like Caleb but the system question has got to be a valid one every talent evaluator around the league has to be asking)

Don't be that guy. Mayfield is nowhere near as talented as Williams. 

I'd say taking a chance to finally flip the franchise from mediocre to competitive is worth it.

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Don't be that guy. Mayfield is nowhere near as talented as Williams. 

I'd say taking a chance to finally flip the franchise from mediocre to competitive is worth it.

That's the issue though...that is not an answer...

Teams around the league have to be asking that question...can find highlight videos of all these guys that show they can all make crazy throws and win in that scheme...but what makes Caleb different? What makes him better than say Kyler who has the same sort of ability to escape the pocket (maybe a little faster) has as strong an arm...put up better numbers in that scheme...what separates Caleb? I guess I am looking for something to blow me off my position that two maybe even three impact players this year along with Fields is better than Caleb and one impact player.