2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

41 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This is a bold claim for any rookie QB

I don't think it's that bold of a claim actually. He said talented. He didn't say BEST or MOST POLISHED. Talent and potential still have to be harnessed and realized.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I don't think it's that bold of a claim actually. He said talented. He didn't say BEST or MOST POLISHED. Talent and potential still have to be harnessed and realized.

Having the most potential or upside...sure...

But the most talented before even taken a snap is just something that doesn't sit right with me...I think some fans need to stop with the "he is going to be a top-5 QB as soon as he steps into the league" that is just s ton of pressure no rookie QB needs regardless of how good a talent he is.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Having the most potential or upside...sure...

But the most talented before even taken a snap is just something that doesn't sit right with me...I think some fans need to stop with the "he is going to be a top-5 QB as soon as he steps into the league" that is just s ton of pressure no rookie QB needs regardless of how good a talent he is.

Well here's the thing. Being talented doesn't equal being good or successful. The talent is very apparent. Let's put it this way...who do you think in this division is more talented? 

Did you think that Brady was the most talented QB ever? I would venture to say not even close. Was he the best QB ever? He certainly is in that conversation. I don't think Williams will be a top 5 QB as soon as he gets in the league and I don't think DJ was saying that either. But the talent is certainly there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

Well here's the thing. Being talented doesn't equal being good or successful. The talent is very apparent. Let's put it this way...who do you think in this division is more talented? 

Did you think that Brady was the most talented QB ever? I would venture to say not even close. Was he the best QB ever? He certainly is in that conversation. I don't think Williams will be a top 5 QB as soon as he gets in the league and I don't think DJ was saying that either. But the talent is certainly there.

Today? Every one of them because they are starters in the NFL…

Again Williams is all potential…the same as any other prospect is just that a prospect…lets not ruin this kid before he even starts by having insane expectations…everyone points to Stroud…no one wants to look at Young…everyone just needs to pump the brakes a little…Caleb is the best prospect in the draft…he is going #1 Overall…let him progress naturally rather than thinking he will step in and instantly be a superstar…if he does then fantastic…but we are all going to need to be patient if he doesn’t.

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Today? Every one of them because they are starters in the NFL…

Again Williams is all potential…the same as any other prospect is just that a prospect…lets not ruin this kid before he even starts by having insane expectations…everyone points to Stroud…no one wants to look at Young…everyone just needs to pump the brakes a little…Caleb is the best prospect in the draft…he is going #1 Overall…let him progress naturally rather than thinking he will step in and instantly be a superstar…if he does then fantastic…but we are all going to need to be patient if he doesn’t.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I believe he may be more talented. I don't believe that he is better than any of them now. I think you are arguing better and not talented. But it's not something that needs to be beat into the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I believe he may be more talented. I don't believe that he is better than any of them now. I think you are arguing better and not talented. But it's not something that needs to be beat into the ground.

Very true bud…this one is all semantics…for me I just think talent is a tangible and you have proven it at this level…potential if your clearly have great upside but it’s unproven as you haven’t had the chance too.

The more I look at the draft the more I just can't see us staying at #9 after taking Caleb at #1...

Now of course free agency could change a lot of things but that #9 spot just seems like such a great position for a team who is looking to move up for either a QB like McCarthy who will raise or even a pass rusher...

Broncos, Raiders, Pitt could all look to move up a bit for a QB...Seahawks & Rams could look for their QB of the future...

Could even see a team like Arizona with all the ammo they have copying what Houston did with them last year and moving all the way up from #27 to grab an edge after taking MHJ...

If we can get some receiving talent in FA then I would move down pretty far and try and get more assets 

59 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The more I look at the draft the more I just can't see us staying at #9 after taking Caleb at #1...

Really gonna depend what we get for Fields, imo...i think Poles really gonna want an early second rounder. 

My board right now for 9 has Dallas Turner, Odunze or maybe Bowers, the OTs if they fall. Trading down and trying to target Brian Thomas Jr also greatly interests me. 

The things I've read about Odunze, make me think he's a lock there, if he available, though. He doesn't get as open as often as I'd like, but he's athletic as hell, with the size/contested catching we currently lack, and a willing blocker/ very high effort/character guy by all accounts. 

Turner on the other hand I simply have up there because of the positional value of edge/pass rush. We can get FA receivers, you don't really get FA stud pass rushers often. Need to see his combine RAS and 3 cone times, though. 

The other guy from this class I keep coming back to as a perfect fit for Caleb is Troy Franklin... Kid just gets open, runs fast, runs good routes, and has great hands. Odunze would be "the x", but this kid would be the big play machine that just gashes teams and compliments both Moore and Odunze. Hard to see him lasting past the early second, though, and I think he's a prime target for KC at the end of the first. Slightly unfair comparison, and I don't think he'll be that high of a volume guy, but he'd be deadly doing for KC what Tyreek used to do for them. 

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

A lot of people saying Waldron will want at least one big body receiver in this draft...closest thing we can get to that DK Metcalf skill set is Xavier Legette...6-3" 227lbs & expected to run in the low 4.4s...has a ton of straight line speed and power...as you would expect not a agile as some but nor is DK...

Moore as a #1...Legette as a #2 & say Gabe Davis as a take the top off deep threat #3 would be a nice group of receivers without having to invest a ton in as Davis won't get a massive deal and Legette should be there in the 2nd if we can either get one through Fields or by trading back from #9

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:27 AM, Madmike90 said:

This is a bold claim for any rookie QB

I respedt Jeremiah but what he is saying is a bit of hyperbole, however this just goes to show you how highly regarded CW is in the scouting community because the other NFC North teams don't exactly have slouches for QBs...

Probably more of a semantics thing...... but I mean for as much as I crap on Fields, he's still the most TALENTED QB in the division now.....  The on Field performance just isn't matching that talent potential

But yes, Caleb would ALSO be the most talented QB in the division, and it wouldn't be that close.

56 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

A lot of people saying Waldron will want at least one big body receiver in this draft...closest thing we can get to that DK Metcalf skill set is Xavier Legette...6-3" 227lbs & expected to run in the low 4.4s...has a ton of straight line speed and power...as you would expect not a agile as some but nor is DK...

Moore as a #1...Legette as a #2 & say Gabe Davis as a take the top off deep threat #3 would be a nice group of receivers without having to invest a ton in as Davis won't get a massive deal and Legette should be there in the 2nd if we can either get one through Fields or by trading back from #9

Legette is tough to scout.... He's older for a prospect, and had absolutely abysmal production any year before this most recent.  The physicality certainly shows up this year, but  I'd need to understand more about why the lightswitch suddenly "flicked on" for him as a player.  Where his coaches completely incompetent and just not using him?  Did he hit the most epic of growth spurts as a VERY LATE bloomer?  Did he juice harder than Oranges?  It just isn't adding up for me.  To channel Nagy, "you know, what are the WHYS?".

If he really is as big/rocked up muscularly with 4.2x- low 4.3x speed and plays like he did this most recent year though, he's a VERY dangerous weapon...