2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

7 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

JF and 3.75 to Pittsburgh for 1.20?

I'm saying yes all day - but think it would be a no from PIT. We would have to throw more in, or we really do find that middle ground with 2.51. Arthur Smith there really complicates things.

I honestly think that NE is the best spot for him. Draft MHJ and trade 2.34 for JF (base of trade, would likely be more complicated)

Absolutely. 20 is a perfect spot to grab JPJ @ center if we end up really wanting him (that is to say a touch early for a center, but if he's the major target it's ideal to ensure we get him)... But even outside of him it's a very good spot draft board wise... Plenty of targets that could be snagged or traded back out for in that range. 

It'd just be a ton of options opened up to us with both 9 and 20 to get better players or possibly trade back and recoup picks. 

8 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

JF1 missed 4 games, but add 3 more games with DJ to make a total of 16 games, JF1 to DJ2 would have passed them both.

I can't remember exactly, but also the percentage of JF1 to DJ was 70% or better... I might missed by a few percentages here.  The TD might not better.... however, I think a few more years together will be great for JF1 to DJ2.

Jay played 15 games in 2012 and 11 in 2013.  It works both ways.  Speculating on hypotheticals is pointless, the truth is that while DJ Moore is fantastic and played well last year, Cutler to Marshall was definitely a more prolific combo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

JF1 missed 4 games, but add 3 more games with DJ to make a total of 16 games, JF1 to DJ2 would have passed them both.

I can't remember exactly, but also the percentage of JF1 to DJ was 70% or better... I might missed by a few percentages here.  The TD might not better.... however, I think a few more years together will be great for JF1 to DJ2.

Keep in mind I really like Fields and would be emotionally well if they keep him, but part of the Fields equation is that he seems nearly guaranteed to miss games every year.  It's not a fluke that he was out.  His toughness is incredible and I love his swagger when we goes for an extra yard through a DB, but it's just part of the deal with him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think Pitt would be his best scheme fit at this point…also puts some talent around him but I would want pick #20 straight up for him…when you start looking at mid-late 2nd & 4ths the value just isn’t the same as if your getting a top 10 2nd where your probably getting a guy who could have gone 1st round and an early 4th where you have reset the board over night and have a clear view of who you want…

3 first round picks with the ability to take an elite prospect at QB and then have the flexibility to close the gap between picks and get a 2nd round pick potentially 2 would be huge.

20 would be better for sure - I just don’t think we get a 1 unless we send a lower pick back. (I’m not opposed to this btw)

Schefty said they would "definitely" get a 2 for Fields in that interview yesterday, which makes me think there's already a 2 on the table from someone. He’s as informed of a reporter as there is and I don’t think he chooses those words lightly. We almost always see “They’d like to get ___ in a trade” from he and Rapoport when speculating on value - this was far more specific which to me suggests knowledge that he won’t confirm directly but is comfortable sharing in an indirect way like this, very similar to how when Poles was interviewed shortly before the trade of 1-1 last year he said “I know I can get two 1s.”

Given that we almost never see any breaking news the week of the SB I have long suspected that the NFL privately has “high priority suggestions” out to teams that they aren't to upstage Super Bowl week with agreed upon trades, contract news, etc. I’m expecting we’ll have a confirmed trade in the next few weeks. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Schefty said they would "definitely" get a 2 for Fields in that interview yesterday, which makes me think there's already a 2 on the table from someone.

don't forget it's misdirection season. could be Poles telling schefty they have a 2nd on the table to drum up something higher

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Jay played 15 games in 2012 and 11 in 2013.  It works both ways.  Speculating on hypotheticals is pointless, the truth is that while DJ Moore is fantastic and played well last year, Cutler to Marshall was definitely a more prolific combo.

Because Marshall was a freak athlete.  He wasn't all there mentally though. 

If DJ had his body he would be best WR in NFL or top 2 or 3 every year he was healthy.

5 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Keep in mind I really like Fields and would be emotionally well if they keep him, but part of the Fields equation is that he seems nearly guaranteed to miss games every year.  It's not a fluke that he was out.  His toughness is incredible and I love his swagger when we goes for an extra yard through a DB, but it's just part of the deal with him. 

He doesn't avoid big shots.  I have been saying that since draft.

And refs don't protect him which is a problem. 

Other thing is with fast people that rely on being fast.  One day they lose a step and everything is different.  They don't have a lot of longevity for that elite speed often.

I would say Fields was generally running faster in 2022 than he was in 2023.  Could have been more muscle mass or whatever.  He was flat flying in 2022.  Still going super fast in 2023.

I would say Mooney was definitely slower this year and it had a big effect on him.

Conversely Jackson is really good at avoiding big hits.   He does those road runner stops and he has wiggle that Fields just doesn't have.

Fields runs more like a RB.   I would say Fields has higher top end speed than Jackson though.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

20 would be better for sure - I just don’t think we get a 1 unless we send a lower pick back. (I’m not opposed to this btw)

Schefty said they would "definitely" get a 2 for Fields in that interview yesterday, which makes me think there's already a 2 on the table from someone. He’s as informed of a reporter as there is and I don’t think he chooses those words lightly. We almost always see “They’d like to get ___ in a trade” from he and Rapoport when speculating on value - this was far more specific which to me suggests knowledge that he won’t confirm directly but is comfortable sharing in an indirect way like this, very similar to how when Poles was interviewed shortly before the trade of 1-1 last year he said “I know I can get two 1s.”

Given that we almost never see any breaking news the week of the SB I have long suspected that the NFL privately has “high priority suggestions” out to teams that they aren't to upstage Super Bowl week with agreed upon trades, contract news, etc. I’m expecting we’ll have a confirmed trade in the next few weeks. 

I don't know...I think there is a lot of teams out there who just don't have a QB as talented as Justin is...

Even if it was a 2nd from Washington or New England that would be a massive win as well mind you and shouldn't be ruled out if they really wanted Caleb and missed out...what would you rather have in NE? Jayden Daniels and a 2nd round WR or Marvin Harrison Jr & Justin Fields? Could make a lot of sense for those teams.

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Next 15-20 years lol. Can we get a QB to a 2nd contract first??? 

Hell, I'm just hoping for a single season where we look at our QB and know he's good, rather than hoping he might one day in the future be good.

• Like 1