2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm high enough on MHJ that I would take him over Odunze and a 2nd rounder. To me he is the top prospect in the draft. He's as close to "generational" as I've seen in a few years. That being said in now way would I be upset at the latter option, but MHJ is the stud of this class IMO.

The other factor to that equation is that you know you’re getting MHJ at 3 if you’re trading up to 3 to take him. You are hoping Nabers/Odunze make it to 9. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 5:22 PM, Madmike90 said:

Really balanced take from DJ.

A very rational take by him. Except one thing...

I will continue to say it, you can claim that Caleb Williams reminds you of Patrick Mahomes when he is in playmaking mode. But Williams does not have the same foundation that Mahomes plays with, the execution of every play in structure how it was intended to be. 

Maybe Caleb can do that, but he sure doesnt show it often in college, and things are going to get even more hectic once he jumps to the NFL. Plus we dont have the luxury to sit him for an entire career to fix these things before he is thrown into the fire.

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I will continue to say it, you can claim that Caleb Williams reminds you of Patrick Mahomes when he is in playmaking mode. But Williams does not have the same foundation that Mahomes plays with, the execution of every play in structure how it was intended to be. 

Maybe Caleb can do that, but he sure doesnt show it often in college, and things are going to get even more hectic once he jumps to the NFL. Plus we dont have the luxury to sit him for an entire career to fix these things before he is thrown into the fire.

Nor did Mahomes as a prospect...he was run, gun & hope most of his college career...it was all about development and Caleb will be the same...raw talent is outstanding but he is going to need to be coached properly to play in the NFL and consistently stack quality plays after quality plays rather than just make highlight ones...

Anyone who think Caleb is walking into the NFL as a top 5 QB or similar to Mahomes is now is completely off their heads...I would even go as far as to say anyone who thinks Caleb will come in and be as good as Stroud was in 2023 is setting themselves up for a big disappointment...Caleb will take some time to become a superstar but he has the potential to do so.

22 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Nor did Mahomes as a prospect...he was run, gun & hope most of his college career...it was all about development and Caleb will be the same...raw talent is outstanding but he is going to need to be coached properly to play in the NFL and consistently stack quality plays after quality plays rather than just make highlight ones...

Anyone who think Caleb is walking into the NFL as a top 5 QB or similar to Mahomes is now is completely off their heads...I would even go as far as to say anyone who thinks Caleb will come in and be as good as Stroud was in 2023 is setting themselves up for a big disappointment...Caleb will take some time to become a superstar but he has the potential to do so.

Everyone makes fun of Bears for passing on Mahomes.

But KC was originally drafting 27th and he went 10th.

Any team that really wanted him could have had him if they were willing to give up a first.  That miss is on everyone save KC.

Teams that had a really good QB in place do have an excuse, but KC had a good QB in place and they made move anyway.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I agree, but I do think Caleb can come in and be better statistically in year one than Fields has been to date.  Assuming they give him #1 starter reps from day 1.  

Part of that is situation granted.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I agree, but I do think Caleb can come in and be better statistically in year one than Fields has been to date.  Assuming they give him #1 starter reps from day 1.  

Part of that is situation granted.

Caleb on the Bears is probably going to be a roller coaster and fans will lose their minds.  I hope people do remember Fields' stats and use that to get some context/make them feel better, as for as cool a player as Fields is, his total seasons have been poor by numbers. Partly missing games, partly silly game plan, partly he just hasn't been a prolific passer and may never be. 

I've got "WE'RE ALL DOOMED" copied, and am ready to paste it into the first gameday thread as soon he gets an incompletion/interception.  Would probably put money on two interceptions in the first Bears QB start next fall. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Caleb on the Bears is probably going to be a roller coaster and fans will lose their minds.  I hope people do remember Fields' stats and use that to get some context/make them feel better, as for as cool a player as Fields is, his total seasons have been poor by numbers. Partly missing games, partly silly game plan, partly he just hasn't been a prolific passer and may never be. 

I've got "WE'RE ALL DOOMED" copied, and am ready to paste it into the first gameday thread as soon he gets an incompletion/interception.  Would probably put money on two interceptions in the first Bears QB start next fall. 

Stroud had a great season and looks like real deal, but he started 0-2, lost to Panthers and had a cake schedule. 

Burrow threw 3 consecutive ints against the 2021 Bears.  Year he took Bengals to SB.  

Until 49ers defense started playing not to lose and stopped playing aggressively late in SB Mahomes was largely bottled up.  

Team matters.  Coaching matters.  QBs are biggest single factor in NFL football, but QBs are human too.  Playing QB in NFL is hard.  If it wasn't a lot more people could do it.  

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think that's the thing you hope you can coach into him

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Stroud had a great season and looks like real deal, but he started 0-2, lost to Panthers and had a cake schedule. 

Burrow threw 3 consecutive ints against the 2021 Bears.  Year he took Bengals to SB.  

Until 49ers defense started playing not to lose and stopped playing aggressively late in SB Mahomes was largely bottled up.  

Team matters.  Coaching matters.  QBs are biggest single factor in NFL football, but QBs are human too.  Playing QB in NFL is hard.  If it wasn't a lot more people could do it.  

Stroud being really good as a rookie might’ve been the worst thing that could ever happen locally as far as expectations should Williams be drafted here. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Stroud being really good as a rookie might’ve been the worst thing that could ever happen locally as far as expectations should Williams be drafted here. 

???

We're not asking for the moon here, we just want him to live up to his comparisons to Mahomes, NOT Stroud, but faster, like Stroud. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

???

We're not asking for the moon here, we just want him to live up to his comparisons to Mahomes, NOT Stroud, but faster, like Stroud. 

Sarcasm noted, but you know a not-so-small faction of our fan base will be losing their **** if he’s not a clear star by the end of baseball season. Even more so if Fields starts well elsewhere. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Sarcasm noted, but you know a not-so-small faction of our fan base will be losing their **** if he’s not a clear star by the end of baseball season. Even more so if Fields starts well elsewhere. 

There is a small but loud faction that will say they want him to succeed, but hope he fails so they can say to people they don't know on the internet that I told you we should have kept Fields and traded for the haul.  

Human nature for many.  I kind of long for days that you had to call in to a radio show and hope they took your call to have a voice.  

I wanted MT to do well.   He has financially.  I want Fields to do well, except when playing the Bears.

I am happy Nagy won SB.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Oh I'm counting on it.  I'm so sour on the Bears at this point that most of the year I'm just tuning in to see what stupid **** happens next.  They have exactly 1020 minutes a year where I'm actively on the Bears side.  Rest of the time I'm just here to see people get personalreasoned, and for Eberflus to inevitably point out that the plays he called were good, but the other ones were the DC or something. If they're ever good I honestly don't know how I'll handle it.  

I think every rational fan probably thinks their fanbase is the worst, it's natural.  But secretly I think we all know it's the Pats. Or rather the former Pats fans that were Eagles fans for a minute and are now diehard Chiefs kingdom. (It's really the Bears though)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There is a small but loud faction that will say they want him to succeed, but hope he fails so they can say to people they don't know on the internet that I told you we should have kept Fields and traded for the haul.  

Human nature for many.  I kind of long for days that you had to call in to a radio show and hope they took your call to have a voice.  

I wanted MT to do well.   He has financially.  I want Fields to do well, except when playing the Bears.

I am happy Nagy won SB.  

With you until the last one and then I swear I heard a record scratch.  Nagy was probably the best coach we had since Lovie, but that's still not very good.  And watching someone fail backwards into winning a couple Super Bowls isn't heart warming to me. I might not want him dead or even badly hurt but I would not say I was happy to watch him somehow turn the Chiefs receives into the 2017 Bears WRs, and then win out anyway. 

Just now, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

With you until the last one and then I swear I heard a record scratch.  Nagy was probably the best coach we had since Lovie, but that's still not very good.  And watching someone fail backwards into winning a couple Super Bowls isn't heart warming to me. I might not want him dead or even badly hurt but I would not say I was happy to watch him somehow turn the Chiefs receives into the 2017 Bears WRs, and then win out anyway. 

If it makes you feel any better no one is giving him any credit as long as he coaches for Reid and has Mahomes at QB.

He is a nice guy.