2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He made clear he wasn't basing it on inside info from the Bears. But he speaks to lots of front office people around the league and the Bears decision has been a hot topic for more than a month. I don't believe that nobody he's spoken with has expressed an opinion either way on what the Bears should or will do. Trading down worked out well for Chicago last year so there is a natural belief around the league they may do it again. Against that is the hype for the top 3 QBs. It's not obvious which is the way to go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

He made clear he wasn't basing it on inside info from the Bears. But he speaks to lots of front office people around the league and the Bears decision has been a hot topic for more than a month. I don't believe that nobody he's spoken with has expressed an opinion either way on what the Bears should or will do. Trading down worked out well for Chicago last year so there is a natural belief around the league they may do it again. Against that is the hype for the top 3 QBs. It's not obvious which is the way to go.

This year isn’t just different because of the available rookie QBs - he also has an extra year of data on Fields and what his long term prognosis is as an NFL starter and also a far different roster than he had last February. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

This year isn’t just different because of the available rookie QBs - he also has an extra year of data on Fields and what his long term prognosis is as an NFL starter and also a far different roster than he had last February. 

Bears also have a more settled roster after adding Sweat, Moore, Wright, Dexter, Stevenson, Edmunds, Edwards. They don’t have nearly as many obvious holes as they did 1 year ago.

Edited by refundmytickets
  • Like 1

I'm not that big of a Drake Maye believer myself, but man is it going to be a tough sell to fans to pass up on another elite qb coached by Kliff Kingsbury, playing in a Lincoln Riley air raid system,  and former Heisman winner, to draft another North Carolina qb wearing #10 with extremely questionable processing.

That said, I'll say the same thing I said when we took Mitch.... I'm fine with the pick, so long as he has conviction about it. But you can't be wrong when you are looking at qb this early. The ship goes down, you're going with it. 

Edited by Epyon

11 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'm not that big of a Drake Maye believer myself, but man is it going to be a tough sell to fans to pass up on another elite qb coached by Kliff Kingsbury, playing in a Lincoln Riley air raid system,  and former Heisman winner, to draft another North Carolina qb wearing #10 with extremely questionable processing.

That said, I'll say the same thing I said when we took Mitch.... I'm fine with the pick, so long as he has conviction about it. But you can't be wrong when you are looking at qb this early. The ship goes down, you're going with it. 

The UNC/10 thing is such a fan thing to care about. Different HC. Different OC. Different player. The uniform is literally the only thing similar about them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The UNC/10 thing is such a fan thing to care about. Different HC. Different OC. Different player. The uniform is literally the only thing similar about them. 

When I draft the next QB wearing 5 at Texas Tech or 8 at Cal you're going to look SOOOO stupid...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I never said the average fan was smart..... Hell, 60,000 of them where chanting "we want Justin" right before the end of the season, when statistically he should be getting run out of town. But they absolutely would talk about it, justified or not.

Regarding Mitch and Maye similarities though, they have the same tape filled with half field, single read plays though.  The UNC is doing less than nothing to prepare Maye for the NFL. You not only have to teach him from the ground up how to read the field, you probably have to break habits UNC drilled into him.... Mitch had that exact problem and NEVER developed past it. Maybe Maye can.... but it's a hell of a gamble

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Regarding Mitch and Maye similarities though, they have the same tape filled with half field, single read plays though.  The UNC is doing less than nothing to prepare Maye for the NFL. You not only have to teach him from the ground up how to read the field, you probably have to break habits UNC drilled into him.... Mitch had that exact problem and NEVER developed past it. Maybe Maye can.... but it's a hell of a gamble

For the sake of fairness, isn’t this most of college football now? Most of what Williams ran under Riley and Daniels ran at LSU isn’t NFL-like either. It’s one of the things that makes evaluating QBs harder now than ever IMO. More than ever it’s a tools evaluation.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

I never said the average fan was smart..... Hell, 60,000 of them where chanting "we want Justin" right before the end of the season, when statistically he should be getting run out of town. But they absolutely would talk about it, justified or not.

On that we certainly agree lol. Re: the chanting, and really a good portion of the Fields love overall, I think it points out something rarely discussed about sports fandom - even more than winning (which everyone likes and wants), people watch and enjoy sports to be entertained. It’s an escape from mundane reality. They want to see people do things that are uncommon and that they themselves can’t do. It’s the same reason why people like action movies and play RPG video games and why some people like magicians and why Cirque du Soleil is so successful everywhere. For all his struggles to pick up the nuances of playing QB that differentiate average players from great ones, watching Fields is great entertainment, because he gives you that incredibly rare, “How the hell did he do that?” stuff nearly every week. For the longest time the Bears QBs have been both underwhelming as QBs and boring. Fields has been disappointing overall to expectations but incredibly exciting along the way, and that matters for a lot of people. People don’t want to lose that. Sometimes you get so thirsty going through the desert that you see the mirage of an oasis and drink the sand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Bears fans did the same with Mitch. They love to cling to QB mediocrity for the off-chance at another 2006.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

For the sake of fairness, isn’t this most of college football now? Most of what Williams ran under Riley and Daniels ran at LSU isn’t NFL-like either. It’s one of the things that makes evaluating QBs harder now than ever IMO. More than ever it’s a tools evaluation.

Shhhh that doesn’t fit the narrative 

• Like 2