2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

It’s all an elaborate ploy to get himself drafted at 9 by the Bears, right?

(this falls under the same category as Williams not doing the broad medical for me - what purpose does this interview serve other than to give the media some quotes?)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s all an elaborate ploy to get himself drafted at 9 by the Bears, right?

(this falls under the same category as Williams not doing the broad medical for me - what purpose does this interview serve other than to give the media some quotes?)

In spite of his divaness I would still draft MH Jr at 9.  I am crazy like that. 

Also if you look the same Bears fans on X bashing Caleb are not bashing MH Jr.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

In spite of his divaness I would still draft MH Jr at 9.  I am crazy like that. 

Also if you look the same Bears fans on X bashing Caleb are not bashing MH Jr.  

I don’t even see it as divaness. It’s not mandatory, and I’m honestly surprised more guys don’t opt out of it. As a non-QB I don’t think he has any requirements to meet with media during the season in the NFL unless it’s at the Super Bowl. You know who else didn’t really do media stuff? Marvin Harrison Sr. It could be diva-like behavior (though most divas seek the spotlight), but maybe he struggles with speaking to large groups (not at all uncommon). Maybe he’s got a cold. Maybe he overslept. Maybe he’s just a quiet kid who likes to work his *** off at being awesome at football then go home and lead a peaceful existence.

Unless he’s not there because of a health or legal issue this is entirely irrelevant to his player evaluation from the team standpoint IMO. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t even see it as divaness. It’s not mandatory, and I’m honestly surprised more guys don’t opt out of it. As a non-QB I don’t think he has any requirements to meet with media during the season in the NFL unless it’s at the Super Bowl. You know who else didn’t really do media stuff? Marvin Harrison Sr. It could be diva-like behavior (though most divas seek the spotlight), but maybe he struggles with speaking to large groups (not at all uncommon). Maybe he’s got a cold. Maybe he overslept. Maybe he’s just a quiet kid who likes to work his *** off at being awesome at football then go home and lead a peaceful existence.

Unless he’s not there because of a health or legal issue this is entirely irrelevant to his player evaluation from the team standpoint IMO. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the two guys unconventionally opting out of some of this meat market-like process are both unrepped by agents. The agents are part of the greater football industrial machine. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was being sarcastic in calling him a diva of course.

Also this is new era of CFB.  This is first group where some of players are already millionaires. 

New ground being plowed.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

https://x.com/chgo_bears/status/1763566239807397979?s=46&t=SQdrLo9OvA4uiIQWb73aCg

Caleb says he is around Aaron Rodgers size…Rodgers at the combine was dead on 6-2” 223lbs…would be surprised if he is that big but very interested to find out.

223 I believe - he looks jacked. I think he’s probably a tiny bit shorter than that. We’ll find out for sure today at some point. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is the **** we get from these “interviews” - what part of this is valuable to anyone who is evaluating these guys as prospects? 

How will we ever survive without MHJ’s answer to this question??? 😒

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t even see it as divaness. It’s not mandatory, and I’m honestly surprised more guys don’t opt out of it.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is the **** we get from these “interviews” - what part of this is valuable to anyone who is evaluating these guys as prospects? 

What I think we are seeing here is the downward trajectory of the Combine itself.

Things change, they always do. The Pro-Bowl, the Dunk Contest, the HR Derby. They were all the peak of down time sports, but they just dont hold the interest or attract the top talent like they used to.

The NFL will hold onto this forever, its another week on the Calendar that they hold over every sport, but I bet we start seeing less and less Top 5, then Top 10 picks showing up to Indy

They will do the Deion thing, and set up specific meetings with teams that want them at the top, which will also force changes in rules for contact with these prospects, etc, etc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

If you ever had a job or been part of something that has lots of endless seemingly pointless long meetings you know the frustration of it. 

I immediately thought of BMT. "Hurry the hell up and wait. He'll be here between yesterday and tomorrow, and you best not move until he is there, or was there!" lol

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

How will we ever survive without MHJ’s answer to this question??? 😒

This is why I wouldn't take half the questions seriously. I love Rome's answer.

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

What I think we are seeing here is the downward trajectory of the Combine itself.

Things change, they always do. The Pro-Bowl, the Dunk Contest, the HR Derby. They were all the peak of down time sports, but they just dont hold the interest or attract the top talent like they used to.

The NFL will hold onto this forever, its another week on the Calendar that they hold over every sport, but I bet we start seeing less and less Top 5, then Top 10 picks showing up to Indy

They will do the Deion thing, and set up specific meetings with teams that want them at the top, which will also force changes in rules for contact with these prospects, etc, etc

Agreed. I haven't looked at the combine for even a second. Granted if I was more invested I would but I'm not making a penny off of it so I can look at the numbers and see some highlights and get 95% of what I want out of the combine.

You're dead on about the attractions dying out. Last HR derby I watched was over 10 years ago, same for the Pro Bowl. I watched Lavine win back to backs and they were pretty good but the following year sucked and was the last one I watched. Last NBA all star game I watched was Shaq's last, he did the dance and then was co-MVP with Kobe when he came in and people basically just nope'd their butts out of his way. There were always blowouts, sometimes you have 40 point blowouts, but the effort was there, you just had 3-5 HOFs on fire and what the hell can you do when that happens? But you could see in the late 2000s the defense started getting easier, less competitive by half the guys it seemed. It use to be the collection of the greatest talent in the world for a single game but meh.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

hings change, they always do. The Pro-Bowl

They should do the combine like the Pro Bowl, sure have it be about collecting data, but sorry teams, you're gonna have to watch DLmen run routes and catch passes thrown by the cornerbacks. QBs will have their punting and long snapping measured. There will be a swimming pool and the players will be scored as either being able to jump out of it or not being able to. The car that each player arrives to the combine in will be documented.

I jest, but I know some staffer in an analytics department in a front office is reading this and thinking "You know, that sounds kind of fun...."

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I immediately thought of BMT. "Hurry the hell up and wait. He'll be here between yesterday and tomorrow, and you best not move until he is there, or was there!" lol

This is why I wouldn't take half the questions seriously. I love Rome's answer.

Agreed. I haven't looked at the combine for even a second. Granted if I was more invested I would but I'm not making a penny off of it so I can look at the numbers and see some highlights and get 95% of what I want out of the combine.

You're dead on about the attractions dying out. Last HR derby I watched was over 10 years ago, same for the Pro Bowl. I watched Lavine win back to backs and they were pretty good but the following year sucked and was the last one I watched. Last NBA all star game I watched was Shaq's last, he did the dance and then was co-MVP with Kobe when he came in and people basically just nope'd their butts out of his way. There were always blowouts, sometimes you have 40 point blowouts, but the effort was there, you just had 3-5 HOFs on fire and what the hell can you do when that happens? But you could see in the late 2000s the defense started getting easier, less competitive by half the guys it seemed. It use to be the collection of the greatest talent in the world for a single game but meh.

Yeah, the HR derby has gone downhill for sure, but MLB did do one thing right in making the winner of the all-star game have home-field advantage in the World Series. I don't know what the NFL version is... the league who wins the Pro Bowl, in the following year's Super Bowl, only need nine yards per first down instead of ten. That would be interesting.