Chase Young to Niners for conditional 3rd round pick

MikeT14

On 1/7/2024 at 6:53 PM, taylor made said:

How did this guy end up worse on the 49ers than us? 2.5 sacks, 9 tackles in 9 games

I keep telling my daughter the same mantra over and over about her soccer and her singing.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Chase thought he had arrived after his rookie season. He never really tried after that and has been trying to dine out on that ever since.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I keep telling my daughter the same mantra over and over about her soccer and her singing.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Chase thought he had arrived after his rookie season. He never really tried after that and has been trying to dine out on that ever since.

It’s a shame, too, because we also don’t know if the knee injury played into his downturn in performance or not either.  It certainly didn’t help that it seemed that his motor went down a couple pegs after that rookie season.  

We’ll never know what Chase could have been.  I hope that the experience this year overall has been humbling for him, because I think he’s looking at a one year “prove it” contract this coming off-season.  No way does another team commit to more than one year.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s a shame, too, because we also don’t know if the knee injury played into his downturn in performance or not either.  It certainly didn’t help that it seemed that his motor went down a couple pegs after that rookie season.  

We’ll never know what Chase could have been.  I hope that the experience this year overall has been humbling for him, because I think he’s looking at a one year “prove it” contract this coming off-season.  No way does another team commit to more than one year.  

The sad thing is that after we declined the 5th-year option, he was basically on a “one year prove it” contract this year — and he still seemed pretty uninterested in proving it. 

I do think it’s possible that he thinks he’s still going to cash in this offseason regardless, because he’s **CHASE YOUNG** But I don’t think that’s in the cards for him, and maybe that will be a humbling experience.

Watching him all year, he was very hesitant to get down into a 3-point stance. That would concern me if I was worrying about whether his knee is back. He still had some juice, but…why the insistence on standing up so much?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

The sad thing is that after we declined the 5th-year option, he was basically on a “one year prove it” contract this year — and he still seemed pretty uninterested in proving it. 

I do think it’s possible that he thinks he’s still going to cash in this offseason regardless, because he’s **CHASE YOUNG** But I don’t think that’s in the cards for him, and maybe that will be a humbling experience.

Watching him all year, he was very hesitant to get down into a 3-point stance. That would concern me if I was worrying about whether his knee is back. He still had some juice, but…why the insistence on standing up so much?

I mean, I don’t view that as being on a prove-it contract.  Chase probably thought he would be some kind of great, and we would be franchising him, so there really wasn’t a difference for him in getting the option picked up versus the franchise tag.  It’s also a pretty negligible amount of money in the end if I recall.  

I 100% agree with the rest of your assessment.  

I still think there’s something in Chase that he hasn’t realized yet but yes, I know out of this forum I’m always the most optimistic & often unrealistic with young players developing into something they currently aren’t.

I will say this season has to be seen for what it is for Chase, it’s his first year returning from a knee injury that could have ended his career bc not only was it the torn ACL but it was also the ruptured patella tendon along with & some doctors thing he already had the patella tendon injury the first half of 2021 before he tore his ACL bc as one doctor that Kevin Sheehan had on his show said, those injuries don’t happen together at one time so, it was his opinion that Chase was playing with the patella tendon knee injury before he tore his ACL so, when you hear that it explains somewhat why he wasn’t lighting the world on fire the beginning of 2021 outside of Chase thinking he had already arrived & being immature/going off schedule often in the D.

Anyways, I still feel Chase’s best days are in front of him. It’s funny, bc when you talk to C’s fans - such as this forum - most are so negative about Chase.

I guess it’s bc we took him #2 overall and he didn’t become the game changing player right away we thought we were getting and they’re mad at him for that & obviously we passed on Tua & Herbert who are now the QBs this team is still looking for as they both look like franchise QB but, when you go to other forums on this site or on the socials you see many other teams fans see him how I still see him as an unfinished product.

For ex. most on here know I’m also a Steelers fan and when it looked like Rivera might trade Chase last summer or when Chase was being rumored to be traded this fall, a lot of Steelers fans & Ravens fans too wanted him. And, they didn’t see him always playing as a 3-4 OLB in their scheme, they saw Chase playing opposite Cam Hayward & eventually replacing him as a 5 technique interior pass rusher going against guards as a 280 pound 3-4 DE/ 5 tech who would basically be playing DT most of the time.

So possibly that’s the future for Chase more so than an edge pass rusher?

I don’t know just saying.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Bull rusher and a guy that attempts to run around tackles. That's it. Wasn't dynamic to begin with. And the knee injury has/will impede him from becoming more dynamic. 

Listening to his dad too, that's an attitude that will instill ego in a son every single time. Just nothing but excuses and an exaggeration of his son's situation, in particular the double and triple teaming that wasn't happening at near the rate his father was claiming. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Bull rusher and a guy that attempts to run around tackles. That's it. Wasn't dynamic to begin with. And the knee injury has/will impede him from becoming more dynamic. 

Listening to his dad too, that's an attitude that will instill ego in a son every single time. Just nothing but excuses and an exaggeration of his son's situation, in particular the double and triple teaming that wasn't happening at near the rate his father was claiming. 

He really never had the strenght , size to bull rush . Just a speed guy. and he didn't have much "bend". Overrated overdrafted from the git go . Lavar, I promise - my last comment. Turtle will have to keep it rolling  !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I

For ex. most on here know I’m also a Steelers fan and when it looked like Rivera might trade Chase last summer or when Chase was being rumored to be traded this fall, a lot of Steelers fans & Ravens fans too wanted him. And, they didn’t see him always playing as a 3-4 OLB in their scheme, they saw Chase playing opposite Cam Hayward & eventually replacing him as a 5 technique interior pass rusher going against guards as a 280 pound 3-4 DE/ 5 tech who would basically be playing DT most of the time.

I love the rest of your post and feel that it is a really good take on the situation.  However, I think this would work out for Tomlin as well as it worked out for Shanahan with Fat Albert in the defensive switch we wanted to make years ago.  

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

How is this thread still going lol

People that want to be right about him being a bust can’t stop pointing it out when he doesn’t have a sack or two every game with a few strip sacks & touchdowns. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

He really never had the strenght , size to bull rush . Just a speed guy. and he didn't have much "bend". Overrated overdrafted from the git go . Lavar, I promise - my last comment. Turtle will have to keep it rolling  !

That’s the opposite of what he is. If he was a speed guy he would be bending the corner every snap and running to the outside shoulder of OTs to get more sacks. He’s extremely strong but he doesn’t have the quick twitch ability of say a TJ Watt as a pass rusher or those who are built differently than him and 10-20 pounds lighter.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I love the rest of your post and feel that it is a really good take on the situation.  However, I think this would work out for Tomlin as well as it worked out for Shanahan with Fat Albert in the defensive switch we wanted to make years ago.  

Maybe if Chase won’t do it, but for Chase’s career I think it would be a good thing to turn him into a Heyward type DE/pass rushing DT on pass downs. 

I don’t think Chase is the equivalent of Fat Albert, but I could be wrong about that. I think his time in San Fan he’s learning a lot from his teammates, his coaches and he’s being humbled into a better teammate and player.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

People that want to be right about him being a bust can’t stop pointing it out when he doesn’t have a sack or two every game with a few strip sacks & touchdowns. 🤷‍♂️

@lavar703 comments like this are why this will never die. 

Hello Turtle, Chase Young got traded in the 4th year of his rookie contract after being drafted 2nd overall for a 3rd round pick. He is definitely a bust for his draft position.  He is also no longer our problem. We recouped some value for him because he is a below average player who won't get the LTD he wanted. He looked much better the first half of this year here, than he did in SF and the staff is vindicated for not giving him the 5th year GTD money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

@lavar703 comments like this are why this will never die. 

Hello Turtle, Chase Young got traded in the 4th year of his rookie contract after being drafted 2nd overall for a 3rd round pick. He is definitely a bust for his draft position.  He is also no longer our problem. We recouped some value for him because he is a below average player who won't get the LTD he wanted. He looked much better the first half of this year here, than he did in SF and the staff is vindicated for not giving him the 5th year GTD money. 

Excuse me? I go down through the topics to see what I’ve missed every few days & then I see a page of fans crapping on Chase like he slept with their wife or something so, I just thought I’d chime in and basically saying the dudes career is not over yet.

People were apparently taking about Chase for days & I didn’t even know it. Taylor Made just had to bring up that Chase only had 2.5 sacks in his time in San Fran, like WTF does that matter now? 

He’s not in DC anymore. So like @lavar703 I wish I didn’t have to come into this forum and see people still so pressed about him.

Edited by turtle28