Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Belichek completely blew this tbh. He has known for weeks if not months that he would be out of a job and he clearly wants to keep coaching in order to get the win record, and yet he did absolutely nothing to pull together a staff that suggests to other teams that he learned a single lesson from his mismanagement of the Patriots in the past couple of years.

Instead he thought owners would be so bowled over by his name/history that they'd be enthusiastic about him bringing along his merry band of losers and weirdos - Patricia, McDaniels, Judge, etc. Older coaches can still succeed in this league but you have to be willing to show that you're able to change/evolve with the game, but Belichek seems like he might be too stubborn to do that. 

His best chance at this stage is probably taking a year off, doing some broadcasting, and building relationships with some new coaches so that he can go into next year with a staff that isn't just the same retreads that have failed everywhere else they've gone because they don't have the 'Patriot Way' Tom Brady to smooth things over. I still don't know if that'll be enough but at least one of Philly, Buffalo, or Dallas will likely have an opening next year and desperate to get over the hump so if Belichek can sell himself as a bridge with a younger OC as the potential coach-in-waiting you can at least see a viable short-term and long-term path to success there. 

Yeah the fact that the first report was that he'd bring in the same guys he's always had who are proven losers in this league really was eye-opening. Absolutely zero attempt to evolve or modernize his staff.

28 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Belichek completely blew this tbh. He has known for weeks if not months that he would be out of a job and he clearly wants to keep coaching in order to get the win record, and yet he did absolutely nothing to pull together a staff that suggests to other teams that he learned a single lesson from his mismanagement of the Patriots in the past couple of years.

Instead he thought owners would be so bowled over by his name/history that they'd be enthusiastic about him bringing along his merry band of losers and weirdos - Patricia, McDaniels, Judge, etc. Older coaches can still succeed in this league but you have to be willing to show that you're able to change/evolve with the game, but Belichek seems like he might be too stubborn to do that. 

His best chance at this stage is probably taking a year off, doing some broadcasting, and building relationships with some new coaches so that he can go into next year with a staff that isn't just the same retreads that have failed everywhere else they've gone because they don't have the 'Patriot Way' Tom Brady to smooth things over. I still don't know if that'll be enough but at least one of Philly, Buffalo, or Dallas will likely have an opening next year and desperate to get over the hump so if Belichek can sell himself as a bridge with a younger OC as the potential coach-in-waiting you can at least see a viable short-term and long-term path to success there. 

He might get stuck in broadcasting, hate it, and then just retire.

49 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Don't really think there's a chance that Vrabel is willing to take a job as an assistant -- he would probably take the year off rather than doing that and then try again next year where he isn't thrown into the mix midstream. Waiting a year also gives him the option of waiting to see what happens with Ohio State -- if Ryan Day can't beat Sherrone Moore then they will most likely throw the entire bag at him next year. 

If that's the case, then that's a bad idea. I wonder if Ohio State would hire him. Kind of a Belichick-tree HArbaugh.

43 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Mike Macdonald and Ben Johnson are locks for jobs. Dave Canales is just about a lock too. That leaves one team and Bill Belichick is less interviewed than Raheem Morris and Bobby Slowik who I would wager are likelier to fill the fourth vacancy available currently. Bills should do TV for a year.

Panthers - Dave Canales

Seahawks - Raheem Morris/Mike Vrabel

Commanders - Ben Johnson

Falcons - Mike Macdonald

MAcDonald is interesting. And definitely in the running. But IDK if he ends up being the guy. I do know they have a 2nd interview for him, so it could end up being him.

16 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah the fact that the first report was that he'd bring in the same guys he's always had who are proven losers in this league really was eye-opening. Absolutely zero attempt to evolve or modernize his staff.

Absolutely. That's why I didn't want him here.

16 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Mine:

• Commanders -> Ben Johnson
  • Falcons -> Bill Belichick
  • Seahawks -> Dan Quinn
  • Panthers -> Dave Canales

Edit: I think the NFL wants to see another year out of Slowik - unfortunately for him, he had more competition than usual this year, but he'll be a super hot 2025 candidate.  He could probably get the Panthers job this year, but I don't think he'll ultimately be that desperate unless Tepper makes him one of the highest paid coaches in the league.

And I think Macdonald has the whole "we want an offensive-minded HC to pair with our young QB" mindset working against him when it comes to the most attractive opportunities, plus he only has one year as an NFL DC.  But I think he'll be another hot 2025 candidate, especially if the Ravens win the SB this year.

😎

12 hours ago, game3525 said:

Cowherd's vendetta against defensive coaches is weird. Even Rex Ryan could talk circles around him concerning offensive philosophy, play-calling, and design. 

I think his issue is likely what this tweet points to

This is why if I ran a team, I would probably never hire a defensive coach at HC unless I had an established QB. Just look at what happened with Vrabel in Tennessee. Matt Lafleur gets poached, then Arthur Smith, and for the last few years they were a mess on offense due to a myriad of issues but play calling played a huge part.

They also lean quite conservative in game management, which is not how the modern game is played.

3 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-hire-coach-ben-johnson-detroit-lions-boomer-esiason-reports

Boomer Esiason is reporting that the Commanders will hire Ben Johnson as their new HC. I have yet to hear any confirmation on this

It really depends on if Atlanta or Washington gets to him first, IMO. Whoever interviews him first won't let him out the room.

3 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-hire-coach-ben-johnson-detroit-lions-boomer-esiason-reports

Boomer Esiason is reporting that the Commanders will hire Ben Johnson as their new HC. I have yet to hear any confirmation on this

A) They will

B) He's just speculating and stating it as fact (see A for an example of this)

7 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

There's been trickles of it throughout. The local beats have hinted Ben has been the #1 target. We've moved VERY quickly and efficiently on everything, and you haven't really heard our name much recently because we've solely (for the most part) been interacting with guys still unavailable. I'm 100% convinced it's Ben Johnson, that it is more or less locked up through Peters, and if not I'd guess Slowick or Macdonald. 

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

There's been trickles of it throughout. The local beats have hinted Ben has been the #1 target. We've moved VERY quickly and efficiently on everything, and you haven't really heard our name much recently because we've solely (for the most part) been interacting with guys still unavailable. I'm 100% convinced it's Ben Johnson, that it is more or less locked up through Peters, and if not I'd guess Slowick or Macdonald. 

Agree.  Though it's weird to me that Keim keeps saying it's down to Johnson, Quinn and Morris (with Johnson not being a lock).  I'd be PO'd if we bypassed Johnson, Macdonald and Slowik for either of the other two.

Edited by HTTRDynasty

Imo the Falcons should be going for Slowik over Ben Johnson with how their team is constructed currently. You can essentially replicate exactly what the Niners are doing in Atlanta if you can move up to get your QB and look how much Slowik can unlock a young talent at QB. To me that seems like an obvious great fit with Bijan, Pitts, and London already in place on offense and a solid defensive core.