Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I don't even think in person will matter. Decision by both parties in good faith was already made IMO. . 

Likely. Still good to use the time to finalize potential staff and other details. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DawgX said:

Is it though? If Washington still had Snyder, then I'd 100% agree. But he's gone. They have some young talented pieces and a chance to draft a franchise QB. Seattle isn't in bad shape by any means, but I don't think Geno Smith is gonna lead you to a Super Bowl victory.

Seattle's roster is much better than Washington's - like it's not even close. You can cut Geno if you want or you can roll with him as a bridge QB. Either way neither Howell nor Geno is going to win you a Superbowl but at least Geno can bridge you while you draft another QB or something.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Seattle's roster is much better than Washington's - like it's not even close. You can cut Geno if you want or you can roll with him as a bridge QB. Either way neither Howell nor Geno is going to win you a Superbowl but at least Geno can bridge you while you draft another QB or something.

Or maybe you're thinking the #2 overall pick to get my QB now, plus 6 Top 105ish picks, plus a Top 2 cap space is as good a place as any to start. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Or maybe you're thinking the #2 overall pick to get my QB now, plus 6 Top 105ish picks, plus a Top 2 cap space is as good a place as any to start. 

You're still at least one year away from doing anything. Seattle's already ready to win with this roster and can draft a QB, let him sit a year then be ready next year as well.

I also don't want to compete against Philly and Dallas. I'd rather compete against SF and maybe LAR depending how long McVay/Stafford/Donald last. Plus, Mike Mac has dominated the Shanahan/McVay offenses.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You're still at least one year away from doing anything. Seattle's already ready to win with this roster and can draft a QB, let him sit a year then be ready next year as well.

I also don't want to compete against Philly and Dallas. I'd rather compete against SF and maybe LAR depending how long McVay/Stafford/Donald last. Plus, Mike Mac has dominated the Shanahan/McVay offenses.

All valid points. I just think you're selling short of the appeal of the Commanders moving forward. There's an argument to be made that there is good talent already on the roster and coaching held it back. 

I'm also not sure I'd pick taking SF and the Rams over Dallas and Philadelphia at the moment. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

All valid points. I just think you're selling short of the appeal of the Commanders moving forward. There's an argument to be made that there is good talent already on the roster and coaching held it back. 

I'm also not sure I'd pick taking SF and the Rams over Dallas and Philadelphia at the moment. 

What talent is on the WAS roster? I count maybe 2-3 good players on that team.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Payne, Allen, McLaurin, Fuller, Curl

And then you hope for expansions from guys like Robinson, Dotson, Davis, Cosmi, Forrest. And hope that coaching affected Forbes and St Juste.

59 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Exactly what I’ve said in our forum.  Really, I counted only Howell, McLaurin and Payne as being building blocks of this team who will be there in the next three years.  And that was before Howell struggled down the stretch.  You can’t even replace Howell with Kam Curl, who hasn’t signed an extension yet and could walk.  An argument could be made that you could even trade McLaurin because he will be 31 in three years.

This team does not have a lot of talent, and Ron Rivera actually left it with less than he inherited.  While it is exciting to have actual NFL executive who wants to be here, and the highest likelihood of either hot coordinator candidate taking this job, it is going to be a lengthy process.  I would not expect to be in the spot that the Lions are in right now in Year 3 even.  It’s a tough road out of here.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Likely. Still good to use the time to finalize potential staff and other details. 

I take it all back.  No clue what Washington is thinking with 4 scheduled "2nd" interviews BEFORE Johnson in a couple of days/tomorrow??? WTF?

That's not due diligence,  that's stupidity. Better hope Seattle doesn't scoop him up Godfather Style since apparently they schedule a interview in Detroit with Johnson Today? 👌🐴

Edited by Nabbs4u

45 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Exactly what I’ve said in our forum.  Really, I counted only Howell, McLaurin and Payne as being building blocks of this team who will be there in the next three years.  And that was before Howell struggled down the stretch.  You can’t even replace Howell with Kam Curl, who hasn’t signed an extension yet and could walk.  An argument could be made that you could even trade McLaurin because he will be 31 in three years.

This team does not have a lot of talent, and Ron Rivera actually left it with less than he inherited.  While it is exciting to have actual NFL executive who wants to be here, and the highest likelihood of either hot coordinator candidate taking this job, it is going to be a lengthy process.  I would not expect to be in the spot that the Lions are in right now in Year 3 even.  It’s a tough road out of here.  

any chance they draft mhj at 2 and build around howell but take a qb in round 2 or 3?

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

any chance they draft mhj at 2 and build around howell but take a qb in round 2 or 3?

I could see a lot of things happening.  I doubt they go MHJ at #2, if they don’t take a QB I imagine it’s to trade down and acquire more picks.  

Since it will take a full cycle of the league for Peters to fully get his front office guys into place and weed through who is currently in the Commanders front office, I could easily see them electing to build the roster around QB for a year and then taking stock of the landscape next off-season and using their assets to go after a QB on the trade market.  I also could likely see another year with a high draft pick.  

It’s going to be a huge culture changing year for both the front office and the remaining players.  There are pros and cons to having a rookie QB this off-season to help lead through it, and pros and cons to bringing them in next off-season.  

Re: WAS I think there’s one factor that’s getting underrated - owner willingness to spend outside the cap.   DEN still has a lot of work left to do roster-wise to get back to sustained contention but one of the big draws for Sean Payton had to be the Wal-Mart group willingness to spend $.     Some of the non-cap ways owners make a diff: 

-New workout facilities 

-Brand new turf 2x in past 2 years 

-paying the $ not just for Payton but any guy he wants on his staff.   NO just lost their assistant college scouting director Cody Rager to Paton / Payton.   The $ likely sealed the deal.     

-Willingness to pay big bonus money that is required to hand in escrow.   

For WAS the Josh Harris group definitely fits that bill.    Add in the 1.2 pick, GM Adam Peters coming in and a ton of cap space, IMO WAS is pretty desirable.    As long as you think the FO is decent (and Peters imo was a great hire),  those things matter a lot more 3-4 years down the road, which for complete rebuilders is the real target timeframe.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Any news on what Dennard Wilson is up to today/this week? I know the Rams and Giants want him for their DC position, but if Mike MacDonald leaves for a head coaching position, I could easily see him either follow, or step up into the DC vacancy in Baltimore.