Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Like this probably more than any other coaching hire we've made so far.

Impossible to tell who is responsible for what, but I really liked our Secondary all things considered. I don't know why we wouldn't want to keep him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Impossible to tell who is responsible for what, but I really liked our Secondary all things considered. I don't know why we wouldn't want to keep him. 

I think he has a strong connection to our new DC (Whitt) from their time in GB.  Not sure why Oakland didn't block it.  Maybe he wants to hire someone he's got a closer connection to now that he's the official HC?

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

I am just not a big fan of hiring a retread coach, and I don't know what Quinn has changed since his failed HC days that would make him a better one this time around (maybe some Cowboys/Commanders fans can tell me).  

Well, for one, he's self-aware enough to look inward for what went wrong instead of constantly shifting the blame to others (*cough* Rivera *cough*).

So, when things did come apart in 2020 with the Atlanta Falcons, when the team lost its first five games, Quinn reached far and wide for input on what went wrong as well as some advice in case he got the rare second crack at leading a roster.

"There's some lessons that you want to take from there," Quinn said. "Because if you don't, then going through it wasn't worth it."

Not long after he was relieved of his duties as the Falcons' head coach, Quinn went on an information-gathering mission, talking to several players from 2013 to 2020 to learn more about what he could have done differently. Some tried to deliver softer blows at first, but Quinn wasn't interested in that. He didn't want any bias, nor did he care who said it. He wanted to hear it all, and the guidance he received during those conversations helped shape the coach that is prepared to lead the Washington Commanders.

Quinn didn't want to make the same mistake twice if he got another chance to be a head coach.

"By reaching out to people, I wanted to find out the good and the bad," Quinn said. "Were there any blind spots? ... I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to miss this moment if it came again. That's why I reach out and dug in as hard as I could."

The biggest thing he learned was that he was spreading himself too thin in Atlanta.

https://www.commanders.com/news/unbiased-honest-advice-helped-prepare-dan-quinn-to-be-commanders-head-coach

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

I am just not a big fan of hiring a retread coach, and I don't know what Quinn has changed since his failed HC days that would make him a better one this time around (maybe some Cowboys/Commanders fans can tell me).

Fans are always saying they don't want retread coaches. But Don Shula, Dic* Vermeil, Bill Belichick, Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy, Tom Coughlin, Pete Carroll, Gary Kubiak, Andy Reid, and Bruce Arians were all retreads who won Super Bowls after leaving their first head coaching jobs. That's 10 guys.

Wow, we need some AI built into the asterisk censoring.

Edited by Mr.UFO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Any teams still looking for a DC?

John Butler who mutually agreed to part ways with the Bills would be a good candidate at this stage 

Just Dallas and Seattle. Seahawks HC Mike Macdonald says he will call defensive plays, but he might give that job to the DC sometime during the season.

According to USAToday's NFL section, Panthers HC Dave Canales will be calling offensive plays.

12 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not as big a fan of this move:

Nah, that's probably a good thing. One of the two guys from the old regime I want to keep. I think he has a bright future.

12 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not as big a fan of this move:

it indicates that they want a bridge for Howell.  He, along with safeties coach Richard Rodgers, are the two coaches that I wanted to keep.  

Pritchard also wanted to be here.  That counts for a whole lot as well.  He’s a rising guy in the coaching ranks.  

51 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Nah, that's probably a good thing. One of the two guys from the old regime I want to keep. I think he has a bright future.

Yeah, I get that. But I was hoping for someone much more established. We need more than just “potential” with our QB coach - the person who will likely have the biggest impact on the development of our potential franchise QB in the next couple of years. 

This is especially true given I think it’s most likely we draft Maye at #2, and one of his biggest issues is footwork/mechanics, leading to spotty accuracy on his short and intermediate passes. That needs to be cleaned up and worked on throughout his entire rookie year by someone who knows what they’re doing. 

He also can panic and get sloppy with his mechanics with pressure in his face, which is a problem Howell still hasn’t overcome… so not sure what that says about Pritchard’s ability to coach it out of Maye. 

25 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

it indicates that they want a bridge for Howell.  He, along with safeties coach Richard Rodgers, are the two coaches that I wanted to keep.  

Pritchard also wanted to be here.  That counts for a whole lot as well.  He’s a rising guy in the coaching ranks.  

Yeah, I’m not exactly angry at the move. Just a little wary. The QB we select at #2 will make or break this team’s trajectory over the next several years at least. And his in-house development is crucial to his success. We can’t screw this up.