2023 TNF Week 9: Tennessee Titans @ Pittsburgh Steelers

notthatbluestuff

Who wins?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/03/2023 at 12:15 AM

46 minutes ago, Soko said:

I have to assume there are subsections of Steeler fans on this issue. You think most of you guys want to bottom out to move on and “start fresh”, or continue grinding on the Tomlin hill, hoping that some tweaks and wrinkles will be enough to get by?

The bolded has been the strategy for over a decade and has gotten us nowhere.   

Im not even necessarily opposed to keeping Tomlin....as long as we get good coordinators and not allow Tomlin to have much of a say in either side of the ball....and let the GM build the team.   

Tomlin should be there to motivate...but not much else. 

Unfortunately...Art II is a complete moron, so not much is likely to change.   I believe we are at the beginning of another dark 80s era of incessant mediocrity for the Steelers.    

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Levis over Young would’ve been radical. We weren’t talking about Stroud.

Fwiw I never suggested they take Levis over Young at #1, but there was real legitimate criticism for them to give up as much as they did to go from 9-1 to get Young.  Without the benefit of hindsight there is no guarantee Levis gets to 9, but in hindsight I think most competently run teams knew he would fall.  It doesn't even sound like the coaching staff wanted Young and they actually wanted Stroud which is mind blowing to me and shows the level of dysfunction within that organization, but I digress.  If you make that move you better be damn sure Young is going to be among the top QB's in the league.  It just has to be a gut punch to Carolina fans.

5 hours ago, Soko said:

You think most of you guys want to bottom out to move on and “start fresh”, or continue grinding on the Tomlin hill, hoping that some tweaks and wrinkles will be enough to get by?

I think this is poor fan perspective* as opposed to reality.

I know some other fans have this idea of "let's take a year off, tank, get a high draft pick and then we will be set up for the next decade", but that fails MUCH more often than it hits. If it worked, then CLE/DET/JAX/etc would have won SBs by now.

As someone who watched terrible football for YEARS before the Chiefs got competitive, I can 100% promise you -> 9-8 is exponentially better than 2-15. 

--------------

Please don't hear what I'm not saying - If the FO thinks Tomlin is the problem, they should def get someone better.

But I don't love the idea of "bottoming out" in order to do so. If you replace Tomlin, you should be doing damage in the playoffs the next year imo, because the reason for firing him is that he can't get you back over the hump.

edit- just to clarify not trying to suggest that was your perspective or that you were pushing this. You were clearly just asking the question lol

Edited by Soggust

11 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

We have 100 million dollars to spend next year. Don't have to trade the whole team to rebuild.

I'm sorry, WHAT? I did not know this lol

11 hours ago, -Hope- said:

henry maybe, but who else were we supposed to trade? hopkins is the only real candidate and you're doing levis's development a disservice if you leave him with a godawful OL *and* a godawful receiving corps, which is what we'd have without him. there's guys like tart and autry but they'd only net like, late round conditionals or something. the whole problem is there's no actual talent on the roster lol, we don't have a lot of pieces to give up.

Jeff Simmons for a 5th rounder at most ;) 

10 hours ago, 43M said:

The bolded has been the strategy for over a decade and has gotten us nowhere.   

Im not even necessarily opposed to keeping Tomlin....as long as we get good coordinators and not allow Tomlin to have much of a say in either side of the ball....and let the GM build the team.   

Tomlin should be there to motivate...but not much else. 

Unfortunately...Art II is a complete moron, so not much is likely to change.   I believe we are at the beginning of another dark 80s era of incessant mediocrity for the Steelers.    

It is actually crazy how similar the Ravens and Steelers are with how the fans talk about their head coaches when the team is middling. This exact same post was probably made by a million Ravens fans last year / 2 years ago when Greg Roman was here, and during the 2017-2018 years right before Lamar took over.

Reality is - you do need good coordinators, but do you trust Tomlin enough to actually make that happen? It seems like, from an outsiders perspective, the fans and media have been very vocal about Matt Canada, but Tomlin doesn't seem to be too concerned about replacing him, which to me if I was a Steelers fan would be the biggest indictment on Tomlin.

It's clear as day Pittsburgh has playmakers all over the place. Canada's offense, and to an extent Kenny Pickett himself, are severely holding that team back.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

I think this is poor fan perspective* as opposed to reality.

I know some other fans have this idea of "let's take a year off, tank, get a high draft pick and then we will be set up for the next decade", but that fails MUCH more often than it hits. If it worked, then CLE/DET/JAX/etc would have won SBs by now.

As someone who watched terrible football for YEARS before the Chiefs got competitive, I can 100% promise you -> 9-8 is exponentially better than 2-15. 

--------------

Please don't hear what I'm not saying - If the FO thinks Tomlin is the problem, they should def get someone better.

But I don't love the idea of "bottoming out" in order to do so. If you replace Tomlin, you should be doing damage in the playoffs the next year imo, because the reason for firing him is that he can't get you back over the hump.

edit- just to clarify not trying to suggest that was your perspective or that you were pushing this. You were clearly just asking the question lol

Yes, yes. I just wanted to hear what the fan base may be pushing for. There’s no doubt in my mind that Mike, FO, and ownership would rather be “in the mix” come December, even if they ultimately have no shot at a SB. 

That said! I’m having a great time with the 2-6 Patriots this year, lol. I’m rooting for the tank, but seeing them beat Buffalo (somehow) a couple weeks ago was more fun than most of the wins I could remember since Brady left. Sad, I know. Having this go on for multiple seasons though…yeah, then I’m with you.