Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

13 hours ago, Acgott said:

I won’t be excited and probably be disappointed, but I’ll understand the move. Just not happy about the #4 QB at #4.

I think JJ is my #3 QB. Caleb Williams is 1, Maye is 2, JJ is 3, Daniels is 4.

I'd still be excited if we got Daniels, but man, that pressure to sack ratio and weight really scares me.

37 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think JJ is my #3 QB. Caleb Williams is 1, Maye is 2, JJ is 3, Daniels is 4.

I'd still be excited if we got Daniels, but man, that pressure to sack ratio and weight really scares me.

JJ had such a big rise last month, it’s scary. The worst things Giants can do is panic and reach for a QB. A trade up is a big enough risk already.

20 minutes ago, Acgott said:

JJ had such a big rise last month, it’s scary. The worst things Giants can do is panic and reach for a QB. A trade up is a big enough risk already.

Professional scouts were in on him earlier than the media was. David Syvertsen (Ourlads, formerly Blesto I think) talked with John Schmelk in early March and said he loved JJ. 

17 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Professional scouts were in on him earlier than the media was. David Syvertsen (Ourlads, formerly Blesto I think) talked with John Schmelk in early March and said he loved JJ. 

Daniel Jeremiah was a scout for 10 years. His February draft board has him @ #27, behind Nix. Ourlads draft board from January didn’t have him in the top 25. Theirs a few weeks ago has him at #11. I’m not sure how the QB for the best team was overlooked for so long.

4 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Daniel Jeremiah was a scout for 10 years. His February draft board has him @ #27, behind Nix. Ourlads draft board from January didn’t have him in the top 25. Theirs a few weeks ago has him at #11. I’m not sure how the QB for the best team was overlooked for so long.

To be fair, it takes a lot more games watching JJ to get a good eval on him than it does for the other top QBs simply because he threw the ball less. You also can't use 2022 tape for JJ, because he was an entirely different QB a year ago (much worse).

13 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

To be fair, it takes a lot more games watching JJ to get a good eval on him than it does for the other top QBs simply because he threw the ball less. You also can't use 2022 tape for JJ, because he was an entirely different QB a year ago (much worse).

He played for the National Champ. The majority of his games this season were watched this season. There isn’t a good comparison to his draft board rise. Maybe Mac Jones?

13 minutes ago, Acgott said:

He played for the National Champ. The majority of his games this season were watched this season. There isn’t a good comparison to his draft board rise. Maybe Mac Jones?

Broadcast is different than all-22 film and charting throws. Every media evaluator I've heard talk about JJ all say the same thing: "the more I watched, the more I liked him".

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Broadcast is different than all-22 film and charting throws. Every media evaluator I've heard talk about JJ all say the same thing: "the more I watched, the more I liked him".

That is true. Still it is worrisome.

JJ was on one of the greatest teams in college history and he wasn't great.  Good yes but not great. Not worth drafting him at 6 overall.  I think if the Giants can trade back and get another 2nd and/or 3rd round picks and grab a corner and wrs, that would be ideal.  Corner position might be worse then wr

On 4/12/2024 at 12:03 PM, Cuziam71 said:

JJ was on one of the greatest teams in college history and he wasn't great.  Good yes but not great. Not worth drafting him at 6 overall.  I think if the Giants can trade back and get another 2nd and/or 3rd round picks and grab a corner and wrs, that would be ideal.  Corner position might be worse then wr

Where you looking to trade down to?

22 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

JJ is going to be a fine NFL QB. We'd be lucky to have him. I just don't want to trade up to get him but if we can stand pat at 6 and nab him we'd have secured our future QB for the next decade+. 

If you are sure he be our QB for the next decade, why shouldn’t we trade up for him?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Acgott said:

If you are sure he be our QB for the next decade, why shouldn’t we trade up for him?

Because as you yourself have pointed out numerous times we don't have much draft equity and alot of holes to fill especially on offense. 

A good QB on a rookie contract gives you such insane cap flexibility. If we hit on a QB this draft, next year, expect Schoen to push his chips to the center of the table. You go and throw big money at one of these big time WRs playing on the tag- Tee Higgins or Aiyuk. You start pushing major cap figures into future/void years.

We have a lot of holes to fill, but your options on how you can afford to fill them expand if you hit on a QB.

In other QB news, Adam Schefter basically said on a podcast that he expects Jayden Daniels to go 2nd overall. If that is true, we gotta hope New England doesn't like Maye enough to take him (although I cannot see how that would be the case) and is willing to trade back.

All indications from basically every Giants beat writer and any national writer, when asked about the Giants, is that they are trading up for a QB. I think we can pretty much expect that at this point.

1 Bears- Caleb Williams

2 Commanders- Jayden Daniels

*TRADE* 6 + 2025 1st for 3

3 Giants- Drake Maye

*TRADE* 11, 23, 2025 2nd for 4

4 Vikings- JJ McCarthy

*TRADE* 11, 27 for 5

5 Cardinals- Marvin Harrison Jr

6 Patriots- Malik Nabers

Believe it and it will happen.

(I think I've made 3 or 4 posts like this, but this is my final one).