Week 10: VIKINGS (5-4) vs. Saints (5-4)

swede700

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

I'm hopeful to start seeing Lewis Cine do some of these things too, but with Theo Jackson and Najee Thompson being ahead of him on the special teams depth, and Jackson on defense as well, the road will be tough for the young man.

I still have hope for him given his physical tools, but his ideal defensive role right now is being played by Harrison Smith and/or Josh Mettellus.

Sad state when we’re hoping for our former first round pick just to crack being a top 5 Safety “at some point”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Sad state when we’re hoping for our former first round pick just to crack being a top 5 Safety “at some point”

I mean idk if "sad" is the word I'd use to describe it. Sure, you don't want to waste 1st round draft capital, but if your UDFAs and late round picks are playing so well that they can't find snaps for him, that's a good problem to have. It's a sunk cost at this point and not worth dwelling on. Vikings have the best safety room in the NFL right now. That's not sad to me.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 5

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I would personally be very patient with him given the catastrophic nature of the injury, and in the past, with other defenses/defensive coordinators, I'd totally understand the thinking. I look at it much less like a first round pick isn't performing, but that others (Cam Bynum/Theo Jackson/Josh Mettellus) are playing well and have earned the trust of the coaching staff.  It allows Cine to come back slowly and to be built back up; it's fully on him now to work back into a rotation because the physical gifts are there.

• Like 3

Just now, JDBrocks said:

I mean idk if "sad" is the word I'd use to describe it. Sure, you don't want to waste 1st round draft capital, but if you're UDFAs and late round picks are playing so well that they can't find snaps for him, that's a good problem to have. It's a sunk cost at this point and not worth dwelling on. Vikings have the best safety room in the NFL right now. That's not sad to me.

That’s a fair point though the alternative of Cine playing well perhaps means they could have dumped Harrison Smith a year sooner saving some cap to put towards somewhere else. It’s a sunk cost but also a missed opportunity considering some of the issues on the team like DL, RB, CB.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

That’s a fair point though the alternative of Cine playing well perhaps means they could have dumped Harrison Smith a year sooner saving some cap to put towards somewhere else. 

Smith was needed for his veteran presence though, his leadership and calming ability.

look at the Packers - all youngsters pretty much, and no one knows what to do.

• Like 3

Just now, vike daddy said:

Smith was needed for his veteran presence though, his leadership and calming ability.

I’d put that on coaching. Flores is better than anything GB has. Smith was on a very young and putrid defense last year so his presence meant little in terms of getting players to perform. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d put that on coaching. Flores is better than anything GB has. Smith was on a very young and putrid defense last year so his presence meant little in terms of getting players to perform. 

yes, but to your point of coaching making the difference, our D coordinator last year was the reason for the putrid nature.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Their receiving corps (and ultimately their QB) has suffered immensely because of getting rid of Davante Adams. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

That's not a very accurate representation of what happened last year. The scheme didn't allow for him to do what he does best or get other guys into position. there were no disguises or adjustments. Him being a leader in the locker room with Pat Pete was about the only thing that he could have done. His knowledge of the game and ability have been hugely important for this team because it allows him to be the swiss army knife that has made him an all time great Viking.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

yes, but to your point of coaching making the difference, our D coordinator last year was the reason for the putrid nature.

Right so if coaching is so great and they can’t get anything out of Cine in year 3, that has to be concerning. Multiple other players, including players without the first round accolade have figured it out or at least out performing expectations.

Is Cine even on the roster at this point if he was a seventh rounder? 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Right so if coaching is so great and they can’t get anything out of Cine in year 3, that has to be concerning. Multiple other players, including players without the first round accolade have figured it out or at least out performing expectations.

I think you're perhaps de-emphasizing the fact that a bone was sticking out of the skin in his leg a couple games into his rookie season.

• Like 3

Anniversary was a success and woke up way to early to catch the game.

The first half was great, and the 2nd half would have been just as great without two great catches by Olave and Perry, and O'Neills unnecessary hold on the TD run.

I think its safe to say we are legit. There is a lot of football left to play, but even at 6-4, this team looks better this year than last year, and that's with a QB who has only been here for not even 2 weeks and no Justin Jefferson the last 5 games.

Let's keep it going. No looking back now. Skol!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't believe he would be on the roster at this point if he was a seventh rounder.

Edited by Cearbhall