Week 10: VIKINGS (5-4) vs. Saints (5-4)

swede700

Great win and another potential tie-breaker in favor of the Vikings. Would've liked to break the 30-point barrier for a 2nd game in a row but credit to the Saints D in the 2nd half.

Offense being able to ice the game with a drive on any of their final 3 drives would've been a nice cherry on top (all 3 drives were 3-and-out). Nice for the defense to step up when put in those situations!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Might have been early to give up on Ed. He's not stepping on feet and forcing fumbles anymore.

It's like rookies need time adjusting to the NFL!

He's played quite well, and the unit as a whole has been strong and gelled nicely.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Andrew Booth had some nice ST plays yesterday and 17 defensive snaps. He's had a long road with injuries, but it seems like it's starting to click.

Yes, it's beginning to appear that Booth has a good chance of, at least becoming a serviceable NFL CB, which is good news.  We're still hoping he'll become a regular starting CB for The Vikings.  And, if he could do THAT, and progress from there to become an above average starting CB, so much the better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m more surprised by Mundt. Oliver isn’t even a top 2 TE on this team, what a waste!

I hope you're kidding, right???  Much of our offensive schemes require using a tight end as an extra blocker.  Oliver fits that need to a tee, being the best (or one of the top few best), blocker in The NFL.  Plus, he has a good % of catches on passes targeted to him.  Mundt gets significantly less snaps, and so, every individual snap has more effect on his PFF grade.  He has a VERY high ratio of catches to his targets because on most of his passes he has been schemed wide open, because opponents think the pass is not going to go to him (because he is in so little).  When he's in and catches an important pass (which happens on a high proportion of his targets) it really makes his Grade rise very high.  Oliver, on the other hand, suffers from often having to block very highly graded defensive linemen (mostly edge rushers).  When comparing those two players, it would be much more telling to compare each in pass and run blocking, and route running and pass catching, each category separately.

I'd venture a guess that Oliver is a lot more important to this team than Mundt, given that the passing game is much more important, and I believe that Oliver is in on a significantly higher amount of pass blocking assignments than Mundt.

Edited by Robb_K

6 hours ago, Robb_K said:

I hope you're kidding, right???  Much of our offensive schemes require using a tight end as an extra blocker.  Oliver fits that need to a tee, being the best (or one of the top few best), blocker in The NFL.  Plus, he has a good % of catches on passes targeted to him.  Mundt gets significantly less snaps, and so, every individual snap has more effect on his PFF grade.  He has a VERY high ratio of catches to his targets because on most of his passes he has been schemed wide open, because opponents think the pass is not going to go to him (because he is in so little).  When he's in and catches an important pass (which happens on a high proportion of his targets) it really makes his Grade rise very high.  Oliver, on the other hand, suffers from often having to block very highly graded defensive linemen (mostly edge rushers).  When comparing those two players, it would be much more telling to compare each in pass and run blocking, and route running and pass catching, each category separately.

I'd venture a guess that Oliver is a lot more important to this team than Mundt, given that the passing game is much more important, and I believe that Oliver is in on a significantly higher amount of pass blocking assignments than Mundt.

You haven't been paying attention to the bit.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m more surprised by Mundt. Oliver isn’t even a top 2 TE on this team, what a waste!

Oliver has set this franchise back to the Les Steckel years!!! Truth be told, I think he's a Packer plant! His real name is Lambeau Lombardi and he was born in Wisconsin to cheese farming parents. He attended elementary school at Brett Favre Preparatory School in Green Bay. There, he played volleyball in the University of Southern Mississippi Memorial stadium (sponsored by the Mississippi Department of Health and Welfare). While he excelled in volleyball, his hatred of all things Minnesota festered and he switched to football. When he attended the Aaron Rodgers Football/Psychadelic Substances For Beginners Camp, Rodgers approached him about about infiltrating the Vikings during the 2023 season. He jumped at the chance to please his Packer overlord. Oliver was a quick study and realized that, not only could he infiltrate the Vikings and drag them down during games, but he could outmaneuver Kwesi in contract negotiations. His exorbitant contract would allow him to simultaneously drag down the team with his play AND prevent the team from signing players who could mitigate the damage he caused on the field. 

• Like 4