2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

Really dont understand the Angels spending over $40 million on Moore and Stevenson when you’ve drafted a metric crap ton of pitchers in recent seasons, and some of your prospects profile better as relievers.  Then again, I rarely understand anything the Angels do, so what do I know?  

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Snell and Bellinger are gonna end up signing one year deals with like the Dodgers and Astros aren’t they?

Whenever the holdouts go this late and Scott boras is your agent, he does nothing but cost you money. Look at the Jake Arrietta deal. The closer these guys get to spring training, the less money/years they'll get. Montgomery will be a 4 year deal, tops. 

13 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Snell and Bellinger are gonna end up signing one year deals with like the Dodgers and Astros aren’t they?

I think Bellinger still gets something like Correa's first deal with the Twins.  3/$105 with some opt outs.  He's only entering his age 28 season so he should still get a solid deal before his age 29 or age 30 season, provided he keeps producing.  Not sure anybody wants to sign him for only 1 year, as he has a QO attached to him.

Snell is in a tough spot though.  He would go back into FA as a 32 year old pitcher and wouldn't have the luxury of playing half his games at Petco in 2024.  I think he takes the best multiyear deal offered, unless it's just absolute dog crap.

12 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Hey remember how the rank and file reps broke with the union to sign the CBA last year to get a bit more FA money and make the league spend and sign low end vets again?

Woopsie. Turns out "FA doesn't exist anymore" is just forever now.

It looks really bad, but I will pessimistically reserve judgment until after next offseason.  This FA class wasn't good and the remaining guys are all Boras clients. 

11 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Whenever the holdouts go this late and Scott boras is your agent, he does nothing but cost you money. Look at the Jake Arrietta deal. The closer these guys get to spring training, the less money/years they'll get. Montgomery will be a 4 year deal, tops. 

Boras is not an ideal agent for the good, but not great class of free agents.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Are the Orioles actually going to spend $ now? The time to supplement this core with FA vets was yesterday.

I don’t think Rubenstein is going to wait long to approve money to get spent.  With the development pipeline that Mike Elias developed, even a payroll approaching what we spent at our last peak around $150 million should be enough, but hopefully they can get some more squeezed out of it.  

This explains why we didn’t really do much beyond swap Gibson’s contract for Kimbrel, and didn’t make any major trades.  You don’t make this kind of moves with a sale coming, 

On 1/24/2024 at 5:08 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Really dont understand the Angels spending over $40 million on Moore and Stevenson when you’ve drafted a metric crap ton of pitchers in recent seasons, and some of your prospects profile better as relievers.  Then again, I rarely understand anything the Angels do, so what do I know?  

Stop expecting logic from an Arte Moreno owned franchise.  I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Arte was spending just so the he can have an excuse to raise the price of beer at the Big A.

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don’t think Rubenstein is going to wait long to approve money to get spent.  With the development pipeline that Mike Elias developed, even a payroll approaching what we spent at our last peak around $150 million should be enough, but hopefully they can get some more squeezed out of it.  

This explains why we didn’t really do much beyond swap Gibson’s contract for Kimbrel, and didn’t make any major trades.  You don’t make this kind of moves with a sale coming, 

It just depends on the details behind the purchase agreement.  Some of those financials prevent teams from spending too much the first few years.  But yeah, otherwise there is no reason to not spend to supplement that good young core.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Uh what?

Deal was probably sitting on the table for a month.  All it took was a new owner who wasn’t cheap to greenlight it.  Yesterday, the Orioles had the best farm system in MLB.  Today, it has the best farm system and Corbin Burnes.  

• Like 1