2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Saw that Sevvy signed with the Mets. :( 

Thought that guy was going to be an absolute superstar. But the injury bug just won't stop biting.

He was so good for two seasons and then his shoulder fell off. Had everything you wanted from an ace. Was an absolute dog. Love Sevy and hope for nothing but the best for him

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

8 years/$80 million for Jackson Chourio.  Feel that the Orioles should offer that right now to Jackson Holliday. 

In 8 years, Holliday will be a dodger 

I'll never agree no matter how good a prospect is, extending them for a lot of money before a single big league AB

On 11/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

I'll never agree no matter how good a prospect is, extending them for a lot of money before a single big league AB

I mean, I also agree.  However, someone in a league I’m in broke it down, and if Leody Tavares was worth $18m with a 98 wRC+ and superior defense, then that’s not a high bar for Chourio to surpass to make the contract “worth it” for the Brewers.  Obviously they are hoping for a much higher ceiling.  But if they wait even a year, that cost might double.  

I just want the Orioles to extend some of the young core they have right now.  

29 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, I also agree.  However, someone in a league I’m in broke it down, and if Leody Tavares was worth $18m with a 98 wRC+ and superior defense, then that’s not a high bar for Chourio to surpass to make the contract “worth it” for the Brewers.  Obviously they are hoping for a much higher ceiling.  But if they wait even a year, that cost might double.  

I just want the Orioles to extend some of the young core they have right now.  

I just wish owners like Reinsdorf and the Orioles owners didn't exist. They're terrible for sports 

9 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I just wish owners like Reinsdorf and the Orioles owners didn't exist. They're terrible for sports 

Peter used to spend, they have the resources, or did.  Possibly the end of the MASN dispute with the Nationals has them pinching pennies.  I’d be more than happy with a league average payroll and our current infrastructure.  

On 11/30/2023 at 8:22 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

8 years/$80 million for Jackson Chourio.  Feel that the Orioles should offer that right now to Jackson Holliday. 

They absolutely should.  A gamble the smaller payroll teams should be making.  I love the deal for Milwaukee.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:31 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

The small markets just can't compete unless they try these gambles.  They can never afford superstars on their 2nd contracts so they have to get creative, and a little risky, to try and squeeze out a little more team control. 

On 12/2/2023 at 9:04 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

Did Ohtani get full on TJ or just internal brace surgery?

I believe it was the latter.

On 12/2/2023 at 3:41 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Padres wanting anything considerable for Soto is a joke. They have no leverage 

Yeah, I can't imagine they honestly think they are getting a haul for him.  They will have a high asking price before Ohtani signs, and then narrow in a bit more realistically once once of their suitors signs Ohtani.

• Like 1