2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Right now, the Cardinals rotation includes Miles Mikolas (35 years old), Lance Lynn (36 years old), Kyle Gibson (36 years old), and Steven Matz (32 years old).  You can't make this up.

They have the market cornered on mediocre starting pitchers, that much is for sure.  Don’t have space for a TORP if you’ve got those guys taking up spots.  

On 11/20/2023 at 8:44 AM, Leader said:

Probably not....but it begs the question....what's one player worth? 50M?
As his history clearly shows....it takes more than one guy to bring success.

Ohtani was the best hitter in baseball last year.  Judge just signed for $40 milIion per and was a year or two older than what Ohtani is.  I will take some off due to Judge playing defense and say that as a hitter only, Ohtani is probably in the $37 million area.  As solely a pitcher, he probably gets around $25 million per, even with the UCL injury.  So when healthy, he takes the place of two players that would cost around that $60 million AAV.  I also saw an article where someone from the Angels said Ohtani adds $100 million a year in revenue by himself (due to Japanese market and such).  He will certainly require a team to go over the luxury tax, but that revenue boost certainly eases that pain for the poor billionaire owners.

On 11/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, Leader said:

Does anybody post in here?

For some reason, FF hasn't let me post in like a week.  No idea what was going on.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

3 years, $75 million supposedly.  That feels about right, given Gray's recent injury history and age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Jon Heyman, Andy Martino, and the rest of the ilk of NY baseball media are clowns. Yankees being in on all of Shohei, Bellinger, Yamamoto, etc like Hal is willing to spend over the $260 million he ALREADY has on the books. Give me a break. I don't see it happening. 

Yeah, that's not happening.  I do think they end up with Bellinger though.

Severino's metrics speak well of him last year, nothing was down precipitously, his velo was consistent, his spin rate was consistent. But his break was down almost a full foot to two feet on his FB and Slider. That points to him developing a hitch that the Mets staff believes they can fix, remains to be seen if they can, but it's not a bad gamble fr a 5th guy with upside. The stuff is still there, but of course you also can't discount the fact that he hasn't been healthy in seven years.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan