2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

51 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The media, "If Ohtani had let us overanalyze and scrutinize his every move in free agency, imagine how much better it would have been for him!" LOL

Shohei Ohtani's secretive free agency is a missed opportunity for him and MLB - ESPN

Basically lmao. They want Ohtani to be a degenerate sellout like LeBron James, essentially. 

Edited by Mesa_Titan
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Even if you keep him, you easily won that trade 

Is he a free agent after next season?

Doesn’t matter really, but yeah I’m surprised Boston made that trade. Just to get the influx of outfielders they have coming to a spot? Verdugo has always been a pain in our *** so at the minimum I’ll take the win of not having to face him lol

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

When do the competitive balance picks get announced?

The full draft order, minus any picks gained/lost via free agents signing, was released yesterday.  Cards didn't get one again, as it should be.

Guardians have a serious horseshoe up their bums.  Got the #1 overall draft pick (moved up 8 spots) and also scored the third pick in Round A of the competetive balance.  Reds got really lucky as well. They got the #2 pick (moved up 12 spots!!!!!) but their comp balance pick is in Round B.

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The full draft order, minus any picks gained/lost via free agents signing, was released yesterday.  Cards didn't get one again, as it should be.

Guardians have a serious horseshoe up their bums.  Got the #1 overall draft pick (moved up 8 spots) and also scored the third pick in Round A of the competetive balance.  Reds got really lucky as well. They got the #2 pick (moved up 12 spots!!!!!) but their comp balance pick is in Round B.

Nice to see the Reds rewarded for trying.

2 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Basically lmao. They want Ohtani to be a degenerate sellout like LeBron James, essentially. 

"Degenerate?" You spend a little too much time on 4chan. Maybe you should change your avatar to a Roman Statue.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

10 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

"Degenerate?" You spend a little too much time on 4chan. Maybe you should change your avatar to a Roman Statue.

Don’t know what any of this means. But yes. Degenerate. You also have to add sellout or it doesn’t make sense. 😉

28 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Funny to see our fans fainting about guys like Drew Throrpe and Chase Hampton. How many of our pitching prospects need to flame out for people to learn?

Thorpe is really good.  He looks like a MOR starter for quite a few years.  6+ years of that carries a lot of value and is probably by himself an overpay for 1 year of Soto at $33 million, nevertheless the others that are rumored to be included in the package.  But it's the Yankees.  They can just pay full market price for a MOR starter in FA.  They only give an award for winning, not for winning the most efficiently.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I wasn't trying to imply that I thought the Cardinals deserved one.  I think the whole concept is a sham.  It's meant to reward "cheap" owners.  When you've got teams like the Rockies (Denver), Orioles (Baltimore), and Tigers (Detroit) collecting competitive balance picks for being a "small market" team.

50 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Thorpe is really good.  He looks like a MOR starter for quite a few years.  6+ years of that carries a lot of value and is probably by himself an overpay for 1 year of Soto at $33 million, nevertheless the others that are rumored to be included in the package.  But it's the Yankees.  They can just pay full market price for a MOR starter in FA.  They only give an award for winning, not for winning the most efficiently.  

I've seen so many of these kids pop-up and put up great stats at AA for us until they lose velocity, get injured, and/or suck. Chance Adams, Deivi Garcia, Hayden Wesneski, James Kaprelian, Ken Waldichuk, Banuelos, etc. I only give a crap about elite pitching prospects, otherwise we can just buy someone else's mid-rotation pieces.

Hell, even our guys who had legitimate ace stuff like Phil Hughes, Joba, and Sevy were al major disappointments because pitchers break and our org sucks at development at the major league level.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 1