UPDATED: 2024 Off-season Thread. Front Office/Coaching News, Free agents etc.

Trentwannabe

On 11/8/2023 at 10:50 AM, DER10N92 said:

I forgot where I seen but someone mentioned bringing Anthony Lynn back and I actually wouldn't be opposed to that. He didn't succeed as a HC in LA but was a good OC here and in LA before becoming a HC. He always had good running game and offensive line play.

HC: Bobby Slowik
OC: Anthony Lynn
DC: Robert Saleh 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 1:07 PM, Trentwannabe said:

I think regardless of what happens, Beane will be safe. His drafts in 2020 and 2021 weren't great but 2022 and 2023 have looked much better

Cook, Bernard, Shakir and Benford last year and Kincaid and Torrence so far this year (I think most of up have seen enough to want Dorian starting too).

Beane should get his shot to pick a HC if McDermott is gone

Beane and McDermott are tied together. They both go.. Beane did well at the start of his tenure but 2021, 2022 and the Kair Elam bust pick are biting us in the ***.

Overall his drafting hasn't been good enough, now let's touch on roster moves. What are the thoughts on Dawson Knox and Dion Dawkins extension that are on Beane.. Both guys haven't remotely lived up to the contracts. Dawkins hasn't been terrible but he's not worth top 10-15 OT money. He just isn't consistent enough.

How about the Wyatt Teller trade? We dealt Wyatt Teller and a 7th for a 5th and a 6th.. Since then Teller has blossomed into a AP Guard 

Jon Feliciano was monster for us. We let him walk cheap.

I'm struggling to even think of a recent signing that was a solid signing. DaQuan Jones maybe? Jordan Phillips? Von Miller hasn't lived up to his contract but I get the move. 

I wouldn't hate if Beane came back but it's hard to make an argument for him based off the recent struggle 

11 minutes ago, howru8888 said:

I’m curious where the franchise and fan base is with Josh Allen. Hypothetically the Bears end up with picks 1 & 5 in The draft. Those  2 picks + what would land Allen? Or is he completely untouchable still?

Untouchable.

To add to this:

besides the obvious that you don’t trade away a franchise QB, his dead cap in 2024 would be $99 million lol

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

HC Candidates off the top of my head:

Texans OC Bobby Slowik

Lions OC Ben Johnson 

Jim Harbaugh

Dolphins OC Frank Smith

Cowboys DC Dan Quinn

Eagles OC Brian Johnson

Lions DC Aaron Glenn

Rams DC Raheem Morris 

All defensive HC are off my list tbqh.

Ben Johnson, please and thank you.

45 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Offensive gurus flame out way more than defensive HC. 

Just get the right guy to lead the team and can build a staff. We don’t need another Mularkey sparking a long run of turnover.

Yeah if you use that example lol. In todays game it’s the opposite. DC’s don’t have a feel for the game nearly as much.

7 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Yeah if you use that example lol. In todays game it’s the opposite. DC’s don’t have a feel for the game nearly as much.

Come on man that’s a straw man argument. No one is questioning the DeMeco Ryan’s hire. If Saleh had a QB the Jets would be running the division. 

6 of the 9 longest tenured HC are special teams or have a defensive background.

Mularkey is just a Bills example of a guy being a “top OC to HC candidate” that flames out.

Adam Gase, Brian Daboll, Arthur Smith, Josh McDaniels, Freddie Kitchens, Anthony Lynn, Kliff Kingsbury, Frank Reich, Doug Pederson, Matt Nagy to name a few more recent.

Dont get it twisted. I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t go the OC route. But there always seems to be this misconception that it solves everything.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Come on man that’s a straw man argument. No one is questioning the DeMeco Ryan’s hire. If Saleh had a QB the Jets would be running the division. 

6 of the 9 longest tenured HC are special teams or have a defensive background.

Mularkey is just a Bills example of a guy being a “top OC to HC candidate” that flames out.

Adam Gase, Brian Daboll, Arthur Smith, Josh McDaniels, Freddie Kitchens, Anthony Lynn, Kliff Kingsbury, Frank Reich, Doug Pederson, Matt Nagy to name a few more recent.

Dont get it twisted. I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t go the OC route. But there always seems to be this misconception that it solves everything.

I don’t necessarily think it absolutely solves everything, but I think the success rate is a bit higher in today’s league and would be a better fit for where we are as a franchise.

Just throwing around ideas because work is slow and I have time to research coaching connections:

HC: Drew Petzing (calling plays)
OC: Andrew Janocko
DC: Mike Zimmer
ST: Mike Priefer

HC Ben Johnson (calling plays)
OC: Adam Gase 
DC: John Fox? 

HC Bobby Slowik (calling plays)
OC: Anthony Lynn 
DC: Robert Saleh 

HC: Brian Johnson 
OC: Kevin Patullo (calling plays)