Week 13: San Francisco 49ers at Philadelphia Eagles

J-ALL-DAY

46 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

They fell to #3 yesterday, after the Bears and us

Noted. 

They're still going to be a tough team to run on.

Jordan Davis is one of the best run defending DTs in the league.

Carter is very formidable for a rookie.

I worry whether or not Brendel & Feliciano/Burford can make some headway against those two for four quarters.

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Noted. 

They're still going to be a tough team to run on.

Jordan Davis is one of the best run defending DTs in the league.

Carter is very formidable for a rookie.

I worry whether or not Brendel & Feliciano/Burford can make some headway against those two for four quarters.

They are weaker on the edges so I expect a lot of outside zone runs and this is a match up that probably suits Mitchell best. He should be getting around 10 or so carries.

The Eagles pass rush is going to win and win fairly often so Purdy is going to have to get out of the pocket and use his legs to run for first downs or to buy time. He had a few close misses towards the sideline on Thursday but that's one way I see us creating big plays. The LBs can be taken advantage in coverage so CMC may not have a huge game running the ball but he should be able to do his fair share of damage in the passing game. 

Lenoir in the slot is going to have to make some big boy tackles on Swift and Hurts. This is why they like him in the slot so much but it's not going to be easy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They are weaker on the edges so I expect a lot of outside zone runs and this is a match up that probably suits Mitchell best. He should be getting around 10 or so carries.

The Eagles pass rush is going to win and win fairly often so Purdy is going to have to get out of the pocket and use his legs to run for first downs or to buy time. He had a few close misses towards the sideline on Thursday but that's one way I see us creating big plays. The LBs can be taken advantage in coverage so CMC may not have a huge game running the ball but he should be able to do his fair share of damage in the passing game. 

Lenoir in the slot is going to have to make some big boy tackles on Swift and Hurts. This is why they like him in the slot so much but it's not going to be easy. 

I think it's fair to say that if the Niners are to win this game it's gonna have to be on Brock's shoulders as the Eagles will neutralize the Niners run game. The only reason the Bills did well on the ground against the Eagles was b/c of Josh Allen being impossible to tackle. We need to Brock to run but also need him not to get knocked out of the game.

If the Niners front 4 can do to the Eagles offensive line like what the Chiefs front 4 did to them a couple of weeks ago then they can slow down the Eagles offense and keep it close. The key is to not let Hurts get outside the pocket as let him throw and hope he doesn't make too many big plays from the pocket.

1 hour ago, elevators_rule said:

I'd be shocked if the 9ers lost this game. Outsider perspective, but I think you guys are the Eagles kryptonite. Great defense, disciplined offense with tons of playmakers. I think 9ers win by 2+ possessions.

I think the Eagles make it a one possession game late in the game. 

I was looking at the stats of the Eagles playoff game from last year and we held them to 3.8 YPP. Hurts had a 4.8 YPA and the run game averaged 3.4 YPC. Now, some of that is due to the game being a multiple score game in the 2nd half so the Eagles were just running the ball and that hurt their rushing averages. But even the game got away, Hurts was held in check and couldn't get nothing going, especially down the field. 

6 hours ago, JIllg said:

Also, the 1989 49ers-Eagles game is actually a weirdly similar collection of players and matchup similarities. 

Purdy tossing 4 TDs in the 4th quarter to orchestrate an epic comeback sounds good to me. :)

Anyway, the unreliable napkin-math in my headspace tells me the 49ers win 27-17, and the weather won't be as bad as predicted. Hope it happens, but more than anything I hope there are no major injuries. Still a lot of season left for both SB-contending squads. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Forge said:

A quick note on special teams: Niners P Mitch Wishnowsky has been very good but he's facing a punt returner in Britain Covey, who has proved slippery. He's second in the NFL in yards/punt return (14.8). Eagles as a whole have been very good on special teams (4th in EPA on STs).

Yeah I don't like that.

I think this ends up looking like a typical Eagles game this season, Niners take the lead at the half and going into the 4th, then a little Hurts magic, the Eagles defense tightening up, and Shanahan being Shanahan in the 4th quarter brings them back. Purdy plays well, but isn't able to drive them down the field to win or at least take it to OT, so we get the usual suspects talking about how this proves he is really just an overrated system QB. 

Of course, the Niners have a tendency to completely prove me wrong and win by at least 3 scores(@PIT, @JAX, @SEA) whenever I pick them to lose, so make of that what you will

How many D linemen are active on gameday?  What would a formation with like every big player on the field look like?  If Philly uses all 11 guys for the Tush Push, we could bring in all 300Lb Dudes to get some weight to the counter push.

There has to be a way to stop it dammit.  Maybe we should call the All Blacks (NZ Rugby team) for advise.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1