Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

15 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

something that might help you - what sort of OC is VanPelt and what sort of QBs has he used or liked to use in his career so far? Is his philosophy indicative of one or the other (Jayden or Drake)? I honestly don’t know, but it could be a clue 

yeah those are typical considerations but with avp it is a little less clear in the sense that he has been adaptable to different schemes based on the player and has never been a true play caller

15 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

for example if he only likes to use classic pocket QBs and Maye goes 2nd, he could potentially consider the trade instead of drafting Daniels. Take a different QB in tier 2 or whatever

right but that is why when predicting with an early pick like this it seems like there are only so many options or realistic scenarios to @Nex_Gen’s point. it is trying to pinpoint what the teams ahead of the pats are doing that complicates it further.

at one point before fields was traded and after the commanders signed kliff kingsbury there was a possibility the bears might consider rolling with fields  and trading down so i thought caleb williams was in play for the commanders to trade up one spot or something. some have hyped up jayden danels and maye at points to be a consideration at 1overall.

now people talk about the vikings offering up heaven to jump up to the top 3, possibly ahead of the pats. do they want daniels, maye, or mccarthy? well josh mccown is on the vikings and coached maye in high school but apparently some thing oconnell like mccarthy more. no one knows anything for certain.

reporting on the pats has wolf wanting to trade down and history points to joe alt as a prototypical wolf-philosophy pick in that scenario. but that is speculated to be reporting from sources on behalf of wolf whereas other reports say the pats are staying at 3 and taking a qb because they like all the top guys. that reporting is speculated to be people involved with the krafts. so ultimately youd have to think the krafts will win out. wolf isnt even guaranteed a job here after the draft so reports about what he would do are sort of a safeguard measure if/when he gets a new job elsewhere should the team select a qb despite wolf’s preference to trade down.

all things considered, i think the pats stay at 3 and take jj mccarthy. if not then i think it will be daniels.

How much you guys think we would have to trade you in order to move up to 3? Would you even trade back to 11? Would New England consider trading at all?

I get the ongoing sense that the Vikings want to move into the top 3, probably 2 or 3, to get whoever it is they want. 

What type of deal would that be? What would it look like in your opinion? Don’t you guys need a QB just as bad as everyone else? 😆

Keep seeing Jefferson’s name floating around. Let’s keep it to draft compensation. I doubt there is a chance the former takes place. 

13 hours ago, Morlee said:

How much you guys think we would have to trade you in order to move up to 3? Would you even trade back to 11? Would New England consider trading at all?

I get the ongoing sense that the Vikings want to move into the top 3, probably 2 or 3, to get whoever it is they want. 

What type of deal would that be? What would it look like in your opinion? Don’t you guys need a QB just as bad as everyone else? 😆

Keep seeing Jefferson’s name floating around. Let’s keep it to draft compensation. I doubt there is a chance the former takes place. 

Yeah, we need a QB like our next breath of air. But there are reports that a move down is actually a favourable option. Not sure how far down though.

would probably cost you a lot. The 11 and 23 gets fair close to the value of 3 on the chart, but because we’re so QB needy it would probably cost something next year too, like a 2nd possibly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, we need a QB like our next breath of air. But there are reports that a move down is actually a favourable option. Not sure how far down though.

would probably cost you a lot. The 11 and 23 gets fair close to the value of 3 on the chart, but because we’re so QB needy it would probably cost something next year too, like a 2nd possibly 

If trade the two firsts this year and one next year if we really liked a QB 

Who do you think is making the decisions for draft at #3?  I dk if this is just the radio honks trying to drum up content but one of the underlying off-season themes has been whether or not it's really Elliot Wolfe or the Krafts that are making decisions.  It sounds like if it were up to Wolfe we'd trade #3, if the Krafts make final say then it's QB at #3 no matter who.  What do you guys think?

9 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Who do you think is making the decisions for draft at #3?  I dk if this is just the radio honks trying to drum up content but one of the underlying off-season themes has been whether or not it's really Elliot Wolfe or the Krafts that are making decisions.  It sounds like if it were up to Wolfe we'd trade #3, if the Krafts make final say then it's QB at #3 no matter who.  What do you guys think?

A combination of both. One probably wouldn’t go over the other’s head. They’ll also probably liaise with the coordinators and position coaches etc. joint effort to try and come to an agreement. 

Kraft’s may have final say but they’ll take advice and pointers from those who will actually work with and mould the players 

On 3/19/2024 at 2:12 AM, DoleINGout said:

yeah those are typical considerations but with avp it is a little less clear in the sense that he has been adaptable to different schemes based on the player and has never been a true play caller

right but that is why when predicting with an early pick like this it seems like there are only so many options or realistic scenarios to @Nex_Gen’s point. it is trying to pinpoint what the teams ahead of the pats are doing that complicates it further.

at one point before fields was traded and after the commanders signed kliff kingsbury there was a possibility the bears might consider rolling with fields  and trading down so i thought caleb williams was in play for the commanders to trade up one spot or something. some have hyped up jayden danels and maye at points to be a consideration at 1overall.

now people talk about the vikings offering up heaven to jump up to the top 3, possibly ahead of the pats. do they want daniels, maye, or mccarthy? well josh mccown is on the vikings and coached maye in high school but apparently some thing oconnell like mccarthy more. no one knows anything for certain.

reporting on the pats has wolf wanting to trade down and history points to joe alt as a prototypical wolf-philosophy pick in that scenario. but that is speculated to be reporting from sources on behalf of wolf whereas other reports say the pats are staying at 3 and taking a qb because they like all the top guys. that reporting is speculated to be people involved with the krafts. so ultimately youd have to think the krafts will win out. wolf isnt even guaranteed a job here after the draft so reports about what he would do are sort of a safeguard measure if/when he gets a new job elsewhere should the team select a qb despite wolf’s preference to trade down.

all things considered, i think the pats stay at 3 and take jj mccarthy. if not then i think it will be daniels.

I’d be surprised if JJ is drafted in the top 3

• Like 1

11 hours ago, prob2236 said:

radio honks trying to drum up content but one of the underlying off-season themes

I would say don't believe any Boston sports hacks. They are all full of crap. Breer, Curran, Perry, Bolin and Casper. I have watched for years and watched them make up " inside sources " stories that never come true.

But this year I have a little doubt.

Loud mouth Mayo are buddies with these guys. He needs them on his side, when he falls flat on his face.   FA signings IMO was a failure.   You sign your  4-13 players and this is supposed to be good ?  Bull crap. What fool in their right mind signs Reager, I don't care if it's bargain basement or the other excuses that they justify the signing,

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I would say don't believe any Boston sports hacks. They are all full of crap. Breer, Curran, Perry, Bolin and Casper. I have watched for years and watched them make up " inside sources " stories that never come true.

But this year I have a little doubt.

Loud mouth Mayo are buddies with these guys. He needs them on his side, when he falls flat on his face.   FA signings IMO was a failure.   You sign your  4-13 players and this is supposed to be good ?  Bull crap. What fool in their right mind signs Reager, I don't care if it's bargain basement or the other excuses that they justify the signing,

Sorry, so are you saying do or don't pay attention to those guys?  To your point about Mayo having history with all those guys.  Don't you think he'd be feeding them solid info, so that when things go bad he can deflect away from himself?

I don't give a ton of thought to most of them but sometimes I think Curran is pretty taped in.  When he says things like "Pat's should trade down, they're not ready for a QB."  I worry that that's being handed down to him from Kraft himself.

4 hours ago, prob2236 said:

"Pat's should trade down, they're not ready for a QB."  I worry that that's being handed down to him from Kraft himself.

i think more likely that would be from Elliott Wolf. Kraft’s i think want a QB.

8 hours ago, prob2236 said:

so are you saying do or don't pay attention to those guys?

No I listen but when they talk about draft and other stories using unnamed sources what that means to me ..they know crap. Kraft feed them only things they want out, sports guys are basically puppets.

8 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Don't you think he'd be feeding them solid info, so that when things go bad he can deflect away from himself?

I wouldn't put it that way. Mayo gives them things like BB dirt, how things were done, nothing that won't expose him in a negative light. When they turn on himm they will defend him or give him excuses.

Curran has already did that last week.  He said it just 72 hrs into FA, give them a chance, there's plenty of time til the season !!!!!  Funny every other team made moves but the Pats need the hole off season.  Another was Mayo comment spending money. Excuses and it was just  a off the cuff comment in the moment.

Anyone that not a homer knows this FA window was a major disappointment. It funny listen to some of the media calling it a success for signing their players, really.  They have to spend money by NFL rules and so far nothing, with  53 mil left. Pathetic.

1) Chicago - Caleb Williams QB
2) Washington - Jayden Daniels QB

3) Minnesota - Trade from New England Patriots
Drake Maye QB

4) Arizona - Marvin Harrison Jr. WR
5) L.A. Chargers - Malik Nabers WR
6) N.Y. Giants -Joe Alt OT
7) Tennessee - Olumuyiwa Fashanu OT
8 ) Atlanta - Terrion Arnold CB
9) Chicago - Dallas Turner EDGE
10) N.Y. Jets - Rome Odunze WR

11)   New England - Trade from Minnesota Vikings
JJ McCarthy QB

12) Denver - Jared Verse EDGE

23) New England - Trade from Minnesota Vikings
Cooper DeJean CB

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-three-round-mock-draft-patriots-trade-back-still-land-j-j-mccarthy-three-qbs-go-in-second-round/?fbclid=IwAR3y17zYD2wlixU7b4Yl_8OYvwWLVUgWbbU-qcBCTx7pO0N_kMNVrRihuFk

good mock for the Patriots?

• Like 1

At this point I want the trade down, unless it's Maye. If we could pick up 11, 23, and future first from Minnesota I'd be all over that. Add a tackle, and double dip at pass catcher. 

I may be in the minority, but I haven't hated their off-season. But I also haven't loved it, if that makes sense. IMO, they brought back the guys who should be back on fairly reasonable deals. Are we supposed to be upset that they retained what limited talent they have on the roster?

Sure, I would have liked them to do more on the offensive side of the ball in FA. They swung and missed at Ridley. Reality is, we're not an attractive landing spot at the moment, and the WR FA class was very weak. My primary gripe is why couldn't we have landed one of these cheap targets in the trade market, e.g. Johnson, or Keenan Allen. 

Also think it's inexcusable not to take a swing on Fields at that little of a price.

Maybe I'm being naïve, and have my blinders on, but I'm going to feel better if they spend majority of their draft picks on the offensive side of the ball. Reserving judgement until then.

• Like 1