18 game regular season

DigInBoys

On 3/7/2024 at 10:54 AM, TakeTheBallDeep said:

What about expanding the roster size? With the increasing cap, more games, in theory it would be good for more guys to have jobs...any downside?

Absolutely should do that. 63 man roster with 53 man game day rosters. Keep the practice squad around 10 men, too. Allow 100 man camp rosters. Top 61 rule instead of top 51 rule in the offseason.

• Like 2

A few years ago I came up with a format that would set up two positional (based on the previous year's standings) interconference games for each team based on a set rotation.

Read the post here to see what that will entail.

The 32 positional interconference games in this format can be used to showcase the NFL in cities that don't have their own NFL team - not only including international destinations but also many stadiums in American cities without their own team, in particular large stadiums used primarily for college football.

The NFL last regularly played games on a college campus in 2005. Having some of the neutral site games played on college campuses would be really nice.

Edited by pf9

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

Inevitability 

Wonder if they just keep it with the intra-conference and you play the team who finished the same as well as the opposite spot.  Like if you were playing the AFCW as an NFC team who finished top of their division you’d play the Chiefs and the Chargers. Just swap who gets the home seeds for the first one every year (AFC,  NFC)

Would work cleanest, until any expansion might screw it up.

16 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Inevitability 

Wonder if they just keep it with the intra-conference and you play the team who finished the same as well as the opposite spot.  Like if you were playing the AFCW as an NFC team who finished top of their division you’d play the Chiefs and the Chargers. Just swap who gets the home seeds for the first one every year (AFC,  NFC)

Would work cleanest, until any expansion might screw it up.

More likely they'll take the single team in a division (there's 3 of them currently) and just add an entire division. So it would be each team in same division(x2) and all teams in 3 other divisions.

On 4/28/2024 at 1:01 AM, DigInBoys said:

If I'm the players, I only sign off on 18 games on 4 conditions in order of importance:

1) 2 Bye weeks throughout the season

2) a 10% increase in all base salaries.

3) 63 man rosters and 53-man active gameday rosters with a 10 man practice squad for each team and 100-man camp rosters. Gives teams the ability to have more depth on the roster. Gives more players the ability to play pro football. This is a win-win.

4) Cut pre-season down to just 1 game. I know this sounds ludicrous to some, but make that game about depth guys earning roster spots. 

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

If I'm the players, I only sign off on 18 games on 4 conditions in order of importance:

1) 2 Bye weeks throughout the season

2) a 10% increase in all base salaries.

3) 63 man rosters and 53-man active gameday rosters with a 10 man practice squad for each team and 100-man camp rosters. Gives teams the ability to have more depth on the roster. Gives more players the ability to play pro football. This is a win-win.

4) Cut pre-season down to just 1 game. I know this sounds ludicrous to some, but make that game about depth guys earning roster spots. 

1) Possible and should happen.

2) They'll do what they did last time. 20% increase in minimum which will affect about 70% of the players at that time.

3) I don't see this happening.

4) It will be cut to 2 games.

50 minutes ago, Angleae said:

1) Possible and should happen.

2) They'll do what they did last time. 20% increase in minimum which will affect about 70% of the players at that time.

3) I don't see this happening.

4) It will be cut to 2 games.

Is that 70% accounting for the additional rostered players from condition 3?  Your wording makes it sound like it does, but I just wasn't sure.  I don't know if they'll get 20% plus an additional 320 roster spots.     

It's a bad idea just like 17 games was, so I can almost guarantee they will implement it at some point.

The best thing for the players was obviously to give them more practice time and less games. So of course the NFL has done the exact opposite of that, and made them play on Thursdays.

7 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Is that 70% accounting for the additional rostered players from condition 3?  Your wording makes it sound like it does, but I just wasn't sure.  I don't know if they'll get 20% plus an additional 320 roster spots.     

No. At the time this would go to the players, each roster would be 90. Most of those players earn minimum wage (or close to it)

• Like 1

All these people saying that the 2nd bye could mean having a bye before TNF really haven’t thought it through. That would NEVER fly with the players.

The whole idea of the bye is that you play a game Sunday, then you don’t even need to practice again for 10 days. You can take a vacation if you like, you can go home and relax, you can go out and drink 20 beers. Whatever.

TNF means you also get a mini bye where you play Thursday night and get 5 days off before your next practice.

Putting TNF after a bye means you replace a full bye and a mini-bye with just two mini-byes. There would be an absolute revolt from the players if that ever happened. It never should and never will.