2024 Mock Draft Sims

kingseanjohn

I finally have some time and motivation for another draft of scouting...

25. Adonai Mitchell, WR Texas - I like what I saw but I also have some concerns. His average game is ~3 catches for ~<60 yards. His most notable game, to me at least, is vs Alabama where he went 3 catches for 78yds and 2 TDs. His big number catches/yards games were all against other Big 12 teams. I would think he should've had big numbers against smaller schools like Rice, BYU, Wyoming, etc; but he didn't. Mitchell is someone that I'd definitely dig into if I had the time because I think he's got the tools to work with. But I just hate not seeing the stats on a weekly basis. However, that could also just be how the Texas offense works. -- He was the 6th WR taken.

57. Roman WIlson, WR Michigan - First thing I noticed was that he never quit. If the play broke down he kept moving and got himself open for the QB. His routes looked good, he catches with his hands, made good adjustments, and he just played like a good Andy Reid receiver. Early ranking I'd put him 2nd-3rd round range. -- He was the 12th WR taken. I didn't intend to go back to back WR but the board was bad for our needs. Plus it gave me an excuse to look at another WR.

89. Ty'Ron Harper, LB Missouri - As previously mentioned, Gay and Tranquil are FA. Harper looks the part of a coverage LB that could take Gay's reps. Bolton is best left to do Bolton things while Chenal is best attacking the LOS. I'd be interested in seeing more tape but I'd give an early ranking of mid 3rd to early 5th round.

121. Luke Lachey, TE Iowa - He looked better in tape than his stats would indicate. I didn't watch any Iowa so I'm not sure if they just didn't feature him at all or what. He and Gray could make a good TE1-2 in the near future. I'd give him an early grade of 2nd to 3rd round.

154. Carson Steele, RB UCLA - Let's get our own Tim Riggins! I think our run game has missed a FB at times and we haven't been using Gray in that role like some thought we would. Steele could fill that role while also carrying the ball effectively, even if he won't be making many long runs. He's also a threat to catch out of the backfield. I think he'd excel on ST as well.

217. Darian Chestnut, CB LSU- He had a down year at LSU after transferring from Syracuse. I don't know why and I probably won't dig into it. I liked what I saw though. He had good coverage and read plays fairly well. I don't think he'd replace Sneed but he'd definitely get playing time.

Overall, I don't hate or love the results but I'd be content with them. I was hoping to get OL and DL at some point but the board just never fell in a good way.

I am not totally against Mitchell at that point but seems a touch high. I would hope for better.
Taking a second WR is a clear mistake IMO.
Harper makes some sense if both Gay and Tranquil walk but also a touch early.
In contrast, Lachey will be long gone. He may not make it to #89.

Where is the DT to take Chris Jones place down the road? Where is the TE? Where is the RT?

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I am not totally against Mitchell at that point but seems a touch high. I would hope for better.
Taking a second WR is a clear mistake IMO.
Harper makes some sense if both Gay and Tranquil walk but also a touch early.
In contrast, Lachey will be long gone. He may not make it to #89.

Where is the DT to take Chris Jones place down the road? Where is the TE? Where is the RT?

Why is taking a second WR a clear mistake?

I said I wanted to take DL and OL but the board never fell for it.

Where is the TE? Lachey is a TE...

Also, we have Taylor for at at least 1-2 more years due to his contract.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Why is taking a second WR a clear mistake?

We already have Rice.

A project on day #3 would be different. Second-round picks are expected to contribute right away. 

I said I wanted to take DL and OL but the board never fell for it.

I am seeing a lot of that.

It looks like a lot of OL talent this year. We should see it reflected in the lists soon.

Where is the TE? Lachey is a TE...

Where was he when you took the second WR?

Also, we have Taylor for at at least 1-2 more years due to his contract.

One year is fine. Having someone pushing will be useful. 

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

touch high

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

touch early

No offense but this is what always kills the vibe of wanting to post Mocks in this yearly thread, at least for me. Man we're still in December, there's workouts/combine player stock is very fluid and you're already thumping his mock like you know where all the chips are landing.

I could see like Caleb or Bowers or someone you KNOW is going top 5ish being picked bottom of 1 but I'd really like to peak through some mocks once and a while without the whole thing being one big, "why take him there he's 3 picks too high" stuff every reply. 

Imo this is a great way to learn about some players and if they'd fit our team etc etc, I don't really care it you think it's a "touch high" while still in December.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Chiefs_5627
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 12:03 PM, onejayhawk said:

I think that we already have our LT. Wanya Morris is coming along nicely. RT I can see but that is a round later position. 

I am not jumping on the WR bandwagon. Rice is locking down one side and we can look for a FA bargain who wants to play with Mahomes. Watson is a solid WR3 and Justyn Ross may have something if he can stay out of trouble. 

The big issue is that Travis Kelce is showing his age. I expect him to go for one more ring but the rest of his life is sorting itself for after football.

Remember, your evaluations aren’t automatically right or wrong.  I think sometimes your wording comes off that way.  But this year I agree with you, KIND OF.

i think we should take a TE at some point, but I think we’ll try to re-sign Gray, as I Think he’s the heir apparent to Kelce. Would I hate an early round pick at the position, I guess not if it’s someone dynamic, but I haven’t done as much research yet so I don’t have backed as of yet.

There, now that the weirdness of us agreeing is over, I think we’re absolutely need another WR. Ross has proven he can’t stay healthy and while he has world of potential, it hasn’t come together yet.  Rice looks good but drops the ball WAY too much. Watson is a guy, but he isn’t HIM. If our pick rolls around and there’s a dynamic playmaker, preferably one that catches EVERYTHING, I’m all for it, regardless of round.

In terms of tackle I have pretty much the same attitude as WR, Morris has had moments, but of the three main guys to take starter reps, none have really impressed me.  Taylor and Smith are horrible, and I’m ready to call Taylor the worst move that Veach has made.  I had hope that in the right side he’d continue to grow, but he’s looked slow, committed a ton of penalties, and proven that any idea of him on the left was clearly a pipe dream. Smith well, see all comments besides him playing in the left side…

To me this offseason will come down to how and where we can create cap space and where we choose to use it.  Unless Jones has a change of heart I see him as a tag and trade.  Net gain there should be a 1st rd and or players/picks. Problem there is it ties up so much money that there’s a real possibility we don’t make the move to tag him. MVS will save us 11m because I can’t legitimately imagine anyway we’d want to keep him even on a reduced deal.  For one route and multiple drops Ross is much cheaper.

• Like 1

Stealing one here. The full 32-team draft by Ozzy is posted in the draft forum. 

31) Kingsley Suamataia BYU RS SOPH OT   
63) Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint Georgia SR WR  
94) Tanner McLachlan Arizona RS SR TE  
126) Isaiah Adams Illinois SR OG 
155) (via Dallas) Dwight McGlothern Arkansas SR CB
190) Kansas City Chiefs:  Devin Leary Kentucky RS SR QB

Don’t really speak on rankings until the declare deadline is passed, but here’s some guys I like.

25.Brian Thomas Jr.WR LSU

57.T'Vondre SweatDT Texas

89.Devontez WalkerWR North Carolina

121.Theo JohnsonTE Penn State

158.DeWayne CarterDT Duke

217.Sione VakiS Utah

Although I don't necessarily agree with the rankings, a nice summation of the top 10 wide receivers in the 2024 NFL draft.

1. Marvin Harrison Jr. , Ohio State, 6'4" 205lbs

Fullscreen button

Goodyear Cotton Bowl - Missouri v Ohio State | Sam Hodde/GettyImages
Goodyear Cotton Bowl - Missouri v Ohio State | Sam Hodde/GettyImages© Sam Hodde/GettyImages

Our top prospect in the 2024 draft, there's not much Marvin Harrison Jr. can't do. Mahomes to Marv is a dream that Chiefs fans can imagine sadly. While he certainly deserves all of the recognition we can give him the path to him in red and gold is basically impossible without forfeiting years of draft capital.

2. Malik Nabers, LSU, 6'0" 200lbs

Fullscreen button

SEC Championship - LSU v Georgia | Kevin C. Cox/GettyImages
SEC Championship - LSU v Georgia | Kevin C. Cox/GettyImages© Kevin C. Cox/GettyImages

If it wasn't for Marvin Harrison being a once-in-a-decade wide receiver prospect Malik Nabers would be getting even more buzz. Explosive is the best way to describe his game with over 1,500 yards this season and being in the 74th percentile of separation, Nabers wins and wins fast. See shades of Ja'Marr Chase with Nabers.

3. Rome Odunze, Washington, 6'3" 215lbs

Fullscreen button

Allstate Sugar Bowl - Texas v Washington | Sean Gardner/GettyImages
Allstate Sugar Bowl - Texas v Washington | Sean Gardner/GettyImages© Sean Gardner/GettyImages

Odunze's speed at his size is rare, while his ball tracking skills and ability to win at the catch point make him a premium talent. He ranks in the 96th percentile for contested catches via PFF. Odunze would be a terrific top option in Kansas City and would be a great compliment to Rashee Rice and Travis Kelce.

4. Brian Thomas Jr. LSU, 6'4" 205lbs

Fullscreen button

ReliaQuest Bowl - Wisconsin v LSU | Mike Ehrmann/GettyImages
ReliaQuest Bowl - Wisconsin v LSU | Mike Ehrmann/GettyImages© Mike Ehrmann/GettyImages

Brian Thomas is coming off his best season where he took a huge step forward as a pass catcher. Thomas' frame makes him able to line up anywhere on the field and has the speed and quickness to win in many ways. Averaging over 18 yards a catch, nobody was able to cover Thomas 1-on-1. LSU has a well-documented track record of producing NFL-caliber wide receivers and Thomas

5. Troy Franklin, Oregon, 6'3" 187lbs

Fullscreen button

2023 Pac-12 Championship - Oregon v Washington | Ric Tapia/GettyImages
2023 Pac-12 Championship - Oregon v Washington | Ric Tapia/GettyImages© Ric Tapia/GettyImages

Franklin's big season has helped propel him into first-round conversations. Despite his slender build, he plays much bigger than his build hauling in 7 contested catches. Franklin lined up on the outside almost exclusively and dominated with speed. Franklin has a chance to be one of the fastest players in the draft this year. He fits the mold of a classic Andy Reid receiver and is more than just a field stretcher.

6. Devontze Walker, North Carolina, 6'2" 200lbs

Fullscreen button

Miami v North Carolina | Grant Halverson/GettyImages
Miami v North Carolina | Grant Halverson/GettyImages© Grant Halverson/GettyImages

After having some transfer issues "Tez" only got 8 games with Drake Maye and still posted 699 yards and 7TDs. His time at Kent State might actually be what helps get him drafted high though. He is an elite athlete who runs crisp routes, fears no defenders over the middle of the field, and has long speed to stretch the field. In 2022, in a game against the dominant National Champion Georgia Bulldogs, he looked like the best player on the field.

7. Emeka Egbuka, Ohio State, 6'1" 205lbs

Fullscreen button

Ohio State v Michigan | Aaron J. Thornton/GettyImages
Ohio State v Michigan | Aaron J. Thornton/GettyImages© Aaron J. Thornton/GettyImages

Another cog in the Ohio State wide receiver machine, Egbuka has been a consistent part of one of the best pass-catching corps in college football. His slender build could limit him to the slot at the NFL level but his football IQ and route running make him a high-floor option. His athletic limits might drop him into the 2nd round but he's a high floor player that any offense can use.

8. Ladd McConkey, Georgia, 6'0" 185lbs

Fullscreen button

Capital One Orange Bowl - Georgia v Florida State | Brandon Sloter/GettyImages
Capital One Orange Bowl - Georgia v Florida State | Brandon Sloter/GettyImages© Brandon Sloter/GettyImages

Nothing about McConkey's frame or testing is going to scream game-changing receiver but it's hard to deny the tape. McConkey is simply always open and has been productive year after year in an offense with numerous weapons. He's dynamic enough after the catch and has been a master of explosive plays of 15 yards or more. While he's not going to be a contested catch or outside ball winner he's going to be a quarterback's best friend.

9. Adonai Mitchell, Texas, 6'4" 196lbs

Fullscreen button

Allstate Sugar Bowl - Texas v Washington | Jonathan Bachman/GettyImages
Allstate Sugar Bowl - Texas v Washington | Jonathan Bachman/GettyImages© Jonathan Bachman/GettyImages

Mitchell has smooth and fluid movement despite his larger frame. He has been a red zone machine with 10 touchdowns including one in the college football playoff. With a heap of talent, Mitchell could be a riser in this draft depending on his draft process. His inconsistencies play to play and route to route make him a bit frustrating to watch. Still a great talent.

10. Keon Coleman, Florida State, 6'4" 215lbs

Fullscreen button

Florida State v Florida | James Gilbert/GettyImages
Florida State v Florida | James Gilbert/GettyImages© James Gilbert/GettyImages

Surprisingly, Coleman rounds out our top 10. His highlight reels make him a top-10 pick. His athleticism, strength at the catch point, and straight-line speed are all elite. However, his lack of separation is concerning, his separation percentiles are among the lowest of any player in our top 10. It feels like Coleman has relied on being bigger/stronger than defenders rather than polished route running and releases. Coleman has potential but he's more of a project.

This article was originally published on arrowheadaddict.com as 2024 NFL Draft: Ranking top 10 wide receiver fits for Kansas City

Spanx Women's Airessentials Half Zip Top In White

• 1 month later...

First 3 rounds. Board chosen = PFN

1, 31) Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia; replace Juwan Taylor at RT He's a travesty in our OL.

2, 63) McKInnley Jackson, DT, Texas A&M; Golly, are we really goind to let Chris Jones walk?

3, 94) Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan; Obvious need.

Didn’t really put much thought.  Just some guys I like.

• KC
    Troy Franklin
    WR Oregon

• KC
    Ja'Tavion Sanders
    TE Texas

• KC
    Braden Fiske
    DT Florida State

• KC
    DeWayne Carter
    DT Duke