2024 Bears Strategy

JibjeResearch

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I wonder if it would have been cheaper had they done it sooner.  Maybe not. 

Good for Jaylon.  

I’ll own this - I had him pegged at a $8-10M value going into this season with a Prince Amukamara comp (really solid cover guy with no ball skills). He is going to double that. He was solid pre-2023 but he was awesome this year. He found some hands and his cover ability was arguably the best in the entire league. He should be 1st team all pro. Good for him! 

36 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Something I'm not sure we've considered:  If Eberflus is back which seems likely, what do you think of the possibility that he might want a vet QB?  I don't think there's anything to indicate current staff can develop a QB so what about trading for a competent one, so he can focus on building up the defense?  

I would ******* hate it, and it would probably be another Daltony year of treading water, but it's at least a possibility and would be a Bearsy thing to do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ll own this - I had him pegged at a $8-10M value going into this season with a Prince Amukamara comp (really solid cover guy with no ball skills). He is going to double that. He was solid pre-2023 but he was awesome this year. He found some hands and his cover ability was arguably the best in the entire league. He should be 1st team all pro. Good for him! 

I always said we should resign him.  My reservations on him weren't lack of turnovers, good coverage still has great value, it was his shoulder issues and longevity.

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I always said we should resign him.  My reservations on him weren't lack of turnovers, good coverage still has great value, it was his shoulder issues and longevity.

Same. I extended him in my mock for I think $17mil AAV. IDK if that will get it done now.

On 1/7/2024 at 7:54 PM, JibjeResearch said:

Nothing has changed for me.  I'm holding on to JF1.

I don't like the Flus's defense.  I don't like the Getsy's offense.  I understand the Bears need more talents.  Warren/Poles will have a tough decision.

I'm going with Jim Harbaugh because he has better leadership than Flus and Getsy!  Jim will bring the energy, efficiency, and effectiveness to the team.  Leadership = energy + efficiency + effectiveness in all aspect of the game.

Regardless of coaching, the Bears need to upgrade the OC and OG, another WR1, and the DE, sign/tag Johnson and upgrade E-Jack.

So the Bears have to get those 6 things in Free agency and the draft in whatever combination.

Trading the 1stOverall pick helps fill those needs quickly and strengthen the Bears team for the future.

I'm looking forward to see what Warren/Poles will do.  The future is very interesting and positive.

The Bears keep Flus.  I get it.

Now, go get an Offensive Coordinator who believes in JF1!

Running around so mostly listening to some very dreary podcasts on what's going on.

Press conferences: I would tend towards believing the opposite of whatever they say most loudly.  Looking at Chicago heavily for the stadium? That reads as "you better work with us, Arlington!"  "Justin showed growth and we love what he brings to the room"  = best offer, I know what I have, may trade for vintage jeep. 

They're also trying to sell both stability and the stadium as making it attractive for staff and players. That's legitimately hilarious.  When the only reason you can give for your coach still being here, is that he's still here it sounds pretty desperate.  And is that the same stadium they bought land for but don't know where or when they're going to build it?  If you're a free agent looking at destinations, would you be down to sign a 4 year contract for a stadium that's going to be more distraction than destination for like 8 years?  And I don't know about you guys, but saying your culture is good at staying the course after losing... woof.  We keep showing up no matter how things go is  a standard you have for your kids in sports, not for people you're paying to win.  

As for the plans going forward:  if you see as many pitfalls as I do for the course they've chosen... and keep in mind I really hate this... but... hear me out... what about rolling with Bagent?  Trade Fields, get the picks, trade the first pick, get a haul, get some offensive pieces and/or pass rushers while investing heavily in having options for the new staff in 2025 and just kinda punting on 2024?  That would be way more attractive to a potential new staff than inheriting either Fields on a 5th year option/Jones contract or a rookie QB coming off a scary season.  Feel free to make fun of me in 2025 if their plan works out, but I wouldn't be shocked if hindsight makes the Bagent puntathon sound better than what goes down. 

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

As for the plans going forward:  if you see as many pitfalls as I do for the course they've chosen... and keep in mind I really hate this... but... hear me out... what about rolling with Bagent?  Trade Fields, get the picks, trade the first pick, get a haul, get some offensive pieces and/or pass rushers while investing heavily in having options for the new staff in 2025 and just kinda punting on 2024?  That would be way more attractive to a potential new staff than inheriting either Fields on a 5th year option/Jones contract or a rookie QB coming off a scary season.  Feel free to make fun of me in 2025 if their plan works out, but I wouldn't be shocked if hindsight makes the Bagent puntathon sound better than what goes down. 

Once they signed Edmunds, Edwards, took Moore on, etc I kind of feel like the tank would be unacceptable now. 2022 was what it was, the Bears got 1.1. But this year they were 3 ridiculous collapses away from a winning season (technically 2 of the 3 would have done it, 3 would have seen them make the playoffs). It seems like a waste to just throw that down for another year, if so why bother even firing Getsy? He gives you a better chance to tank than most.

Bagent I think has NFL talent. Not starter talent but I do fully believe he can Chase Daniel himself into a well paid career as a back up. Hell he has thrown half as many passes as Chase already. But rolling into the 2024 season with Bagent as QB1 is the same disservice to the rest of the team as rolling out Patrick or Ngakoue in 2024 as an uncontested starter.

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Once they signed Edmunds, Edwards, took Moore on, etc I kind of feel like the tank would be unacceptable now. 2022 was what it was, the Bears got 1.1. But this year they were 3 ridiculous collapses away from a winning season (technically 2 of the 3 would have done it, 3 would have seen them make the playoffs). It seems like a waste to just throw that down for another year, if so why bother even firing Getsy? He gives you a better chance to tank than most.

Bagent I think has NFL talent. Not starter talent but I do fully believe he can Chase Daniel himself into a well paid career as a back up. Hell he has thrown half as many passes as Chase already. But rolling into the 2024 season with Bagent as QB1 is the same disservice to the rest of the team as rolling out Patrick or Ngakoue in 2024 as an uncontested starter.

I agree, I think they have zero chance of doing a Bagent offense for this year,  Eberflus needs to win and soon and I don't think anyone is going to count on Bagent to do much there.  And I agree on the possibilities of this season and would say that better coaching decisions in game probably gets you 2 or 3 of those lost games and things are different.   My jokey-but-not-really scenario is that I think they have picked such a risky and difficult path by keeping Eberflus and expecting things to work better, that in 2025, if you're looking back on the Bears season, I think it willl in hindsight be preferable to imagine a season where they spent zero on a QB, acquired more picks and wasted as little resources as possible in a wasted season, compared to whatever they do instead, which I think is either going to be a rookie QB with poor results and loads of questions about how whether you have to keep the staff again, or Fields being definitively not a starter and starting over without the luxury of a first overall pick and a new staff going forward in 2025.   Again, don't think this happens, but the really difficult job they've given themselves here makes me think the next season will go poorly, and in retrospect it would have been better do make as few moves as possible and just ride out another Eberflus year before starting over in 2025. 

• Like 1

Bagent needs to get his arms stronger.

On offense, the Bears only need a G, C, and another WR1.  It helps to have more depth.  We lost 3 games which should have won.  So we are not that far away with or without a new OC; however, moving away from Getsy is a good thing if the new OC can highlight JF1's skill set with the play design. 

The Bears started winning after the defense came together.  This should continue next year with Flus.

2024 is a win now year.

Poles will bring new players to win now.

Bagent was Getsy’s guy. He wanted him after coaching him at the Senior Bowl last year. I’m not convinced that he’ll be back at all in 2024.

Think about it - if we take a QB at 1-1 we will almost certainly want an established veteran at QB2 to help transition the rookie into the NFL weekly routine, and that guy is often times a guy who’s been in the OC’s system before. If we roll with Fields then a vet with familiarity with the offense would likely be tasked to help him get up to speed with the language and nuances of the scheme faster. Bagent won’t be that guy in either scenario, and I doubt we’ll carry 3 QBs on the 53. Would he stick around as a PS guy elevated only for game days behind a 1st overall pick? I doubt it, and that seems the more likely scenario of the two options at this point. 

• Like 1

I DON'T THINK BAGENT WILL BE THE QB, I DON'T EVEN LIKE BAGENT

I'm just planting a flag, that I think the Bears have set themselves on a risky path that likely ends in failure, and when we look back I'm just saying it would have been better to punt completely on the season and sell off both the pick and the QB and just exist for a year while they wait for a new staff.   It's both a joke and an expression of my pessimism in expecting success from this coach, as well as the difficulties they've created in needing nearly an entire coaching staff while keeping a coach who should/might be on the hot seat.  On top of that, you have a GM tying his own career to a coach that most fans and media seem to expect very little from. On top of THAT the Bears have put a gun to their own heads on QB. It's a pretty unique situation, and if anything has ever deserved to verbify "Bearsing" this might be it.  It's unexpected,  possibly dollar related,  hamstrings themselves for minimal benefit... I can't think of a parallel. 

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW
I really hope I'm wrong but...

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Bagent was Getsy’s guy. He wanted him after coaching him at the Senior Bowl last year. I’m not convinced that he’ll be back at all in 2024.

Agreed with this. I was very curious to see more of Bagent after his preseason performances, but his arm talent is basically down near where Brady or Peyton's was right before they retired. It's a pretty massive handicap, and it makes him pretty expendable. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Agreed with this. I was very curious to see more of Bagent after his preseason performances, but his arm talent is basically down near where Brady or Peyton's was right before they retired. It's a pretty massive handicap, and it makes him pretty expendable. 

Yeah, if we go with a young backup I’d rather it be one with more upside.