McLaurin growing frustrated with role

ARTMONK HOF

Michael David Smith

Commanders wide receiver Terry McLaurin did not have a catch in Sunday’s loss to the Dolphins, and he’s growing frustrated with his role in the offense.

After playing 45 snaps on Sunday but never getting the ball, McLaurin said, “I ran a lot of cardio,” and added, “Yeah, it’s frustrating.”

Commanders head coach Ron Rivera said he and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy have both talked to McLaurin about his frustrations.

“I’ve talked with Terry before, and we’ve talked about those things, and I know he’s talked to Eric, and he’s gone in, and he and EB have good conversations from what I understand,” Rivera said, via USA Today. “That’s then to me that’s the way you handle it is you go in and you talk directly. I think that’s big of what he’s been doing. It’s been big of him to come in and fight the frustration and talk about it if that’s what needs to be.”

McLaurin is having his worst season across the board: He’s averaging a career-low 11.6 yards per catch, a career-low 6.9 yards per target, a career-low 53.4 yards per game and a career-low 48 percent success rate on his catches. It’s easy to see why he’s frustrated.

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Michael David Smith

Commanders wide receiver Terry McLaurin did not have a catch in Sunday’s loss to the Dolphins, and he’s growing frustrated with his role in the offense.

After playing 45 snaps on Sunday but never getting the ball, McLaurin said, “I ran a lot of cardio,” and added, “Yeah, it’s frustrating.”

Commanders head coach Ron Rivera said he and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy have both talked to McLaurin about his frustrations.

“I’ve talked with Terry before, and we’ve talked about those things, and I know he’s talked to Eric, and he’s gone in, and he and EB have good conversations from what I understand,” Rivera said, via USA Today. “That’s then to me that’s the way you handle it is you go in and you talk directly. I think that’s big of what he’s been doing. It’s been big of him to come in and fight the frustration and talk about it if that’s what needs to be.”

McLaurin is having his worst season across the board: He’s averaging a career-low 11.6 yards per catch, a career-low 6.9 yards per target, a career-low 53.4 yards per game and a career-low 48 percent success rate on his catches. It’s easy to see why he’s frustrated.

It’s the Andy Reid/Bienemy offense. Usually the outside WRs don’t go off in it.

hopefully our next coach finds creative ways to feed Terry.

• Like 2

I have this feeling that he, Jon Allen & Payne will be moved this offseason either in March or during the draft or maybe this summer bc it will be after June 1st.

I think Harris & the people he brings in is going to want to blow it up and start from scratch. 

• Like 1

I'd be frustrated too if I was playing with Sam Howell. Terry had bigger games with Kyle Allen, Dwayne Haskins & Taylor Heinicke as his QB. Terry didn't suddenly get washed up after one season. Are we seriously blaming an injury 3 months ago that allows Terry to practice fully. This trade talk is absolute non-sense. 

It's the same situation when a WR like Diontae Johnson is an All Pro/Pro Bowl player when he is playing with Ben Roethlisberger then he goes to QB Kenny Pickett and then he is suddenly average. Wake up people. 

8 hours ago, taylor made said:

I'd be frustrated too if I was playing with Sam Howell. Terry had bigger games with Kyle Allen, Dwayne Haskins & Taylor Heinicke as his QB. Terry didn't suddenly get washed up after one season. Are we seriously blaming an injury 3 months ago that allows Terry to practice fully. This trade talk is absolute non-sense. 

It's the same situation when a WR like Diontae Johnson is an All Pro/Pro Bowl player when he is playing with Ben Roethlisberger then he goes to QB Kenny Pickett and then he is suddenly average. Wake up people. 

So it’s the guys fault who has the second most passing yards in the entire league that the leading receiver on our team isn’t getting enough touches? Look, I love Terry but he’s like 78th right now in creating separation and he’s scored low nearly all year with PFF. He’s not getting open and when he does he’s uncharacteristically dropping the ball. He dropped a TD pass that Howell put right in his hands against the patriots, did it again against Dallas on thanksgiving and then completely misjudged a perfectly thrown deep ball against the Dolphins. 

Is some of it on Sam? Sure it is but listing terrible QBs that Sam has clearly outplayed as some kind of gotcha is just odd. The metrics simply do not back up the idea that Terry is just running around wide open every game and not getting the ball. 

• Like 3

Is it same offense? Same guy calling plays? Because the same guy who was our OC when Terry was playing well isn't the same guy doing it now. I don't think Terry is washed. I think EB isn't doing ANY of his WRs any favors with this offense and how it is schemed and playcalled.

• Like 1

So you‘re saying Diontae Johnson is a Pro Bowl level player with a great, cerebral QB, while he’s suddenly average with Pickett who is looking more and more like a bust every game?  Sounds to me like that’s strictly, 110% on the QB play here in Pittsburgh.  As you said, Terry still had big games with Haskins and Heinicke.

I’m not even going to get into the stats and stuff that Lavar put up.  I’m just going to leave this here.  Look for the thread here, or interviews (because they are plenty) where Dolphins players were saying our offense was easy to defend.  We’re running a very dumbed down version of the Andy Reid offense, where teams know we’re going to pass the ball a truckload.  

And guess what else there is about the Andy Reid offense……….it basically doesn’t prioritize any receivers whatsoever.  The Chiefs traded Ty Hill, and has kept on trucking ever since.  It’s like how the Dodgers just constantly churn out pitching prospects.  

It is not an indictment on Sam Howell that Terry is struggling.  He’s batting some injury, but he’s also in an offense that, for lack of a better term, doesn’t care about him.  They aren’t scheming to get to him, and basically probably views him as JAG because, hell, that’s all we’ve seen from the Chiefs since they traded Hill.  

For once, it seems like the players believe in Howell.  Ever since I’ve had season tickets, I’ve watched QBs get destroyed and left in the dirt at this time of year when the team has given up, and no one wants to pick the QB up and rally behind him.  With Howell, it is completely different.  The players are buying into him.  He’s the leader that we haven’t had at the QB position since probably Mark Brunell.  Will that translate in the future?  That remains to be seen, but he deserves a chance after his performance this year to prove he can be the starter for the new regime. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So it’s the guys fault who has the second most passing yards in the entire league that the leading receiver on our team isn’t getting enough touches? Look, I love Terry but he’s like 78th right now in creating separation and he’s scored low nearly all year with PFF. He’s not getting open and when he does he’s uncharacteristically dropping the ball. He dropped a TD pass that Howell put right in his hands against the patriots, did it again against Dallas on thanksgiving and then completely misjudged a perfectly thrown deep ball against the Dolphins. 

Is some of it on Sam? Sure it is but listing terrible QBs that Sam has clearly outplayed as some kind of gotcha is just odd. The metrics simply do not back up the idea that Terry is just running around wide open every game and not getting the ball. 

But. Both Sam and Terry share responsibility for some of this. The biggest culprit is EB's inability to scheme open receivers. I see weird route trees happening at times. Not to mention EBs stuff is basic and defenses long ago learned how to defend against it. So no wonder Terry is not getting the looks he would love to get. And no wonder why we have to throw it a ton to move the ball when other teams seem to have guys running wide open and getting yards in big chunks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So you‘re saying Diontae Johnson is a Pro Bowl level player with a great, cerebral QB, while he’s suddenly average with Pickett who is looking more and more like a bust every game?  Sounds to me like that’s strictly, 110% on the QB play here in Pittsburgh.  As you said, Terry still had big games with Haskins and Heinicke.

I’m not even going to get into the stats and stuff that Lavar put up.  I’m just going to leave this here.  Look for the thread here, or interviews (because they are plenty) where Dolphins players were saying our offense was easy to defend.  We’re running a very dumbed down version of the Andy Reid offense, where teams know we’re going to pass the ball a truckload.  

And guess what else there is about the Andy Reid offense……….it basically doesn’t prioritize any receivers whatsoever.  The Chiefs traded Ty Hill, and has kept on trucking ever since.  It’s like how the Dodgers just constantly churn out pitching prospects.  

It is not an indictment on Sam Howell that Terry is struggling.  He’s batting some injury, but he’s also in an offense that, for lack of a better term, doesn’t care about him.  They aren’t scheming to get to him, and basically probably views him as JAG because, hell, that’s all we’ve seen from the Chiefs since they traded Hill.  

For once, it seems like the players believe in Howell.  Ever since I’ve had season tickets, I’ve watched QBs get destroyed and left in the dirt at this time of year when the team has given up, and no one wants to pick the QB up and rally behind him.  With Howell, it is completely different.  The players are buying into him.  He’s the leader that we haven’t had at the QB position since probably Mark Brunell.  Will that translate in the future?  That remains to be seen, but he deserves a chance after his performance this year to prove he can be the starter for the new regime. 

To add to what you and I were saying about how easy it is to defend against this offense and how much EB isn't doing the things that a guy like McDaniel is doing to get guys running free

• Like 1

I feel like I’m constantly defending Howell and to some degree I am biased. Sam does make mistakes. He’s thrown a lot of interceptions and he needs to bring that down if he wants to be the future here. He’s sped up his play quite a bit to avoid so many sacks but they’re still happening so he has to work on that too but to me, this is all part of developing a young, promising passer. I think it would be so much like this franchise to kick him to the curb chasing the next pretty girl at the dance only to have it fail while Howell succeeds elsewhere. 

• Like 2

I said it in the other thread as well, if you have players that don't feel the way Terry and Jon do, you need to find new players. It's clear that we have passionate players who want to win. That is the biggest thing to note is that winning is the most important to the equation. Some frustrations can get pushed aside as long as the team is winning. 

Now we have fans turning on the players who are venting frustrations and underperforming when the solution has been clear all year, the staff is the problem. The damage that has been done by keeping this staff on is going to have long term effects for the players that are here during "the lost season". Jon said it already, the players are done trying to "build their character" they want to WIN. Ron and Co has ruined so much potential on this team. 

• Like 3

On 12/8/2023 at 10:35 AM, Slappy Mc said:

I said it in the other thread as well, if you have players that don't feel the way Terry and Jon do, you need to find new players. It's clear that we have passionate players who want to win. That is the biggest thing to note is that winning is the most important to the equation. Some frustrations can get pushed aside as long as the team is winning. 

Now we have fans turning on the players who are venting frustrations and underperforming when the solution has been clear all year, the staff is the problem. The damage that has been done by keeping this staff on is going to have long term effects for the players that are here during "the lost season". Jon said it already, the players are done trying to "build their character" they want to WIN. Ron and Co has ruined so much potential on this team. 

Yup. At some point, players have "made enough money" (*) and their focus is on winning and their legacy in the game they love. They're competitors and want to win. I want guys on the team that hate losing.

(*) Note that this statement is individual to each player. I make no assumptions as to what is enough for someone else, just that each person has their own threshold as to what this is and it is up to them to decide. But once they are at that point where they feel they are set (and their grandchildren are set), their main focus can turn to winning. 

• Like 1