Monday Night Football "Games" Discussion GB@NY / TEN@MIA

General Tso

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

would be unheard of for OL to win the award so I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is.

I’m not the one who made the point, but I figure what he’s saying is that if losing Connor Williams has a more deleterious effect on your team than losing Tyreek, then it’d be awfully tough to suggest that Tyreek is the most valuable player in the entire league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Having two other offensive linemen out didn't help but Connor Williams is honestly the X-factor of this offense no one talks about. Not just because he's been great, but also because we literally have no one else who can competently play Center.

I really liked Connor Williams out of the draft, but i thought he was gonna be a guy who could play guard with the potential to kick out to Tackle in a pinch.  He's turned out very differently, but even better than i expected.  Didn't see him becoming one of the best, most underrated Centers in the game.

But also...Tyreek is still such a cheat code.  He's basically built to flatter and inflate QB stats in like twelve different ways.

The reality is, an individual skill player can win MVP.  An OLine guy is just too impossible to detach and quantify to make a good argument in this day and age.  It's something that functions as a unit.  I get the suggestion that situationally, due to a lack of any other competent option...the drop-off is huge and throws the entire unit into disarray.  But Cheetah is still the guy who can make a case for singlehandedly generating yards out of nowhere...even with a kinda scrubby OLine.

We absolutely do not need a dedicated Devito thread, but I want to put some thoughts out there about him on the Gen board.

He was a cute/funny story prior to Monday (and still is; he got a whole segment and song on Jimmy Fallon's late night show just last night), but he played legitimately very well against the Packers. He hadn't really played legitimately well prior to this, even in his 2 prior winning starts. I know it was a Joe Barry defense that he took advantage of, but that's still an NFL defense that frustrated and limited Patrick Mahomes the week before. He cut down his sacks from an absurd, comically large number to 0. He made plays with his legs, and he made some really great passes. That Hodgins TD throw was super impressive. The odds significantly favor him flailing and coming back down to earth soon, but what if he doesn't? The curse and blessing of Tyrod Taylor, at least at the present, is very much alive and well. I think if he starts the rest of the year and wins at least 2 more starts, meaning a win against either the Eagles or Rams would be included, you have to start actually taking him seriously and consider him as the potential week 1 starter if Daniel Jones isn't ready to come back from the ACL by then. You also have to re-evaluate your draft needs. Maybe, if you end up picking top-10 but Williams, Maye, and Jayden Daniels are gone, you take a WR, OL, or EDGE and wait to take a QB with one of your 2 second round picks.

Tommy Devito was just a cute story and one of those flash in the pan American sports phenomena a la Linsanity or Minshew Mania prior to Monday night. He actually played QB really well that night, and it turned into less of a joke. What happens if he goes into New Orleans and beats the Saints this week? Then what the hell do you do if he somehow beats the Eagles, even once, at the end of the season? How serious do you take this right now, and how serious can this be?