Week 15: Ravens @ Jags

Ray Reed

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Agree to disagree.

Ronnie Stanley’s cap hit this season is 23 million. Humphrey’s is 12. Humphrey has had some very good outings mixed with some bad ones. Stanley has been bad/below average all season.

For fun I looked at PFF grades this season. 

Humphrey: 64.5
Stanley: 64.4

So, both pretty mid. 

And yes Stanley's hit is bigger this year, but Marlon's harder to get rid of in 2024 ($18 mil vs $28 mil in dead cap). 

15 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

So, both pretty mid. 

And yes Stanley's hit is bigger this year, but Marlon's harder to get rid of in 2024 ($18 mil vs $28 mil in dead cap). 

You can't get rid of Marlon we don't have the CB depth. Stanley can GTFO I'm sick of him tbh.

On 12/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, AngusMcFife said:

IDK I think the argument stands. Stanley has played more games than Humphrey this season so you can't really say he's less injury prone since he came back last year. Stanley has played 150 more snaps than Humphrey this year. 

For the year Humphrey has 3 PDs, 0 INTs, 19 tackles. I'd say he's just an average DB, and we are getting great production out of our no-name CB group. Stephens has definitely surpassed Humphrey and Maulet and Darby as just as good at this point. 

The reason Humphrey's contract is worse is because we can plug in random vets making $1-2 million and get just as good production. Whereas you can't find random noobs at that price to play starting LT. 

I disagree. Scheme has allowed those other guys to look to be on a similar level. Whats more Humphrey is playing hurt and he’s never been the type that’s been oft injured, this is a “this year” problem that likely is resolved in the future.

If it’s not, and this becomes a consistent year in and out thing, then we can start to talk about Marlon on the same level as Stanley’s contract.

But as it stands, it’s not particularly close. Stanley has already given us wasted seasons and was oft injured and “playing through injuries” prior to TJ Watt melting his ankle.

Marlon separates himself from those other corners in his ability to be one of the best run defending corners in the league. At worst, we could always transition him over to play safety and he’d still hold value. Marlon has shown he’s not above the team, he will play nickel, outside, whatever.

Between Stanley’s below average pass protection, that’s usurped by Patrick Mekari, and Stanley being just average in run blocking… while Marlon had one bad game and has been above average outside of that… it’s not close.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 8:19 PM, AngusMcFife said:

So, both pretty mid. 

Stanley has had like 3 years to recover from injury and still looks hot and cold. He’s unreliable. Marlon just has a small sample size because he’s been hurt. With a greater career sample size, he’s shown he can perform at an above average to good coverage level and as an elite run stopping corner.

• Like 1

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Stanley has had like 3 years to recover from injury and still looks hot and cold. He’s unreliable. Marlon just has a small sample size because he’s been hurt. With a greater career sample size, he’s shown he can perform at an above average to good coverage level and as an elite run stopping corner.

And moreover on Stanley, he still has never recovered from that injury and can't even make it through a full game or practice week and ALWAYS shows up to camp injured it seems like.

Whatever it is, whether the knee injury was that bad or the guy just isn't putting in the work necessary to recover all the way - I'm over it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I disagree. Scheme has allowed those other guys to look to be on a similar level. Whats more Humphrey is playing hurt and he’s never been the type that’s been oft injured, this is a “this year” problem that likely is resolved in the future.

If it’s not, and this becomes a consistent year in and out thing, then we can start to talk about Marlon on the same level as Stanley’s contract.

But as it stands, it’s not particularly close. Stanley has already given us wasted seasons and was oft injured and “playing through injuries” prior to TJ Watt melting his ankle.

Marlon separates himself from those other corners in his ability to be one of the best run defending corners in the league. At worst, we could always transition him over to play safety and he’d still hold value. Marlon has shown he’s not above the team, he will play nickel, outside, whatever.

Between Stanley’s below average pass protection, that’s usurped by Patrick Mekari, and Stanley being just average in run blocking… while Marlon had one bad game and has been above average outside of that… it’s not close.

Marlon also played like garbage in 2021 (the year after he signed his extension). His PFF grade was 65. He was getting roasted in coverage all over the field. 

I'm just saying, 2 out of 3 of Marlon's seasons since 2020 have been graded in the mid-60s. Our pass defense didn't miss a beat when he missed games this year. And when the Rams need to drive the field to tie/win the game, their strategy was to target Marlon. 

14 hours ago, Nobellythrower said:

How?

My interpretation is that you can relate with Humphrey’s struggles while with Stanley you’re in the dark and haven’t much of a clue as to what he’s thinking.

It’d be easier to relate with Stanley and not treat him as just another athlete if as a fan there was a sense of connection with his story.

So we want Marlon to succeed more because we know of him, his sister wanting to be an actress, his family does their goofy antics, Marlon built his own rancher, etc. For those that invest in his story it gives him more slack, presumably.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 5:19 PM, AngusMcFife said:

So, both pretty mid. 

For the record, I've heard the PFF guys mention a thousand times how volatile high end CB play is. More than any other position it will bring highs and lows, even for the top 10-15 players at CB. For example, Jaire Alexander has a 65.6 grade right now and just like Marlon he was Top 10 in passer rating allowed last year. 

20 hours ago, Nobellythrower said:

How?

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

My interpretation is that you can relate with Humphrey’s struggles while with Stanley you’re in the dark and haven’t much of a clue as to what he’s thinking.

It’d be easier to relate with Stanley and not treat him as just another athlete if as a fan there was a sense of connection with his story.

So we want Marlon to succeed more because we know of him, his sister wanting to be an actress, his family does their goofy antics, Marlon built his own rancher, etc. For those that invest in his story it gives him more slack, presumably.

Yes Stanley is an aloof intellectual, not a typical "football player"