Week 16: San Francisco 49ers vs Baltimore Ravens

J-ALL-DAY

17 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

He's looked promising at times.  This position group got really thin really fast.  Outside of Givens and Kinlaw, not sure who else the team has there.  Can We call Ricky Jean Francois or someone?

I thought he was on his back way too much versus the Cards.

Doesn't seem to possess much strength in his lower base.

He's still young and working his way back from a significant knee injury so his best days are ahead of him.

But I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be with his play overall.

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I thought he was on his back way too much versus the Cards.

Doesn't seem to possess much strength in his lower base.

He's still young and working his way back from a significant knee injury so his best days are ahead of him.

But I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be with his play overall.

I will have to take a closer look.  I had to watch the game live on my p]hone because I got locked out of my comp]uter last weekend.  I entered my comp]uter p]assword wrong too many times, so I had to find out which Icloud account was connected to this comp]uter.  I am still not sure, but after an hour, I just deleted everything and started over again.  

2When I rewatched the game, I watched the rookie at safety, who was late or out of p]osition a coup]le of times, but mostly had a very solid p]erformance.  He;'s p]retty fast and strong out there. I did not watch the D-line yet. 

5 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I think Shanahan is going to motion into 4 by 1 sets to isolate whether the ravens are playing man or zone.  Then once we get a beat on how they adjust, we will motion Deebo into coverage against their linebackers.

That definitely checks out. It's how we've been handling a bunch of these Fangio-y MOFO defenses over the past few months.

12 hours ago, JIllg said:

That definitely checks out. It's how we've been handling a bunch of these Fangio-y MOFO defenses over the past few months.

The Ravens fake something, and do something else on every play.  The most noteworthy is their fake Blitz where they get the linebackers in gaps and their guys close to the line, then drop into zone on most p]lays, and man blitz a few times per game.  I am not sure I would try this against us if I were the Ravens.  Purdy eats up blitzes well, and he recognizes pre-snap holes as quickly as anyone.  

I think they will lean on the older Fangio style, with two deep safteys and guys showing a mix of man, zone, and communication stance.  I swear sometimes their dudes will talk to another dude just to not tip whether they are p]laying man or zone.  Generally they use action with their safeties for the first step or two to make the open/closed read a little muddy.  Then try to drop] into cover 1 robber, cover 3, cover 2, and cover 2 man.  They will show one, then rotate to the other.  They are very multiple and can start from base 3 or base 2 and rotate into any other coverage, but each rotation has it's weakness.

There is also a decent chance there will be at least one p]lay where CMC is matched up against a DT in pass coverage.  I am not sure how often they will pull out that variety of zone blitz, but it is something they do, and it is a possible counter to the 4 by 1 sets.  Sending 4 rushers on 3 blockers on the weak side while still dropping 7 into coverage sounds cool in the meeting room.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

If the Ravens are trying to disguise, and the 49ers are stacking one side, I think they have to line up in man on every play, then drop into zone.  If they show zone, the slot corner/Sam can't run across the field to cover his man.

If they start with base two deep against when we load up the one side, they will likely have one safety move into the box in man coverage position and keep their other one deep shaded to the weak side.  It's how they keep their run gaps sound.  Shanahan likes to pull blockers to the 1 side and out flank the 8 man box.  The matchups on the weak side edge will key to early drives for the 9ers

This game is such an interesting chess match because of all the things the Ravens can do on defense, and all of the things the 9ers do on offense.  

An interesting and unexpected twist would be if the Ravens chose this week to just line up and play defense without deceptive pre snap alignments.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

So we are likely looking at Hargrave playing, AA not. 

Ferrell playing is also good news. Would not want to try out another base downs defensive end while AA was out. But AA missing does put more Kinlaw on the field than is good for us. I think this game is going to be in the mid to high 20s for both teams actually.

9 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Sit him rest of the regular season. Only thing that’s gonna help is him staying off it. If he sits and we get the bye, six weeks of sitting will help it, then surgery in the offseason. 

Yeah, I think that's easily what we could be looking at. Plantar Fasciitis is what he had last year, and if it's that same thing flaring up, he needs rest...and I'm not even sure that will solve it. This may be something that never goes away for his career. 

Really hope we put in a claim on Joseph-Day 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

Ferrell playing is also good news. Would not want to try out another base downs defensive end while AA was out. But AA missing does put more Kinlaw on the field than is good for us. I think this game is going to be in the mid to high 20s for both teams actually.

Ferrell just needs to be disciplined and can't give up the edge as he does at times. Young plays the run well and is a much better edge rusher. It makes no sense for him to not get more snaps at this point. You will need athleticism to slow Jackson down and this is a game made for Young. 

• Like 1