QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

11 hours ago, Chali21 said:

The Raiders aren’t going to find their QBotF in FA. Across the league for the last 20 years there’s only been one guy who went to FA who paid dividends to their team and that’s Brees. Peyton and Brady where both guys who already had hardware and since their departures the teams have been struggling to find replacements after a few seasons of success. 

Cousins?

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Bro is acting like the NFL hasn’t changed in the last 4 decades 

Baker Mayfield. I was right last year about him and never got my flowers. Darnold could be even better than Baker. Darnold wouldn’t be my first choice but I’ll be fine with the pickup. 

7 hours ago, raidr4life said:

You left out Stafford. But since you mentioned Brees that's who I'm going to compare Fields to. Brees couldn't even complete 60% of his passes in his first 3 years. Show marked improvement in his last 2 seasons with SD but they chose to draft Rivers and replace him. He went to the Saints with a huge chip on his shoulder. He got  SuperBowl and Rivers did not. Somebody could get a late bloomer in Fields and a guy who will want to make the Bears regret their decision.

Stafford wasn't a FA, he was traded for a fortune. 

Brees was good in San Diego, but he was also injured with an injury that, back then, nobody really knew how well he'd improve. 

Hot take- that Saints team wins the Superbowl with Rivers too. Brees probably never wins a Superbowl in San Diego. QB was not the issue in either instance, by a long shot. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, raidr4life said:

You left out Stafford. But since you mentioned Brees that's who I'm going to compare Fields to. Brees couldn't even complete 60% of his passes in his first 3 years. Show marked improvement in his last 2 seasons with SD but they chose to draft Rivers and replace him. He went to the Saints with a huge chip on his shoulder. He got  SuperBowl and Rivers did not. Somebody could get a late bloomer in Fields and a guy who will want to make the Bears regret their decision.

Stafford was a guy the Rams traded for. I’m only talking about QBs acquired as Free Agents. What I’m saying is great QBs rarely make it to FA and rarely do they translate to a Super Bowl win.  

With Fields and the Brees comparison: Brees improved to a pro bowl level (when it actually meant something) that’s a pretty high level. Fields improved from bad to mediocre. Could he make another jump? Sure. I wouldn’t want to bet this franchise on it though. With him I actually don’t like the situation at all, one year left on his rookie deal which means the raiders would have to get him a new deal either this year or next. It could end them in QB purgatory. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Cousins?

I was only considering QBs who won a SB with their teams. While he might be the most underrated QB in recent memory his addition didn’t put the team over the hump. The Raiders need a guy who can do that. 

Warner is exactly right and this is why I feel McCarthy will thrive when the time comes. He played in a prostyle offense and played on schedule delivering throws with anticipation.

Everyone is enamored with the stats and splash plays that come from spread offenses they don't look at the details. Daniels for example. He took more sacks when pressured than any QB prospect in the last 5 years.. How can that be? He's the most athletic of the QBs right? Is he slow at processing? Can he get through reads? These are the more important things than the arm and ability to scramble. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Warner is exactly right and this is why I feel McCarthy will thrive when the time comes. He played in a prostyle offense and played on schedule delivering throws with anticipation.

Everyone is enamored with the stats and splash plays that come from spread offenses they don't look at the details. Daniels for example. He took more sacks when pressured than any QB prospect in the last 5 years.. How can that be? He's the most athletic of the QBs right? Is he slow at processing? Can he get through reads? These are the more important things than the arm and ability to scramble. 

I think this QB class is flawed. I can find issues with all the top 6 guys. I would still draft Caleb but his attitude is scary. I think I would put on QB this class and just go with a stop gap QB in free agency and even take a shot on that kid from Tulane 

10 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I was only considering QBs who won a SB with their teams. While he might be the most underrated QB in recent memory his addition didn’t put the team over the hump. The Raiders need a guy who can do that. 

Cousins elevated the Vikings from where they were. For me, getting the Raiders "over the hump" means putting them in the Wildcard/Division Champion conversation every year. I am not advocating for Cousins, but if there was a free agent of Cousins' caliber when he first hit the market, I would be interested (possibly Prescott next offseason). His age and injury make me less interested in him than trading up for a QB or trading for Fields. Also, he's probably not good enough to elevate the current Raiders team past other teams in the AFC before he retires or falls off (which may happen post-injury).

23 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Stafford was a guy the Rams traded for. I’m only talking about QBs acquired as Free Agents. What I’m saying is great QBs rarely make it to FA and rarely do they translate to a Super Bowl win.  

With Fields and the Brees comparison: Brees improved to a pro bowl level (when it actually meant something) that’s a pretty high level. Fields improved from bad to mediocre. Could he make another jump? Sure. I wouldn’t want to bet this franchise on it though. With him I actually don’t like the situation at all, one year left on his rookie deal which means the raiders would have to get him a new deal either this year or next. It could end them in QB purgatory. 

The Fields contract situation is an interesting one. I would not mind opting into his $22 million 5th-year option. I think that is still below his market value for the quality of play he has already shown.

13 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Cousins elevated the Vikings from where they were. For me, getting the Raiders "over the hump" means putting them in the Wildcard/Division Champion conversation every year. I am not advocating for Cousins, but if there was a free agent of Cousins' caliber when he first hit the market, I would be interested (possibly Prescott next offseason). His age and injury make me less interested in him than trading up for a QB or trading for Fields. Also, he's probably not good enough to elevate the current Raiders team past other teams in the AFC before he retires or falls off (which may happen post-injury).

To me you build a team to win it all. Now you might have season goals like 9 wins year one, playoffs year two and a championship year three. But you need to get guys who can get you that sb. A great example is Brady lobbying for Scarneccia to coach the line and KC hiring Spagnolo after their las SB loss. The Rams trading for stafford. 

Edited by Chali21

13 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think this QB class is flawed. I can find issues with all the top 6 guys. I would still draft Caleb but his attitude is scary. I think I would put on QB this class and just go with a stop gap QB in free agency and even take a shot on that kid from Tulane 

You can say that about every draft. Even Burrow had questions. And if you have a well built team you should be picking higher than the previous one. It’s a good way to get stuck in purgatory. Find a guy you can build with and do what it takes to get them. 

10 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The Fields contract situation is an interesting one. I would not mind opting into his $22 million 5th-year option. I think that is still below his market value for the quality of play he has already shown.

Certainly but let’s just say he is Slightly above average like Carr was do you pay him 35-40 mill a year?

13 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

You can say that about every draft. Even Burrow had questions. And if you have a well built team you should be picking higher than the previous one. It’s a good way to get stuck in purgatory. Find a guy you can build with and do what it takes to get them. 

COVID really screw up this class. Most of the guys are 24. Can't draft based on need, but this franchise don't know how to draft