QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, massraider said:

This makes sense, and if you are trying to pick out who is gonna be a massive bust, he's probably a good bet, because he could never smarten up, or he could go to a clown organization.

As much as I like this QB class I think there's a pretty clear path for Williams, Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy to be busts.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

As much as I like this QB class I think there's a pretty clear path for Williams, Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy to be busts.

Every QB has it to some degree. 

Even the greats. 

Andrew Luck is really the only one I've seen be the Day 1 exception, and there were times it was looking like, while not a "bust", he wasn't the GOAT prospect as advertised. 

This class:

1. Williams may not be able to recreate the "magic" at the NFL level, especially on a bad team. He could wind up a headcase, too. 

2. Maye could be just another NC QB and not really special. He sorta reminds me of that proverbial "safe" QB pick where there's something potentially really good but still somehow sort of vanilla, like the feeling I got with Sam Bradford.  Not comparing skills set, just the vibe. 

3. Daniels could be Lamar or he could be Reggie McNeal. It's 50/50 with these types. Small as heck and also sort of a 1 season wonder. Could be Zach Wilson from a bigger school, and thus slightly more justifiable. 

4. McCarthy could easily never take that "next step". 

5/6. Nix and Penix could very well be tapped out. Both are alright as they are, but when you draft someone, you draft with the expectation they are even better in the pros. 

Who does and doesn't bust is beyond any of us right now. But there's plenty of ways any or all of them could be busts in a few years. We could get lucky and have one of the best classes ever. But yeah, never blindly assume anyone is bust-proof. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I am really open to the idea that any of these guys could go to a bad situation, and that can really mess up a guy's career. None of these guys are bust-proof.

Which QB in this draft has the best anticipation regarding routes?

That's kind of been the thing that if I could study game tape all day, that is what I would want to know.  My problem with J. Daniels and McCarthy from watching what I could find on YouTube is that most of Daniels' highlights are him throwing 50-yard bombs to wide open receivers.  Then you watch McCarthy, and his highlights are screens and passes that come at the end of the route or to a wide-open receiver.  I haven't seen much tape on anyone where they are putting the ball in the air with the anticipation that the receiver is going to get open.  That's the guy I want.  The guy that can see the play before it fully develops.  Who from this QB class does that the best?

40 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Every QB has it to some degree. 

Even the greats. 

Andrew Luck is really the only one I've seen be the Day 1 exception, and there were times it was looking like, while not a "bust", he wasn't the GOAT prospect as advertised. 

This class:

1. Williams may not be able to recreate the "magic" at the NFL level, especially on a bad team. He could wind up a headcase, too. 

2. Maye could be just another NC QB and not really special. He sorta reminds me of that proverbial "safe" QB pick where there's something potentially really good but still somehow sort of vanilla, like the feeling I got with Sam Bradford.  Not comparing skills set, just the vibe. 

3. Daniels could be Lamar or he could be Reggie McNeal. It's 50/50 with these types. Small as heck and also sort of a 1 season wonder. Could be Zach Wilson from a bigger school, and thus slightly more justifiable. 

4. McCarthy could easily never take that "next step". 

5/6. Nix and Penix could very well be tapped out. Both are alright as they are, but when you draft someone, you draft with the expectation they are even better in the pros. 

Who does and doesn't bust is beyond any of us right now. But there's plenty of ways any or all of them could be busts in a few years. We could get lucky and have one of the best classes ever. But yeah, never blindly assume anyone is bust-proof. 

Interesting that you have that vibe about Maye. To me he reminds me of Zach Wilson, he’s got the talent and no one is questioning his being the second best QB in the draft. 

Just now, Chali21 said:

Interesting that you have that vibe about Maye. To me he reminds me of Zach Wilson, he’s got the talent and no one is questioning his being the second best QB in the draft. 

I can sort of see the Wilson comp. I give him a slight pass as he's been a consistent grower while Wilson was a 1 season wonder on a Sun Belt schedule during an opt-out year. 

I thought Wilson was a day 3 pick. Maye, I can understand the day 1 hype, like Bradford, I'm just not enamored with him. 

16 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Caleb = TLaw

Maye = Wilson

Daniels = Lance

McCarthy = Mac 

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Caleb = TLaw

Maye = Wilson

Daniels = Lance

McCarthy = Mac 

If I had to compare styles:

Caleb = Mahomes

Maye = Herbert

Daniels = Z Wilson/Manziel

McCarthy = Alex Smith/Trubisky

As prospects only, not an endorsement or indictment in any way. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

We're going to settle for Bo Nix

I like Nix and scheme fit, he'd be solid in this offense. Like that option more so than watching AOC lumber around taking sacks or some retread rinse/repeat vet like Wilson. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I like Nix and scheme fit, he'd be solid in this offense. Like that option more so than watching AOC lumber around taking sacks or some retread rinse/repeat vet like Wilson. 

I'm meh on Nix but I don't see Telesco paying the price it's going to take to move up.

I would be fine with Nix in this offense as well.  He’s not by any means my favorite prospect but he could do well here. He will have a learning curve larger than some others though possibly.